IGNORED

Bad motorcycle crash in Phoenix, several dead

FutureVentures

Don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news but...

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/Multiple-motorcycles-truck-involved-in-wreck-on-Carefree-Highway-89149257.html

Looks like the truck came into a line of bikes from the back, then truck or bikes caught fire, terrifying, tragic and sad.

Ride safe, watch your 6 at stop lights...

Dump truck drivers wow!!! some of the most aroggant drivers on the road and I'm going to step out on a limp here if you turn up the heat to the average IQ you'd better bring a sweater ( btw if you live on the eastern shore of Virginia/Maryland you find chicken truck drivers drive the same way)

A couple of years ago I rode in a perfect ride, disciplined, 106 bikes moving as one as least till a dump truck broke the formation and cut oof the last 20 or so bike. he flipped off one of the bike drove straight thourgh to take an exit he was going without regard for anyones safety !!!

I hope this idiot that killed three has vehicular homicide is in his future

I dont usually comment on these things, mourn a story like this in private but this is one of the sadest things ive seen. I think about these guys enjoying their ride and then this, I am sick. Part of the irony is they were on Carefree Highway.

Wanta take bets on what happens with the dump truck driver. Absolutely nothing! Big headlines, but you'll here no more of it on the news. Just a bunch of dumb a$$ motorcyclists that were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just mho.

I'm sorry for the loss to the community and to the families of those involved.

I dont usually comment on these things, mourn a story like this in private but this is one of the sadest things ive seen. I think about these guys enjoying their ride and then this, I am sick. Part of the irony is they were on Carefree Highway.

My thoughts exactly, RIP

My parents live on one side of the street and my brother on the other side. I keep a bike out there and ride through/have ridden through that intersection too many times to count. A lot of construction in that area so dump trucks are prevalent. My parents say 8-10 bikes taken down. 5 dead confirmed on local news. Intersection still closed. The flames and smoke made it appear as if a bomb had hit. My brother saw the truck driver being given standard DUI tests on the side of the road. Will update if I know more.

My heart and prayers go out to all of the riders and their family as well as the dump truck driver. what a horrible tragedy for all. There is a lot of speculation but, wait till you get the whole story before making judgements. Maybe I am naive but I cannot imagine this guy did this on purpose or intentionally. What a burden he now has to live with, if he can!

Guest scarylarry
My heart and prayers go out to all of the riders and their family as well as the dump truck driver. what a horrible tragedy for all. There is a lot of speculation but, wait till you get the whole story before making judgements. Maybe I am naive but I cannot imagine this guy did this on purpose or intentionally. What a burden he now has to live with, if he can!

Agree I drove one many years ago, ran thru a red light one time, air brakes fail.

That happen one time and I'm so thankful that no one came thru or was there, I had no prewarning on this.

Notice the report says there was no apparent impairment to the driver.

Well, either he had brain impairment, or visual impairment! If his

brakes failed, why couldn't he run the damn thing off the road?

His APPARENT IMPAIRMENT was his neglect to keep a safe distance

regardless of his "apparent clear mental state"!

I hope they throw the book at him, but GOOD!

That last link says he was "fishing for papers". We have a local trial going on where a guy was trying to reach a CD he dropped and crossed the centerline in a curve and hit a car head on. One killed and several severely injured.

To some, driving is the last thing some of these people have on their mind. This is so sad.

RandyA

I just read the local paper and the guy was aquitted yesterday on everything. The jury just said it was human error, like he did not break any laws. The DA did try to convince the jury that it is against the law to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Edited by Venturous Randy

Unfortunately so many people don't pay attention while they drive they think it's prefectly ok. Until people realize they aren't sitting in their livingroom but behind the wheel of a vehicle that can do serious harm or kill nothing is gonna happen.Which is really sad that more people will probably have to lose their lives. Everyone makes mistakes but you don't reach for papers while your driving a big truck or paint your nails or any of the other idiotic things we've heard about.

Margaret

I feel bad for everyone involved in this. Even the truck driver... but just because you didn't mean to kill and maim doesn't excuse you from punishment. And it needs to fit.

Here's another link to the Phoenix newspaper where they quoted the Walgreen's employee, "He (said) he wasn't paying attention, just shuffling with his paperwork."

I feel very bad for the riders and the families that they will leave behind. The truck driver will be judged in his own time by someone of a Higher Authority. I cant believe he was not even charged with reckless use of a motor vehicle......................something

• 3 weeks later...

Truck Driver Charged in Fatal Arizona Motorcycle Crash

The dump truck driver responsible for the deaths of four motorcyclists in a horrendous rear ender crash in Arizona has been arrested after toxicology results found methamphetamine was in his system on the day of the crash.

More in the article. I'm glad they expedited the toxicology testing.

Dave

Well one person cant fix it but alot of people can make a difference. I guess what I am saying is that maybe as a motorcycle group we need to express our thoughts to the authorities in that particular state or maybe even all the states.

When I lived in clearwater florida most of the population was retired people, now I do not have a problem with that age group but I do have a problem with that age group when they make it known that they HATE anything on 2 wheels and do not have a problem aiming at you..

So many people that work on the highways were getting hit by cars that now it is a worse crime to hit a highway worker than to hit a regular person... maybe that legislation needs to go towards motorcyclist too.... just some thoughts and ramblings...