IGNORED

New Star Venture with Audio Issues

Monkei

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I have seen some threads that comment on this issue but they do not seem to be exactly the issue I have.

I picked up my 2009 Venture on Saturday and drive it home (120 miles) and the radio worked fine. Today I went out and I turn the bike on and the radio comes on, same station I had it on when I turned it off, however the controller has no information displayed and none of the buttons work, therefore I can't turn it down, turn it off, change the station and worse yet can't turn down the volume.

I really don't want to drive 120 miles back to find out I could have flipped a switch here or there or did a quick fix ... so if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

Thanks and I am happy to be a new member.

Keith

you may want to take the front of the fairing off and check the audio plugs.

there are several. I had the same problem with my '08 a few days after picking it up.

found the plugs are like the multi-pin gannon plugs i was familiar with in the service, but these do not have a tighting ring. so i unplugged them and used a small amount of dielectric grease on the pins and pressed the sides a little with my fingers to tighten up the two end when plugged back together and wrapped the joint with a little electrical tape.

everything was back to normal and have put 18,000 mi. with no more issues. Yamaha knows about the harness issue and was willing to order new ones to replace them. But so far happy with what worked.

Edited by Shamue
spelling

ok I will try the battery thing first, however, I would imagine that the issue which caused it in the first place will happen again, but it would be nice to be able to just turn off the radio!

I don't have a shop manual for it. Can anyone recommend one on line or ordering one?

Thanks again

+1 on the connectors in the faring

+1 on letting them do it under Warranty.

Tell them about the connectors up in the faring.

Mine would act this way when it was cold in the morning. It was warm enough in the garage when I started out; the radio would come on and all controls would work. By the time I'd ridden the 16 miles to work none of the controls would work and I couldn't turn the radio off, change channels etc..

Got inside the faring, pulled the connectors apart and put them back together a couple times to try and clean them a bit then put dielectric grease on the pins and stuck the connectors back together and haven't had a problem since.

Go back to shop... wait until you learn more on how to pull that fairing. ( just me 2 cents worth)

The other thing is that your new to this bike, and the next Question

you might have is were are the seat bolts? they are up under the

front part and you will have a 10MM long type bolt to remove on each side

they are kind of hard to find the first time, just put your fingers up under there.

This will be to get to your battery.

Keep us posted and join this wonderful site! It will be all the info you will ever need

for you new ride AND WELCOME to your new home!

Jeff

I had the same problem, which was caused by the CB radio being on. Turned it off and everything was good to go.

Since none of my buttons on my controller are working, I am not sure how I would turn off the CB, if that is the issue.

It is indeed a warranty issue as someone questioned before, but 240 mile round trip back and forth to the dealer is not a small deal, not to mention if they fix it right there and then. I don't mind riding the miles, it's the time involved, so I was just questioning if there was a quick fix to help out and people have mentioned a couple.

Thanks for the info.

To turn off the CB, just hold down the CB button for a couple of seconds. There is a little yellow light just next to the button. If CB is on, light is on. If it is that, you should still be seeing the display change CB channels.

Good Luck.

Same thing happened to my 05 when I bought it. I took it to the dealer and the serv mgr called Clarion who manufactured my radio. Clarion told serv mgr to remove fairing and put dielectric grease on all connectors. Haven't had a problem until recently. 48,000 miles and now it is doing it again. I could fix myself but since I have warranty left I will let dealer do it.

Since none of my buttons on my controller are working, I am not sure how I would turn off the CB, if that is the issue.

It is indeed a warranty issue as someone questioned before, but 240 mile round trip back and forth to the dealer is not a small deal, not to mention if they fix it right there and then. I don't mind riding the miles, it's the time involved, so I was just questioning if there was a quick fix to help out and people have mentioned a couple.

Thanks for the info.

Well then, split the faring and give it a go yourself. In the Tech section there are how-tos on splitting the faring.

Do you have passing lamps? That makes it a bit more difficult but not impossible I'll see if I can find a link and post it in this post.

One thing you have to be careful of is to slide the chrome windshield trim up more than pull out on it. You can break the tabs off if you don't. I've included a link to the fix for that too.

Splitting the faring:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=494

Fixing the Chrome trim:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=516

Edited by gibvel

You can break the tabs off if you don't. I've included a link to the fix for that too.

Yep cause we all know what happens when you don't do this right. Easy fix with the dielectric grease. Once you are in there, might as well put dielectric grease on all your connection and double up with electrical tape were ever you can.

Good luck.

thanks everyone for the quick support on this issue. I "split" the fairing and got to the audio connectors ... I was not sure which one did what, there were like 5 of them so I took each one apart and put some of the grease on each one. Took it for a spin and the audio controller did not cut off once. So so far ... good.

I saw a post on here but I can't find it now, it was on how to install a Y splitter along with pictures of the parts from Radio Shack, but I can't find it now, so if anyone could point me in that thread's direction I would appreciate it!

Thanks again

Keith

Guest tx2sturgis

Too late now Keith, but next time you split the faring, use some zipties and bundle up the connectors and secure them to the radio frame and each other to keep them from shaking around in there while riding. This helps keep some of those gremlins away.