IGNORED

HELP!! I need some educated information......

stubby62

Just joined this site a couple minutes ago. I'm looking to buy a touring bike within the near future. I happen to see a blurb about the new Stratoliner Deluxe but after going to my local dealer found out that the release date isnt until later this summer (???) Picked up a brochuer and found the most amazing bike Royal Star Venture S I was just hoping some of the members here have this bike and could give me a "review" of their own. I need a bike I can be comfortable on for long trips. I'm planning a trip to Alaska within two years. Also my girlfriend wants to start riding with me and her comfort is also a huge factor. What do you like/dislike about this model. Does anybody know if this model will be getting fuel injection in the future?? Hows the power and fuel consumption. Also I noted the seat height at 29.5 inches. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Are there any other vertically challenged riders out there with this bike?? Thanks for any info you can send. Ride safe.

Stubby

No problems...the 1999 is identical to the 2010 bike except the color.

This is what we call the 2nd gen bike.

We believe the 2nd gen is the most comfortable bike on the road. You will probably need a drivers back rest and some foot pegs for the mini crash bars on the lower fairing.

I am 5'7" with a 30 inseam...180 lbs and have no problems handing the bike. I had one of our members here Rick Bulter work on my seat to improve the comfort even more and allow both feet to touch the ground included my heals.

We are all waiting on the fuel injection...and the Gen 3 venture...supposed to change the design. I have an 07 midnight...which is like the 2010 Black. I bought it new in 2008 after the new 2009 came out and they did not change a thing on the Venture again. So it does not make any difference what year model you have on the 2nd gen...99 to 2010 all the same bikes...they all even have a Cassette player.

All Brands of bikes have thier problems...this one is no exception...mostly the whine on the straight cut gears on the clutch basket and some have a rear end whine. Sometime when the dealers install passing lights they over load the key switch and it will go out after a few years. The V 4 engine is based on the VMAX engine and is solid as a rock. It needs to rev...not lope around like a Harely. Keep the RPM up on the highway and you will be very surprized how much power is in the 1300 cc engine.

The venture has a 5 year warranty that covers everything except tires brake shoes and clutch disk... stuff that wears out.

Welcome to the site...best 12 bucks you will ever spend...folks are really friendly and love to get together to meet and eat. Just about every week somebody is having a get together. There is about 9000 members here so far.

:TEAL:

WE love the 1st and 2nd gen Ventures.

PS I cannot wait till the Strato liner deluxe comes out either.

Welcome.

I think that the Venture is a great choice

Here is the page from Star Motorcycles that will list all the specs.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/586/0/specs.aspx

I have a 2006 not the "S" but pretty much the same. As for the ride, wonderful!!!!!

Stock pillow seat is great. Lots of room for gear for your trip. depending on your riding style I know of 32 - 42 MPG I am 220 and average 36 with a heavy throttle hand.

One thing to know about this bike is that it is a V4, if you find on that you can test ride you will want to rev it up before shifting. I know that when I first rode the bike, I thought that it was underpowered for its size. This bike will easily stand cruising at 65 in 5th gear. There are others on this site that have put many more miles on theirs and can say more. I have owned Harley's and others and this is the most comfortable for me.

One of the most dependable and comfortable long distance touring bikes one can own.

With a 30 inch inseam, you're probably ok. But there are lowering links available for the rear end and the front can be lowered easily with normal tools. But you may not need that if you decide to buy a Venture.

The V4 engine is much smoother than a Vtwin, and despite what was said about it liking to be kept revved up, thats a relative thing. It pulls strongly from 3,000 rpm to its maximum at a little over 6,000 rpm. So, its no 12,000 rpm crotch rocket. The engine should go 200,000 miles without major maintenance.

Read the Technical library on the second gen. There are a few quirks and maintenance tips you need to follow, but they are minor in nature and easy to self maintain.

Any conjecture about a future third gen with fuel injection and a larger motor is just that conjecture. Top end on the 2nd gen is 130 mph.. how fast were you planning to ride on the trip to Alaska?

Just joined this site a couple minutes ago. Welcome to the family.

Does anybody know if this model will be getting fuel injection in the future?? Probably not

Stubby

Your girlfriend should be comfortable on the bike. If long trips are a problem on the butt, get in touch with Rick Butler he does a mod on the seats. You will want a back rest.

Now as for your girlfriend has she ridden before? If not take it easy for a little while take a few short trips to get her use to it. When you go through turns and curves tell her just look over your shoulder which ever way the bike is heading. She'll get the feel for it I'm sure. Great way to go places together. Hope you get to some of the meets go for it. We have an annual Maintenance day in Oberlin OH at the boss's house. Great time and you'd get to meet lots of folks.

Good luck on the bike hunt.

Margaret

now mine is a 1st gen (91 Vr) but ny wifes loves it back there. She said if your girlfrien likes to be a shutter bug then by her a nice camera and forget about her being back there shell figure it out.. ANd she has also rode on a 2nd gen and said the only thing she didnt like was that the seat seemed to move her rear end forward. I cant speak for the newer ones as Im kinda scared to try them. I sat on one at the last M&e we were at and fell in love . Speaking of he is trying to sell that bike. You might be able to get a good deal on it. Ill look up his user id and insert it into this post. I cant find his user id but nbkjones sounds wright. or inhaler cant remember if he changed it. Mini muffin might know.

