IGNORED

Tire Pressure and tracking?

Oldslow

I took out my new tires for a spin.

Big difference from the stock Bridgestones.

Seemed like the bike was much easier to keep a straight line before.

Now I find my self struggling to stay in the lane?

Is that a pressure thing or just cause they new?

I'm running 38 front and 42 rear.

Pressure sounds like it's within tolerances. wonder what kind of tire you put on, and did you go with the smaller front tire?

The first plce I would look would be the mounting of the rear tire. make sure it's tight and true. When you go to install there is a procedure to follow. Loosen off the swing arm from the pumpkin, then install tire and axle,and rotate the and then rotate the axle so that it feels an at 'home place'. It may feell a little tighter in some places during the rotation than at others, so you need to feel for the best place to have it. Now tighten the axle and then tighten the swing arm back on the pumkin.

Maybe this will help.

Carl

Guest seuadr

when you say it's harder to stay in the lane... do you mean you turn farther now? what you may be experencing is called "handling" i went through the same thing with a bike of mine when i went to a more handling tire. bike turned far easier than i was used to, and i found that when i went into turns i was trying to force it into a turn, and ended up turning much farther than expected.

also, brand new tires will be slippery for a few hundred miles.

My younger son had one installed on his Seca, and zipped out the dealership, and immediately went down on the angle. The dealer after that had a warning slip for everyone to sign recognizing the protective coating they put on all new tires.

Now I have mine hand sanded before I ride. Just my two cents worth here.

JackZ

PS dealer paid all repair costs; Longmont Yamaha now on I-25, east of Longmont, Co. Good dealership still as far as I know.

Jz

when you say it's harder to stay in the lane... do you mean you turn farther now? what you may be experencing is called "handling" i went through the same thing with a bike of mine when i went to a more handling tire. bike turned far easier than i was used to, and i found that when i went into turns i was trying to force it into a turn, and ended up turning much farther than expected.

also, brand new tires will be slippery for a few hundred miles.

It does indeed turn easier and quicker but I knew that and expected it.

That's not it. I mean it seems harder to keep a straight line. If I want to stay in the left of the lane and not be moving toward the shoulder or the middle, it's tougher now!

Stock size Metzlers front and back!

I am running the stock Dunlop rear tire. I replaced the stock front tire with a Bridgestone Spitfire 130/90 (stock is 150). I noticed the bike wanted to wander while going in a straight line. It was as if I had a flat rear tire. I was running 38lbs front and 46lbs rear. I dropped the rear to 42lbs and like magic, it tracks straight now.

Try making small adjustments to the tire pressure. A couple lbs here and there can make all the difference.

I don't even know what the neck bearings are!

Where's the FAQ?

The steering head bearings. They do need checking and snugging up from time to time. There should be info in the tech section.

However, way too tight will not allow the bike to center itself, the bars tend to stick where they are and cause a drift and a need to force all movements.

If you didn't touch them, then they probably didn't tighten themselves.

Back to the other folks suggestions, Scooter Bob