IGNORED

Had to send my baby away!

Scooter Bob

:bawling::bawling:

She ran fine on the way to work Wednesday, but when I left she was running like crap.:crying:

Found the number 3 cylinder has no spark. Probably lost a coil.:think:

Took it to the shop in FDL tonight after work. They said they'll check it out right away and get parts ordered and should have it back sometime next week. While they're at it, I told them about the back shock not dampening much anymore. Hopefully we'll get that covered too.

Not too bad though. 64,360 miles in 4 and a half years and this is the first warranty work she's needed.:thumbsup2:

While she's in there, I'm going to pay them $250 to do the valve adjustment.:mo money:

Hopefully she'll be good to go for the rest of the summer.:thumbsup2:

Later, Scooter Bob

NOT:Venture::bawling:

The coil is bad for #3 cylinder. They have that and the rear shock on order and will fix both under warranty.:cool10::happy34:

However, pay close attention folks, this one surprised me.:whistling:

They quoted $250 to do the valve adjustment. Turns out that price doesn't include the gaskets.:confused24:

They say they are rubber and don't need to be changed every time. :doh:

But since mine was already leaking some on the back head they want to replace them. I told them go ahead, but these gaskets are $120 for both.:mo money:

I wonder if that's why the other shop 30 miles further up the road told me $350 for the job, maybe they include the gaskets.:think:

So check carefully when you're looking into valve adjustment.

Later, Scooter Bob

Bob,

Glad to hear they are doing the warranty work for you, but that sounds like BS on the gaskets. I have replaced valve cover gaskets on MANY Ventures and even with all the rubber buttons on top being replaced too it wasn't anywhere nears $120 per bank :2cents:

Bob,

Glad to hear they are doing the warranty work for you, but that sounds like BS on the gaskets. I have replaced valve cover gaskets on MANY Ventures and even with all the rubber buttons on top being replaced too it wasn't anywhere nears $120 per bank :2cents:

And if they are leaking, they ought to be covered under warranty:bang head: Craig

Bob,

$120 was for all the gaskets for the job, both banks, including the Governor's share.:mo money:

And if they are leaking, they ought to be covered under warranty:bang head: Craig

Ya, I tried to argue that a bit with them but...:whistling:

books says to do this adjustment every 26,000 miles, this is the first at 64,000.:no-no-no:

I know, some will say shame on me,:no-no-no: but it ran soooo goood.:cool10:

I thought about just replacing the back one, :think: but I was concerned about the front one starting to leak mid summer after being opened up.

This way it should be good to go for a few years again.:banana:

Later, Scooter Bob

$25.88 each on Bike Bandit. I bought a set of these gaskets from FDL along with a set of carb bowl gaskets and, IIRC, it was about $85. You may want to chat with the Service Manager (I think his name is Al) cause $120 for the set sounds kind of high. You may want to ask if that includes the rubber seals around each bolt. Bike Bandit has them for $6.23 each (total of $100 for the 16 req'd - doubt they are included).

Overall, the boys in FDL are a really good dealer. They have been straight shooters with me for several years. It doesn't sound like they gave you any trouble with the warranty claims. That's good.

Glad you able to get this done early in the year while there is still snow on the ground (for those non-Wisconsinites - it snowed last night).

RR

I just looked at Partshark.com and the price for your valve cover gaskets are just over 18 bucks each.....

I would have a long talk with them.....

Brian

If there is a next time, I'll do it myself, and look for a better parts price. I know a VR member in FDL that has the tools and soon will have the knowhow when he does his this spring.:stickpoke:

As far as paying the shop, ya it's a hundred and twenty more than expected,:doh: but I did think:scratchchin: it would help the other warranty stuff a bit if I paid for some work that should have been done long ago.:whistling:

They are throwing a new shock on, and didn't say a word about the trailer hitch or the luggage rack or how much stuff I've hauled with this beast.:happy34:

Later, Scooter Bob

$25.88 each on Bike Bandit. You may want to chat with the Service Manager (I think his name is Al) cause $120 for the set sounds kind of high. You may want to ask if that includes the rubber seals around each bolt. Bike Bandit has them for $6.23 each (total of $100 for the 16 req'd - doubt they are included).

RR

I will find out what I got for the $120. So far the only person I've talked to is the service writer gal, and I don't remember her name.

Thanks for the info, Scooter Bob

Your not getting totally jammed, he's making a bit of money off the valve adj and who can blame him. As long as they do a good job with the warranty work your still ahead of the game. And as far as adj the valves when it says to...nothing but a money grab there. Your right at the mileage where they should be checked. I have never seen a Venture 1st or 2nd gen that needed the valve adj before 50K miles

If there is a next time, I'll do it myself, and look for a better parts price. I know a VR member in FDL that has the tools and soon will have the knowhow when he does his this spring.:stickpoke:

Hoping to get started on it tomorrow. I'm going to be the good house slave today in exchange for guilt-free shop freedom tomorrow. Not sure I will get to the valves, but I will have the carbs off (setting float levels), the front fairing off (tightening steering head, adding risers and rerouting cables if needed). Already have the rear end taken apart (inspection of gears, lube drive shaft splines, pins, and hub spline, replace circlip damaged last time I lubed pins). I will post pics when I get it all torn apart. They will be X-Rated since the Venture will be almost naked.

RR

I will find out what I got for the $120. So far the only person I've talked to is the service writer gal, and I don't remember her name.

Thanks for the info, Scooter Bob

Her name is Diane. Very nice and helpful young lady. It will serve you well to humor her.

RR

I guess that back shock has been slowly dying.:think:

Kinda like you're the only one who doesn't see your puppy getting bigger.:whistling::bang head:

Felt like a new bike again. :happy34:Now I'm looking for corners again instead of slowing down for them.:doh:

The shock and the bad coil were replaced under warranty ( can't complain, 4-1/2 years and over 64,300 miles).:thumbsup2:

The valve adjust ended up at $318 including new gaskets. Turns out they thought $56 per bank, ended up $56 for the motor. She said a couple were a little tight, and a couple were a little loose.

But boy does sshe run good now!!:thumbsup::happy65:

Almost ready for a long distance summer, Scooter Bob

:Venture:

I guess that back shock has been slowly dying.:think:

Kinda like you're the only one who doesn't see your puppy getting bigger.:whistling::bang head:

Felt like a new bike again. :happy34:Now I'm looking for corners again instead of slowing down for them.:doh:

The shock and the bad coil were replaced under warranty ( can't complain, 4-1/2 years and over 64,300 miles).:thumbsup2:

The valve adjust ended up at $318 including new gaskets. Turns out they thought $56 per bank, ended up $56 for the motor. She said a couple were a little tight, and a couple were a little loose.

But boy does sshe run good now!!:thumbsup::happy65:

Almost ready for a long distance summer, Scooter Bob

:Venture:

ATTA BOY BOB thanks for the information. Did you hear last week when you were in FLA and freezing it was in the 60's up here...:stickpoke:

Scooter Bob,

Sorry I wasn't around last night, had to be up nort' for bizness. Sounds like Diane got you well taken care of. Glad to hear. They are one of the good dealers.

Got a call from Russell Day Long Wednesday and it sound like the upgrade of your old seat will arrive next week. WooooHoooo.

Hoping to get some wrenching time in tomorrow. May have to go over to the MIL's house and do some plumbing work though. Did I mention I hate plumbing work? I do. Oh well, it will afford me at least another guilt free wrenching day in return.

RR