IGNORED

Blinker Lens Screw?

Is the screw that holds the blinker lens in something different than a regular phillips head?

I was trying to use a standard phillips screwdriver and did not have any success.

I am trying to figure if mine are wallowed out phillips head or something different as far as the head goes.

There are different Phillips head and cross cut slot designs. Some are deeper and pointier. Some have wider or narrower slots. Try a different screwdriver. If you do not get one that fits well you can strip the head.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa
spell check

If the Head is somewhat stripped, put some Valve Lapping Paste on the Tip of the Screwdriver. Members reported there are other Pastes for exact this Purpose on sale at the big Stores which work fine also, i don't remember any Names, tough.

They are Phillips head, and yours are stripped out. Mine were getting that way too, I almost couldn't get one of them out a couple weeks ago when I needed to change a bulb. They are just way too soft and strip easily. I ended up removing all of mine, went to a local ACE Hardware and got stainless steel replacements. They actually looked nearly identical, but the heads were just a wee bit larger. Had to run a file around the outside edge of the heads to make them fit right. Didn't take much.

Joe

Ross, Let me know when your done with your battle

on getting that screw out and if you damaged your lens.

I will send you another one. just let me know if it is

the clear one or the amber one , I just had one with the

screw stripped as well, when I was doing my LED Mod.

Mine was perfect, It broke off half way into the blinker housing! :shock3:

I had to replace the housing :( and that sucked cuz I had to run

the wire back through my running lights. A 2 Min Job turned into

and 1.5 hours :eek: might even have a extra screw for ya as well.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

The screws in the blinkers rusted on mine so I replaced the amber lenses with clear and replaced the stock screws with stainless Allen heads. they are far better than the Phillips. Actually wondering if the stock screws (like some others on the bike) are JIS rather than Phillips. It might explain why they stripped. Although the JIS looks like Phillips, they don't fit the screwdriver the same way.

Ross

I think you are correct in that they are JIS, I did however find

that grinding a Philips screw driver down on the tip a bit helped a little bit better.

I love the idea of the Allen head though.. did you have to grind the head of the Allen bolt at all? (to make it fit)

Thanks,

Jeff

I think you are correct in that they are JIS, I did however find

that grinding a Philips screw driver down on the tip a bit helped a little bit better.

I love the idea of the Allen head though.. did you have to grind the head of the Allen bolt at all? (to make it fit)

Thanks,

Jeff

I can't remember the size of the Allen bolts I used but there was no problem with clearance for the head in the recess in the lens. I wrapped a little teflon tape around the upper part of the shaft to act as a gasket to keep water intrusion to a minimum. Its now very easy to remove the headlight lens; much better than before...

One note: You have to be careful tightening the Allen bolt - very easy to over-tighten and crack the lens.

Ross

Those are #1 Phillips instead of the standard #2 Phillips. Oddly enough, if your screws are in good enough shape the #2 in your bike's tool kit will fit. It is possible that you have crud built up inside the tool slots preventing you from getting a proper purchase to the screw..

That almost sounded indecent no?