IGNORED

rear wheel .. clicking?

Guest seuadr

Guest seuadr

ok, question for you folks, i have some ideas, but i also have alot of homework and want to get the opinions of the more educated masses here before i am able to do any testing.

i have a rear wheel wobble/clicking it's verticle, as in, it moves up and down rather than side to side

the problem occures:

in neutral, or gear, regardless of gear.

it is not RPM dependant

it IS speed dependant (that is to say, it speeds up as i do, and slows down as I do)

The rear brake quiets it (that is to say when i hit the brake, it gets softer, or at low speeds quits all together)

things i have done recently:

replaced the final drive oil with brand new 80w 90

replaced and balanced the rear tire

repacked the rear splines (using 60% moly paste)

i suspect that when i changed the tires, i warped the rotor a little, and that is why it is speed dependant and not rpm dependant. i would assume the easiest way to test that would be to remove the rear wheel, and run the bike through the gears on a stand with no wheel, no click, must be the wheel.

any other suspicious things i should check? any known problems that sound similar? I really appreciate any feedback, guys, thanks!

i have a rear wheel wobble/clicking it's verticle, as in, it moves up and down rather than side to side

not quite clear on the above...

do you mean there's up and down "free play" in the wheel..??

First thing that comes to my mind is bearings

Guest seuadr
not quite clear on the above...

do you mean there's up and down "free play" in the wheel..??

First thing that comes to my mind is bearings

it feels like the it bounces slightly, yes.

bearings, had not thought of that, i'll check those! thanks!

now back to the uh.. wonders.. of circles and trigonometry.:rolleyes:

it feels like the it bounces slightly, yes.

bearings, had not thought of that, i'll check those! thanks!

now back to the uh.. wonders.. of circles and trigonometry.:rolleyes:

So you've checked this while on the centre stand, rear wheel off the ground? Put a 2x4 under the wheel to act as a "lever" and raise the bottom of the wheel up and down to see if it shows movement while at the same time the swing arm doesn't move. Might also be swing arm bushings??

Are you sure you don't have a playing card and a clothespin in the spokes? That's what Yammer Dan does to make his sound better.:stickpoke:

Check it with the 2x4, as mentioned. Also, remove the rear caliper, and try it, to see if it goes away. If it's the rotor, that should tell you right away. Did you get the tire seated good ALL of the way around the rim? If not, it could make it seem out of round. Check it.

Sounds like it could be bearings, but it didn't do it before, did it? If it was fine before, then it must be something you did.

Guest seuadr
So you've checked this while on the centre stand, rear wheel off the ground? Put a 2x4 under the wheel to act as a "lever" and raise the bottom of the wheel up and down to see if it shows movement while at the same time the swing arm doesn't move. Might also be swing arm bushings??

i have not checked the play in the bearings, no, i will do that as soon as i am done with homework (taking a break between assingments to check here, and let my brain relax a moment!)

Also, remove the rear caliper, and try it, to see if it goes away. If it's the rotor, that should tell you right away. Did you get the tire seated good ALL of the way around the rim? If not, it could make it seem out of round. Check it.

the rear wheel did balance fine when i replaced the tire, but i will definitally check to make sure it is uniformly seated. i'll check the caliper, too.

Sounds like it could be bearings, but it didn't do it before, did it? If it was fine before, then it must be something you did.

couldn't tell you if it did it before or not, last time this lady went down the road was 2002. I did grease up everything i saw i could put grease in, and the bearings didn't seem to have any play, but that was simply from my point of view when i looked at them, i didn't think to check them with a 2X4 like mentioned. Fortunatly, i assumed that sooner or later i would have to replace them, so i ordered a bearing for the rear, and both for the front when i ordered my other parts. they would have been installed anyhow, but it was so damn nice today I put it off till this weekend!

:doh:

Guest seuadr

well, i am back from testing it out. the results were:

No side to side play in the wheel

No up and down play in the wheel (using the 2X4 method)

brake rotor is definitally warped. i straightened it out quite a bit, but it'll need replacing in the very near future.

when i took the caliper off, there was no clacking.

my suspicion now is that the clacking is from the front of the brake bracket tapping the swing arm because of the movement of the caliper on the rotor because of the warpage. i straightened the rotor out quite a bit, but its still got a little bit of a tweak to it. i have a little time to take a short ride tommorow and we'll see if the clacking and slight movement are less, if so, i think we found the culprit. if not, well, round 2!

:Avatars_Gee_George:

thanks for all the insight thus far, guys!:happy34:

Check for looseness of the brake pads in the calipers. They could be rattling back and forth but will quiet when the brakes are applied. Even lightly. The very reason some brake systems have anti-rattle hardware. Also make sure the calipers themselves are not moving around.

Mike

well, i am back from testing it out. the results were:

No side to side play in the wheel

No up and down play in the wheel (using the 2X4 method)

brake rotor is definitally warped. i straightened it out quite a bit, but it'll need replacing in the very near future.

when i took the caliper off, there was no clacking.

my suspicion now is that the clacking is from the front of the brake bracket tapping the swing arm because of the movement of the caliper on the rotor because of the warpage. i straightened the rotor out quite a bit, but its still got a little bit of a tweak to it. i have a little time to take a short ride tommorow and we'll see if the clacking and slight movement are less, if so, i think we found the culprit. if not, well, round 2!

:Avatars_Gee_George:

thanks for all the insight thus far, guys!:happy34:

Glad that you figured it out and your findings make perfect sense.

Guest seuadr

Rode in to work/school today .. clicking gone, 99% of the movement i felt gone now i suspect the rear wheel is either slightly out of round, or slightly unbalanced. i don't feel/hear the rotor much at all, except when stopping you can hear some pulsing as the caliper moves back and forth. sooooo. i think that was the problem!:sun:

thanks again guys!

was 28 this morning when i left, but i still have a big stupid grin on my face :happy34:

Remove the circlip and separate the spline from the wheel. It has 5 round pegs about finger size that fit tightly in steel collors in rubber in the wheel. These will click for sure when dry.They have to be greased at every tire change.

Guest seuadr
Remove the circlip and separate the spline from the wheel. It has 5 round pegs about finger size that fit tightly in steel collors in rubber in the wheel. These will click for sure when dry.They have to be greased at every tire change.

yep, greased them up with moly when i did the actual spline. thanks for the tip, though!