IGNORED

Passing Lamp Fuse

I believe the little round fuse that is installed in the fairing if the passing lamps are installed per Yamaha's instructions (no relay) is 7.5A. If you're using a relay and/or have a blade-type inline fuse, I'd recommend 10A.

No relay, installed per Yamaha. Thanks, it doesn't say what it is in the instructions.

IMHO if you already have the fairing split, install a relay circuit for the passing lights!

This gets that load off of the ignition switch.

I am getting ready to put some driving lites on mine since its all apart but I am mounting them on the crash bars, does anyone know what size the bars are and what and were do I get the relay for these? Also does everyone wire theres with a switch or have them were they come on when you start the bike? thanks

Also does everyone wire theres with a switch or have them were they come on when you start the bike? thanks

I wired mine to come on when the ignition switch is turned on. But on second thought, next time I split the fairing, I think I'm going to add a switch so I can turn them off if I want.

I am getting ready to put some driving lites on mine since its all apart but I am mounting them on the crash bars, does anyone know what size the bars are and what and were do I get the relay for these? Also does everyone wire theres with a switch or have them were they come on when you start the bike? thanks

I think the crash bars are 1", since that's the size of the clamps used to reinforce them. The Yamaha passing lamps come with a push button switch that gets installed next to the cigarette ligher adapter. That switch can be used to turn on and off the relay. If you're buying some other type of lights, you'll probably want to buy a small waterproof switch, also. A couple of people have posted some really fancy handlebar-mounted switch setups for lights and heated gear and other accessories. Nice, but a bit pricey.

The (30A) relays are available at most auto part stores for about $7.

:)

If your talking about the actual passing lights, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 15 amp fuse and no more than a 20. It really depends on the wire size that was used to feed the lights, the majority I have seen are a 14 gauge wire and that dicatates the fuse size.

... The Yamaha passing lamps come with a push button switch that gets installed next to the cigarette ligher adapter. That switch can be used to turn on and off the relay. ...

My Yamaha Passing Lamps came with a toggle switch on the lamp housing. I leave it on all the time.

Dave

You are correct that the fuse should be sized by the smallest wires in the circuit.

However, the wires that come with the Gen2 Yamaha passing lights are tiny. They appear to be 18 gauge. With the 35W passing light bulbs pulling about 3A each, that would be appropriate. The kit includes a 7.5A fuse, which is enough for both lamps, and also appropriate for a problem without risking wire damage. If there's a problem on one side, the fuse blows at 4.5A, since the other side is already drawing 3A.

So, a 10A blade type fuse is actually on the high side. Anything larger risks melting wires.