IGNORED

Hazards not working; front turn signals barely blink.

I searched through previous posts and could not an exact answer to my delema, so I'll ask again. I'm getting ready for an upcoming trip and did a walk around check of my lights last night and discovered that my front turn signals barely blink and aren't very distinguishable as to which side is actually doing the flashing. Back signals work great. I also tried my Hazard lights and found that they don't work at all.

Anyone had a similiar problem that might have some ideas where to check. I looked through the service manual but can't find anything specific to my problem.

Appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks,

Bobby Lane "birddog"

Had not heard of this one yet. I would remove one of the bulbs. It sounds like a short between the running lamps and the turn signals circuits if it appears that both sides blink when ever you use a turn signal. Are the rears ok ?

Ae both front bulbs the correct type and installed correctly?

Are ALL turn signal bulbs installed correctly? front and rear???? Left and Right???? that makes 4 bulbs to check!!!!! but I would check the front bulbs first!!!!!!

LOOK CLOSLEY at the bubls in the turnsignals and you will see the little indexing pins.

One is closer to the base than the other.

Look at the socket, and make SURE they were installed correctly!!!!

Then Re-test!!!!!

Replace the bulbs one at a time, as you check each bulb holder with an Ohm meter, with bulb removed, to make sure the bulb holder is " Actually grounded "

Bulbs can short out internally, without the filament, being burned up.

Also, squirt some electrical contact cleaner into the Hazard, On-Off Switch. When the Hazard switch is in the " Off " position, power for the turn signals comes thru this contact, to power the turn signal function.

Find your " Signal " fuse, make sure its makeing good contact in the fuse holder. This is a fairly common problem on Ventures. ( bad contact at the fuse holder, that is )

I just repaired this exact same trouble on my 83.

The Flasher and another relay that has something to do with the flashers is located under the left side signal light and vent air tube. The relay was rusty on the inside and after replacing it with another one that i had, All my flashers worked right again.

Hope this helps.......:322:

Well, both front turn signal bulbs and sockets checked out okay. On to check out the flasher I guess. Dang, as I recall it's inside the fairing. I hate cracking that thing open; it's a real pain having to take my driving lights off to get the front half of the fairing off. Oh well, such is the pleasures of owning a 2nd-Gen. By the way, both back turn signals work just fine.....nice and bright. Just can't seem to get the front ones to blink more than just faintly, and the hazards don't work at all. I do hear a small clicking behind the fairing when I flip the hazard switch though.....so I know it's getting juice somewhere.

Bill, yes Claire is coming with me. We can't leave until about 5:00pm on Friday evening due to Claire starting a new job and can't get any time off yet. We're super-slabbing it down I-35 to San Antonio and take the loop over to pick up highway 10 back up to Kerrville. It's a little longer route but less time I think, and safer with all the deer in and around the Hill Country after dark. Are you going down this year. I hope so.....and look forward to seeing you again.

Later,

Bobby Lane "birddog"