IGNORED

Question regarding lowering of RSTD

wrongway2

I've read all the posts I could find and never did find a clear answer so here goes.

I have a 2005 RSTD and for height reasons I'm getting a barons rear lowering kit put on in the next week or 2. I've read about the adverse effects but am going ahead with it.

The bike already stands fairly straight up on the kickstand with the stock suspension and zero air in the rear shock.

My concern is that by lowering the back, the bike will stand even more straight up on the kickstand. When I expressed my concern to the dealer he showed me the barons kit and said that a particular piece in the kit would compensate for this.

I emailed barons and unfortunately the person either wasn't up on this subject or was just trying to get rid of me because he gave me a part number for a road star kickstand.

So has anybody lowered their RSTD with a barons kit without altering the kickstand???

I know that I can buy a kickstand from an earlier royal star and it's 11 1/4" long which is about 2" shorter than mine but I'm not sure if it's needed.

thanks for all your help

Greg

Greg,

I put a barons rear lowering kit on my 05 RSTD, and did not have to change the side stand. If the barons front lowering kit was installed also, then you would have to have a shorter side stand.

There is nothing in the kit except the lowering links, and brackets to change the rear brake mounting.

Steve

I lowered my 2005 Venture over the winter and have been looking for a kick stand foot. I just puchased a Kaw. Versys and found a site the has a kit for after you lower the Versys ( which I am doing right now, today). The web site is www.motowerk.com Go to kaw. Versys and you will see the kit listed. I have the kit and and extra foot to see if it well fit the Venture. I will let the Venture site know if it works for all of use that have lowered our bikes and are not happy with the kick stand.

Cb

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so the bike is now lowered and I haven't noticed any negative impact as far as the handling is concerned.

I'm running with no air in the rear shock and the stock kickstand is working ok as long as I'm consious of the way the ground slants.

I'll still watch for a shorter kickstand from an early royal star so that I don't have to be careful about where I park.

Anyway, I love the lowered look and the fact that I can flat foot the bike.

My RSTD is has the Barons kit on the rear, and lowered 1/2" in the front.

(Unless you buy a kit, you can only get about 1/2" on the front because of the air valves.)

I didn't like it that low in the rear (partly because of the kick stand,,, partly because),

so, I took both length dog bones to a fab shop and for $20 the guy made me a pair exactly 1/2 way between. So, I'm pretty close to level, but with the smaller front tire, totals about 3/4" lower.

But, yeah, I do have to be cognizant of the slope when I park.

Edit: PS,,, seems like someone smarter than me said he would keep at least 10-15Lbs in the rear shock just to keep the seals up.

Edited by Mike G in SC

• 1 month later...

I've now had the shorter kickstand on the bike for a couple of weeks and it's perfect. No more watching where I park.

I ordered the kickstand for a 96 or 97 (same stand) Royal Star. The mounting holes are smaller on the earlier model stand so I just had the dealer drill it out. Still lots of metal around the holes.

the previous owner was as tall as i am. I claim the bit extra and say i am 5'6".

when i sat on the bike when looking at it to buy, i sat flat footed. I thought that was odd. he is a metal fabricator and had made his own lowering links and gave me the originals in a bag with some other stuff.

at maint day @ KBay's, someone noticed the front had been lowered also. I have the stock kick stand and i don't have a problem parking with the exception of the normal "watch where i park a motorcycle" cautions. i can say what i watch for is curb heights. i will scrape the bottoom of my pipes if i am not careful. my scooter may lean a bit more to the left while on the kick stand, but it is closer to the ground in case it falls over that-a-way.

i have learned from watching RLAP 5, that i have lowered my lean angle. but from what i have noted while riding, i lean way over when i have had to and am of the belief i really should not need to lean more than i have. i have scraped my floorboards, so that is my max lean indicator.

I like my lowered bike very much.

I also run 4 pound of air in the front forks and 20 pounds of air in the rear shock.

If i were a 100% solo ride, i would have 2 pounds in the forks and 5 pounds in the rear shock.

Deb rides with me and the extra air makes the ride comfortable for her.