David

Edited by painterman67

Just joined this site a couple minutes ago. I'm looking to buy a touring bike within the near future. I happen to see a blurb about the new Stratoliner Deluxe but after going to my local dealer found out that the release date isnt until later this summer (???) Picked up a brochuer and found the most amazing bike Royal Star Venture S I was just hoping some of the members here have this bike and could give me a "review" of their own. I need a bike I can be comfortable on for long trips. I'm planning a trip to Alaska within two years. Also my girlfriend wants to start riding with me and her comfort is also a huge factor. What do you like/dislike about this model. Does anybody know if this model will be getting fuel injection in the future?? Hows the power and fuel consumption. Also I noted the seat height at 29.5 inches. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Are there any other vertically challenged riders out there with this bike?? Thanks for any info you can send. Ride safe.

Stubby

WELCOME STUBBY!!

i'm just 14 miles down the road from you, be glad to show you whats what about the venture, and i'm tight with the local yamaha dealership owner, lets get together for a cup!

mike.

First off, :welcome1:to the asylum!!!

Also I noted the seat height at 29.5 inches. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Are there any other vertically challenged riders out there with this bike??

If I could increase my 27" inseam to 30, I could get both heels down at the same time!!! :happy34:

Don't get me wrong, these bikes are tall and DO weigh close to 900lbs. AND yes they will occasionally remind you of that! All of us who ride one have had it on the crash bars once or twice, or several times. If not they will, but not a big deal, just keep your feet out from under it! They are not THAT hard to pick up. :innocent:

All kidding aside you should be good to go. I have lowered the front of mine one inch, by pushing the fork tubes up in the triple tree. This helped me get more off my toes on the ground and really helped the slow speed handling. With the navigator on board I can put both heels down, now. There is always the option to lower the rear as well, but I don't wanna do that and lose the slow speed handling.

I think you and your navigator will like, uh love, the bike. Just remind her no posture readjustments below 10 mph, or you may get the opportunity for her to help you learn the proper procedure for up righting your steed. :yikes:

Again Welcome!!!

Walter

First of all you won't find the perfect bike, they all seem to have their own inherent quirks and flaws. I've owned a 1000 Concours, 1200 GW, 1500 GW, and a Valkyrie; but this is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden on, it's a great touring bike. I have ridden a BMW K1200LT for quite a few miles; it would be close to or equal the ride in comfort. IMO

But again, it does come with many pro's and does have a few cons.

I have heard from many people here and my wife and I would agree. This bike is like a couch on wheels.

Speed, comfort, looks, and storage. Mine is an 07 and love it.

Millage ranges 35 mpg to 48 mpg.

Good luck and happy riding.

Take eusa1 up on his offer. This is a great bunch of people here who are always willing to help.

I have a '99 RSV with 26K miles on it and I have owned that as the orig owner since 2000. I also bought a Strat '06 last year.

Both are great bikes. Both run very well. The RSV is smoother and glides and rides like a luxury car. The Strat has torque and feels like a cruiser should - more like a sports car.

I am vertically challenged as well, 5'8" w/30" inseam. I had the the "Butt"ler mod done to my pillow top seats as well on my RSV - love it.

The two bikes are two different beasts. Both ride well, feel great, and handle superbly for what they are to each its own.

I have ridden Honda GW's, HD's tour and cruisers, and Victory's. I still like the RSV and Strat over those. And this is just MY opinion. I think Yamaha makes a very solid machine.

Long distance - RSV has a better ride for me - less vibration, smoother ride, more comfy room for passenger (wife), and bigger storage. SO when we take trips and we have several days to ride - RSV hands down. It also has the communication system - built in.

Around town and short "day" rides - I like my Strat, it is fun, quick, and sparkly! I can do about 6 hours top, of solid riding - the Strat has more room, but you sit further back from the bars then an RSV - and I have the risers and all that jazz just short of the flanders bars, so my arms and shoulders start to ache by end of day on the Strat.

I can't wait till Yammy updates the RSV w/FI and some other modern conveniences, that being said, I am still VERY happy with my choice - and I am a picky SOB. :-)

YMMV - but asking anyone here what they think of an RSV is like asking a kid in a candy store if they like sweets. ;-)

I know several people will chime in on this - most of them have ridden other bikes as well, and some even changed bikes and then came back, some changed and regret it.

Best thing for YOU to do - is ride one. Ride an HD. Ride a Honda GW, ride a Victory Vision or the like, ride em ALL. See which one fits you best. If the RSV does, then know one thing, you have a very dependable bike that will give you YEARS of riding pleasure, fun, comfort, and stability.

HTH

:thumbsup2:

Hi Stubby

Welcome. You will find good people and an incredible amount of information here.

All I can say is I love my Venture. Every time I ride it I am glad I have it. No buyers remorse of any kind. The bike is comfortable and has been problem free. It is fun to ride and if you want to accessories stuff is available. For me that is part of the fun. Handling all the weight of a big bike takes some getting used to. But that is part of the charm. So if you buy it - enjoy it.

Mike

Welcome aboard! I have a 29" inseam and can keep my feet flat on the ground with my 2nd gen but not my heels on my 1st gen. Both are Ventures. Keep in mind that thy 2nd Gens are a bit top heavy but it only comes into play at low speed handling. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable bike, especially for 2 up. The best bet is to take one for a test drive before making any decisions.

They are pretty much bullet proof and run for a very long time...

Like others have said here, Pretty Dependable machines. I got mine new 4-1/2 years ago. It now has over 64,000 miles on it and is in the shop for warranty work for the first time as we speak (lost cylinder #3 ignition coil and while it's in there, getting the rear shock replaced under warranty).

Lots of info on this sight as far as routine maintenance, overwhelming discussions on different tires and oils, etc. Soak it up and then take one for a test ride and decide from there.

Welcome Aboard, Scooter Bob