IGNORED

Additional MC's on insurance policy & cost?

RandyR

Its time to renew my motorcycle insurance policy with Progressive.

I have Comprehensive and Collision on my RSTD and liability only on my Triumph and Suzuki. I am going to have to add a 4th bike later this month when I pick up the Millenium RSV I've bought.

Progressives base/minimum price for liability only is $75. They are charging me the full $75 for 2nd and 3rd bikes, and I presume the 4th as well.

Since I can only ride 1 machine at a time, and the policy doen't cover other riders, I feel there should be a substantial discount for insuring bikes 2, 3, 4, etc. But there's not.

Do other US companies provide a better multi-bike discount ( I've seen the horrible charges our Canadian friends are paying..)

AS my agent explained to me from American Family, there are so few motorcycles insured compared to cars that they do not spend the time to come up with special plans for bikes.

That is what they told me when I checked into a discount for having collector plates. Cars with collector plates get a huge discount bikes get squat.

Guest scarylarry

My agent does give discounts, there is a catch though...

I'm with Farm Bureau, there are only certain type of bikes they will insured, croch rockets are out of the park and few others.

He did say to make things easier and safer for me call with the VIN # and make sure they are not on the blackball list...

when I pick up the Millenium RSV I've bought.

Hey Randy, Nice, but you know the rules, PicturesIn Wisconsin this year in order for an insurance company to sell liability, they, by law must add under-insured and uninsured at 100/300, which added $171 per bike.

Iv'e checked with two different companies and they both said the same thing.

But as far as a multi bike discount, Mine and one other both offer it, but it's not worth talking about.

Steve

I use Allstate, and my full coverage was $950 a year, then we added a 09 vulcan 900 for the wife, and my total policy dropped to $885.00 for the year. It is a great discount considering that I have added a bike, and they are both full coverage with a $500 deductible. We also use them for home owners and auto. My policy also covers other drivers as well should I loan a bike to someone.

Just renewed with Sentry Ins for the 4th year....Two bikes....2006 RSV and 2002 Triumph Bonneville America....

100/300/100 on the liability

100 Ded Comp and Coll on the Bonney

250/250 Ded Comp and Coll on the RSV

All discounts...Rider Training, Homeowner, STAR Member (2%), No Accidents, etc...

$385 per year....TOTAL Cost...

George In Virginia...

I want to thank Eddidy who contacted me and compared insurance rates from several companies with what I was being quoted for renewal, and saved me some $$$ with a Georgia policy that offers discounts for multiple vehicles.

Thanks Eddy

I'm in Canada and had 4 road bikes 2 years ago, and pretty much paying full insurance on each one. Every chance I had I would argue with different insurance companies that even though I had 4 motorcycles I can only ride one at a time and wanted some kind of insurance company that would take that into consideration. Well because I was never able to get anywhere with the insurance companies and tired of paying $3 K a year for insurance on 4 bikes some that got 2 or 3 hundred miles on them in a season I just gave up and now only own one motorcycle. :Venture:

I'm in Canada and had 4 road bikes 2 years ago, and pretty much paying full insurance on each one. Every chance I had I would argue with different insurance companies that even though I had 4 motorcycles I can only ride one at a time and wanted some kind of insurance company that would take that into consideration. Well because I was never able to get anywhere with the insurance companies and tired of paying $3 K a year for insurance on 4 bikes some that got 2 or 3 hundred miles on them in a season I just gave up and now only own one motorcycle. :Venture:

I'd have to think twice about even riding with those kind of premiums.

I'd have to think twice about even riding with those kind of premiums.

Yep and that's with a squeaky clean driving record and no claims. My 06 Royal Star is pretty reasonable costing me just under $500 but that's with dropping the collision coverage. That's about half what my last Harley was with collision.

Just renewed with Sentry Ins for the 4th year....Two bikes....2006 RSV and 2002 Triumph Bonneville America....

100/300/100 on the liability

100 Ded Comp and Coll on the Bonney

250/250 Ded Comp and Coll on the RSV

All discounts...Rider Training, Homeowner, STAR Member (2%), No Accidents, etc...

$385 per year....TOTAL Cost...

George In Virginia...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks gharbourjr!

Last night I called Sentry Insurance at 1-888-324-7952 & the normal American speaking agent (very important to me) took the info:

- 2008 Royal Star Venture

- about $1000 of addons (chrome, grips, air horn)

- no motorcycle accidents since 1967

- 2 driving tickets in 43 years

- located in Richmond, VA

Both of these insurance companies are quoting the exact same coverage:

- Progressive Universal Insurance Company

(with USAA Insurance discount)

$429

- Sentry Insurance - Dairyland Insurance Company

(Venture Rider Club discount)

$279

WOW - Sentry is about 35% CHEAPER!

gharbourjr, you saved me some money & I appreciate your info!

The agent I contacted is 888-373-6879 ext. 3868 - Davie Thao

I'm signing up 4/21 just before my Progressive expires...

JohnB