IGNORED

Question: Has someboby been messin' with my motor?

harventure

Howdy to all and thanks in advance for your help. I have a 90 vr with 13k on it that pulls the front wheel off the ground on a smooth shift into 2nd gear. That isn't normal is it? When you look at the weight to HP ratio and then factor my big ass on it, this doesn't seem likely to me. All my other bikes have been lighter with shorter gears & about the same HP and this one is definitely quicker. I've talked to people at 2 local Yamaha dealers and they seem at least as puzzled as I am. I need to get the valves etc. done in a couple thousand miles and wondering if there's anything they need to know about and how I can find out more about it. Can anyone recommend a shop anywhere in my area? I live near Duluth MN. The guy I bought it from had it about 5 years and put 3k on it, bought it in Colorado & says he doesn't know anything about the history. Thanks again.

The First Gens will do that pretty easily. First gear you won't even need to slip the clutch, just goose it and lift up the front. Also if you run second gear out to about 90 mph and shift into third it will lift the front tire again. Pretty impressive for an 800 pound crotch rocket.... I know this from experience.....

If I have a v-max differential, it fits perfectly & looks brand new. I did notice that some, but not all of the bolts on the heads have signs of having had a wrench on them. The motor runs absolutely perfect, starts right up and if its over 55-60 degrees i can shut the choke off right away and it never dies. I do get a little popping on deceleration at high RPM, but I figured that's probably one of those gaskets (doughnuts?) in the pipes.

Howdy to all and thanks in advance for your help. I have a 90 vr with 13k on it that pulls the front wheel off the ground on a smooth shift into 2nd gear. That isn't normal is it? When you look at the weight to HP ratio and then factor my big ass on it, this doesn't seem likely to me. All my other bikes have been lighter with shorter gears & about the same HP and this one is definitely quicker. I've talked to people at 2 local Yamaha dealers and they seem at least as puzzled as I am. I need to get the valves etc. done in a couple thousand miles and wondering if there's anything they need to know about and how I can find out more about it. Can anyone recommend a shop anywhere in my area? I live near Duluth MN. The guy I bought it from had it about 5 years and put 3k on it, bought it in Colorado & says he doesn't know anything about the history. Thanks again.

My 87 did the same thing, scared the crap outta me the first time, you get use to it:big-grin-emoticon: Craig

My 85 will lift the front tire almost any time I like, without dropping the clutch in hard, scared the crap outta me the first time, tho.

I think as long as these bikes are in good tune and shape most can do that.

If you only have 16k miles on that you shouldnt really need valves done yet, at least that what I have read in here from some of the experts.

Brian

Well, I'm starting to feel better about the bike, but not the local Yamaha dealers. I get the feeling that they don't know much about the 1st gen. As far as the valves go, can you hear obvious noise when they need adjustment? All my air cooled 4's you could tell when the valves were off just by listening. Is there a general consensus about when they should be done? Thanks again.

I dunno, but my 85 has about 36k miles and it hasnt had the valve lash adjusted yet and It runs great. I am sure one of the gurus will check in shortly and have the right answer, but my personal opinion that if everything runs good dont mess with it. I try to do regular maintenance but shims can be a major job from what I read, and most guys that have done it find very little adjustment, if any at all, needed.

Just be sure to change your plugs and fuel filter regularly.

Brian

dont worry about the front tire coming of the ground. I can pull the front end up and put the rear end on the trailer hitch any time I fill like it. As far as the valve adjustment Im not sure, but I did hear something about freebird possibly doing a clinic on how to do this job at maintenece day.

David

Well if you want to know how to pop that tire up in higher gears let us know. Our Ambassador informed the muffinman how to do those things. You think he'd know better. I honestly don't remember muffinman ever doing the valves, but I could have missed that. If you can get to maintenance day it's June 19th in Oberlin OH the more the merrier.

Margaret

First off, welcome to the Board !!

Second, yes those v4's are very capable and if the Ride is tuned well, it lifts the front Wheel once in a while.

Third, Valve Clearance Check is due at every 26 000 mls. I really suggest to get the Check done, because the Valve Clearance will get tighter over the Miles and you won't hear any Noise from the Valve Train until a EX Valve is burned. I'd do it again at 52 000 mls and then again at 80 000 mls. Then again when the next major Tear Down is done.