IGNORED

I had to spread the word...

Guest human4m

Guest human4m

At the end of last Summer there I was, scratching my head in disbelief, unable to decide whether I should laugh or be disappointed... Rewind 30 minutes...

I'm puttin' along, mowing roughly 2-3 acres with my Father In Law's trusty John Deere tractor, and 72" finish mower when Crystal volunteered to use the electric Weedeater while I was mowing. "Great! Let me show you how to use it..." "Pull trigger, it cuts, keep it kinda level, make passes, and if the string gets short, give it a little 'bop' on the ground, and more will come out."

Fast forward, to the beginning- still scratching my head....

Having parked the tractor, and being done with the mowing, I decide to go commandeer the weedeater, 'cause I knew if *I* hated using it, she'd hate it more...

On my way walking toward the house, I keep seeing little pieces of yellow and green plastic, and I start to worry, because chances are I ran over one of the kids' toys again...

Nope. I approach Crystal, who is staring at the head of the weedeater, frustrated beyond belief that the F***ing string won't come out! That's when I notice, the entire guard for the weedeater is obliterated. When 'bopping' it didn't work, it turned to 'whomping' and proceeded to 'whacking' and 'smashing.' There was a handle with a trigger, and the spinning head. That's all that was left of the weedeater.

Sure enough, I tell her "Oh, it must have jammed, these things happen..." and I send her in the house to go about her business. I pull the trigger, give it a tap, and continue weedeating, as my shins are being destroyed by debris, even through my jeans.

SO- Here's the real meat of my post... Needing a new weedeater, we head to Sears and come across Excalibur of Weedeaters! It's a propane powered trimmer, with interchangeable heads, yadda yadda yadda... It uses the small camping sized propane bottles, which last around 2 hours at full throttle. (Which as you may know, the small bottles can be refilled by your 15lb propane tank from your grill with an adapter from Harbor Freight)

No mixing gas, no priming bulbs, no 50+ pulls to start. I had it assembled in 10 minutes, and started in 30 seconds! The only maintenance is changing the oil, and spark plug once in a while... Literally. That's it. I love this thing! It set us back about $160 for the 'bigger' one which I think weighs around 14lbs, and comes with a shoulder strap. Available in straight shaft, or curved. I opted for the curved.

Just had to share the joy of my new weedeater, since I was just reminded that I have to use it tomorrow.:doh:

Edited by human4m

Guest human4m
I just cut the yard yesterday. I don't use the weedeater never can get the stupid string to come out. So I can relate to the wife destroying the last one you had.:)

Margaret

The good news is, the new one has the quick change string. No bumping involved. Just stick a new piece of line in there, and go!

A couple of years ago, I broke down and bought a Toro 4 stroke week eater. No more mixing gas. It is strong and quiet. String is easy to load. The only thing is that it's a bit heavy but that's OK because I'm the only one that bothers to use it.

I also bought a 4 stroke leaf blower. The only thing I own now that requires mixing oil and gas is the chain saw and sooner or later, there will be a good 4 stroke option for those also.

Guest human4m
A couple of years ago, I broke down and bought a Toro 4 stroke week eater. No more mixing gas. It is strong and quiet. String is easy to load. The only thing is that it's a bit heavy but that's OK because I'm the only one that bothers to use it.

I also bought a 4 stroke leaf blower. The only thing I own now that requires mixing oil and gas is the chain saw and sooner or later, there will be a good 4 stroke option for those also.

My weedeater has a chainsaw-type attachment available. I wouldn't trust it for more than cutting off branches, or trimming hedges. The tiller attachment works wonders!

I used to buy weedeaters every couple of years, until '92 when I decided to buy a good one. I bought a Husqvarna professional type. I've used every year since, even using it with a blade to cut saplings in the woods behind the house. It still starts easily and runs like new.

I used to buy weedeaters every couple of years, until '92 when I decided to buy a good one. I bought a Husqvarna professional type. I've used every year since, even using it with a blade to cut saplings in the woods behind the house. It still starts easily and runs like new.

I'm was in the same boat, sometimes would do good to make one last a full season:bawling:. Finally brokedown and bought a professional Stihl.:mo money: Had it for about 8 yrs now, changed plug every other year and filter every 2-3 yrs.No problems with it starting up every year whether I want it to or not:bang head: