IGNORED

Hub pin lube

frankc

Hello everyone,

Well it's getting to be that time of year when we all think about getting the bikes ready. I'm changing tires for the first time on the Venture and wanted to lube the hub splines when i have the rear wheel off.

I can remember something about using a Honda lube of somekind. Would someone please refresh me as to what I should use. I understand its suppost to be the best.

Thanks and have a safe summer

Frank

Yep, Honda Moly 60. You can get it at any Honda or Acura parts dept. Usually cheaper then a Honda bike dealer.

If you do get some, wear some disposable rubber/nitrile gloves, kind of like the ones the Dr uses with a weird grin on his face when your getting an exam. That grease will be really hard to get off skin. :smile5:

Yep, Honda Moly 60. You can get it at any Honda or Acura parts dept. Usually cheaper then a Honda bike dealer.

If you do get some, wear some disposable rubber/nitrile gloves, kind of like the ones the Dr uses with a weird grin on his face when your getting an exam. That grease will be really hard to get off skin. :smile5:

Ruffy- Have you been impersonating a doctor again??? :rotf::rotf:

Dave

BTW the pins are on the "clutch Hub" that connect the final drive to the rear wheel.

Yes you should use Honda Moly60 SPARINGLEY on the pins of the clutch hub and all the splines on your bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Ruffy said, get it at a Honda or Acura Automobile dealership and save some money.

My local Honda motorcycle dealership did not have it on the shelf and I asked if the service department used it the parts department manager said no, so that dealership will NEVER work on my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Moly60 seems to be the holy grail here. But....

I have trouble seeing why something like Moly60 is any better than regular lithium axle grease in this application or for fitting splines together.

Where something like metal-to-metal heavy pressure wear takes place, like 2 gears constanting turning against each other, then yes, moly is one of the best. But for splines with low pressure and little actual friction, I don't get it... Theoretically speaking, of course. :think:

I have never personally used the Moly 60 from Honda, although I have heard good thing of it. I have used a Valvoline synthetic blend wheel bearing grease with moly in it and have had zero issues with any of the bikes I have used it on. It's readily available at just about every part house and wont break the bank

:2cents: