IGNORED

another garmin for the scoot?

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Another new one for bikes: The Garmin 220.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Zumo-220-Motorcycle-Navigation-System-P2326.aspx

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-3-5-Inch-Bluetooth-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0035JERXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269021580&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Garmin zumo 220 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51O63gbSLyL.@@AMEPARAM@@51O63gbSLyL[/ame]

Guest tx2sturgis
And $600 is the new "cheaper" model. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

I guess I will not be using GPS in the rain any time soon.

I'm guessing the price will drop...u never know. Yeah, I use the cheapest nuvi 200 on mine, when I take it, which is not often. I sealed all the openings and case seam with silicone and called it good. At the very worst, I figure i can buy several, $100 GPS units ( for one MC unit) if i somehow manage to ruin one in a downpour. Actually, it hasnt happened and it still works fine. Plus, if someone steals the old thing now, its outdated and not expensive to replace anyway, compared to a $500 or $999(!!!) Zumo...wholly crap...who BUYS those things?

I'm guessing the price will drop...u never know. Yeah, I use the cheapest nuvi 200 on mine, when I take it, which is not often. I sealed all the openings and case seam with silicone and called it good. At the very worst, I figure i can buy several, $100 GPS units ( for one MC unit) if i somehow manage to ruin one in a downpour. Actually, it hasnt happened and it still works fine. Plus, if someone steals the old thing now, its outdated and not expensive to replace anyway, compared to a $500 or $999(!!!) Zumo...wholly crap...who BUYS those things?

oooooops - I have one with XM radio. :smile5:

I'm guessing the price will drop...u never know. Yeah, I use the cheapest nuvi 200 on mine, when I take it, which is not often. I sealed all the openings and case seam with silicone and called it good. At the very worst, I figure i can buy several, $100 GPS units ( for one MC unit) if i somehow manage to ruin one in a downpour. Actually, it hasnt happened and it still works fine. Plus, if someone steals the old thing now, its outdated and not expensive to replace anyway, ...

Yup yup. I have not doubts that the price will drop, it never takes long and the GARMIN MSRP is pretty much worthless (as with most MSRPs). A while back I used to sell GPS units and we had a decent mark up (over the store's cost) and even with that markup it was no where near the MSRP.

I'm sure it is a nice unit and it sounds like those that have the Zumos really do like them a lot.

My GPS V Deluxe still serves me just fine... when I use it.

My g/f's mom got me a Ram mount that is compatible with the G/F's Garmin Nuvi 255W (I think) so "we" may start using that sometime in the future but as of right now. Anyways, different story for a different time.

As far as rain protection goes, I hadn't considered running sealant around it - I had just planned on using the plastic bag method in a pinch. Although, my GPS V claims to be water resistant up to 3 meters or something, it doesn't make its way on the bike very often either...

compared to a $500 or $999(!!!) Zumo...wholly crap...who BUYS those things?

Watch it, I think we may be out numbered :stirthepot:

I currently use the Garmin Streetpilot 2730. I really enjoy XM radio. That's what I really like about this unit. GPS, XM and MP3 all in one. Unfortunately, I have been having a few issues with the 2730 and its currently at Garmin for repair/replacement. They don't make these anymore and I found this refurbished unit for $300, but have not found them at that price since. I started researching the other available units and the only other unit I could find with GPS and XM was the Zumo. I don't even care if its Motorcycle specific. Too bad this one doesn't have that capability. Doesn't even look like it has MP3. Anyone know of any others I could research that have at a minimum GPS and XM?

Thanks,

Jay

I have the ZUMO..paid around 575 for it new I think..but to ME its worth every penny..I take it in my truck with me when Im on the road and sure is better than the "Junk"that is provided....BTW Brian,How are you liking the setup they have put in the trucks? I was up in your area all week..St#835,6084 then Midland..was lookin for ya.

I currently use the Garmin Streetpilot 2730. I really enjoy XM radio. That's what I really like about this unit. GPS, XM and MP3 all in one. Unfortunately, I have been having a few issues with the 2730 and its currently at Garmin for repair/replacement. They don't make these anymore and I found this refurbished unit for $300, but have not found them at that price since. I started researching the other available units and the only other unit I could find with GPS and XM was the Zumo. I don't even care if its Motorcycle specific. Too bad this one doesn't have that capability. Doesn't even look like it has MP3. Anyone know of any others I could research that have at a minimum GPS and XM?

Thanks,

Jay

ZUMO 550 can be found now for a decent price (have to get the xm30 antenna though), and I like my 550. Also, the 655 has the xm antenna but I will wait till these things come down to at least 500. :crying:

ZUMO 550 can be found now for a decent price (have to get the xm30 antenna though), and I like my 550. Also, the 655 has the xm antenna but I will wait till these things come down to at least 500. :crying:

Well if I end up going to the Zumo 550 at least I already have the XM antenna that came with the 2730 that will work with the zumo. Cheapest I have been able to find has been about $600. I would make the switch if I could find one from a reputable seller for $400 or less.

Thanks,

Jay

Well Garmin really stepped up to the plate on this one. I received back an entirely new unit. I had updated my maps and when I asked about it for the new one they sent me a free 2010 update. Installed it yesterday and all is great. Even took it out on Wednesday the day it arrived on the bike and the XM worked perfectly, since your subscription is based off the antenna. Based on this service I will never buy anything but Garmin.

This is how I am going to use my GPS

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-Laguna-GPS-Tank-Backpack/dp/B002KPJ25C]Amazon.com: Firstgear Laguna GPS Tank Bag with Backpack - --/--: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319JUYgmu8L.@@AMEPARAM@@319JUYgmu8L[/ame]

I currently use the Garmin Streetpilot 2730. They don't make these anymore and I found this refurbished unit for $300, but have not found them at that price since.

Jay

When I bought my bike (used from a HD dealer) the previous owner had taken the GPS unit but left the mount and wiring attached. After some detective work I find it was a 2650 but the guy at the GPS booth at the TO motorcycle show told me to go to the 2730, same wiring and mount and a much better unit.

I go onto Ebay and I can't believe what they go for ..... used (usually missing some parts but claim to be working) for $150+. WHEN you can find them! I'm looking in the weekly flyers and I can get a new GPS for that price.... what gives?

I just want the basic GPS, maybe I should go back to searching for a 2650 on Ebay?

I have a couple of cheap GPS's, and the only gripe I have about either one is the screen will wash out in direct sunlight, when mounted on the scoot.... So, I found that the Garmin c550 Streetpilot has the same anti-glare screen that the Zumo 550 has although a little smaller screen, and the unit isn't waterproof, which isn't that big of a deal. One of the cheapies I have has a screen info bar at the bottom that gives me the mph, which I like a lot. The other does not, but you can get it by going to the GPS info page.... a PITA. I don't know if the c550 has that info available, but I figure the screen is the big issue and I'll live with no mph. Like I memtioned the c550 has a smaller screen, but it's still touch driven. My feeling is with the smaller screen it won't look so big and take over everything else on the dash, and would be easier to find a spot to mount. Now here's the good news. They can be had for less than a 'C' note on Ebay, and they have a 'bike' mount available. Just be careful when buying one that it is unlocked as it does have that feature, and if you can't unlock it, because the seller failed to mention it, it has to go to Garmin to be unlocked. My :2cents:

PS: It also has Bluetooth, and an MP3 player. Cell phone compatable via blue.