IGNORED

1st gen sidestand switch removal

how do you get the sidestand switch top bolt out.

got the bottom bolt out and have a new switch to go in, but having trouble with the top bolt removal. i can not even see it.

I think you have to remove middle drive cover.

It's the one with the gear shift pattern on it.

I could be wrong here though.

Bike is in no condition to verify that.

Best picture I have of it is from my parts bike below

Gary

you can get the top screw out without removing that cover ,took mine out two day ago ,you use a screwdriver by putting it through the hole in the left rear cover into the screw use a drop light and you will see the screw head it worked for me should work for you.

:sign20: I think Squeeze meant to Say What???? :group cheers:

Nope

I meant "When does he expect he'll get reminded for putting up the Sidestand in the next left Hand Corner"

Seriously, from all that Safety Chrome and Stuff what's on our Bikes, the Side Stand Switch is the one i'd never hot wire ... This is dangerous and will lead to fatal grinding Action sooener or later. It's not like "if you gonna forget to put the Stand up", it's "when will it happen and how much Damage will be be on the Bike and the Passenger. The Rider, most likely the Cause for this, doesn't deserve any mentioning in this Case.

You can do it in Case of an Emergency for limited Time, even prepare the Bike for a quick Resolve, but why not maintain the Switch like it should be or buy a new Switch after 20 Years of outstanding Service and be safe, reliable and have the Peace of Mind ?

Rode for a lot of years and when mine went out last year and I jumpered it I couldn't remember to put sidestand up at all. Ask those at Ashville. I had gotten too used to the switch reminding me. With the boards on it you don't see the sidestand sticking out there. Mine is almost hidden. I'll keep the switch!!

Leave the switch. had a sidestand take me down on a CB400-4 when I was 15. Well, I had some to do with it. Showing off I locked the back tire and slid it sideways forgetting the stand was down, it flipped over, the bike landed on my foot and broke my foot in three places. The chinese toe torture on the three broken toes, holding my foot in the air to stretch the muscles so they can set the bones i will never forget.

you can get the top screw out without removing that cover ' date='took mine out two day ago ,you use a screwdriver by putting it through the hole in the left rear cover into the screw use a drop light and you will see the screw head it worked for me should work for you.[/quote']

i could not get the screwdriver in the hole you mentioned until i took the 2 - 12mm bolts out of the left footpeg/shifter bracket and moved the assembly out of the way.

then i inserted a phillips screwdriver into the hole and removed the top screw. installed the new switch and plugged it in.

all is good now and bike starts with sidestand down.

i am a believer of having this switch working too, i drove away on a couple of bikes i have owned with the sidestand down, i love this Yamaha feature.

cheers, Scott

Scott, for the most part Gary (Dingy) is right about having to take the center cover off, but I did manage to do it on Goldie without removing it but I can't remember how I did it...

Bob, On the later model middle gear side covers there's an access hole in the cover. On the '83's it's not there. I'm not sure when the hole appeared, and I've wondered what it was for??? Now I know... :) Pro'bly added after a few mechanics started to biatch about having to pull the cover to change the side stand switch??

i could not get the screwdriver in the hole you mentioned until i took the 2 - 12mm bolts out of the left footpeg/shifter bracket and moved the assembly out of the way.

then i inserted a phillips screwdriver into the hole and removed the top screw. installed the new switch and plugged it in.

I remember doing that a few years back. Same Problem.

Brad

Bob, On the later model middle gear side covers there's an access hole in the cover. On the '83's it's not there. I'm not sure when the hole appeared, and I've wondered what it was for??? Now I know... :) Pro'bly added after a few mechanics started to biatch about having to pull the cover to change the side stand switch??

Yes, it makes sense, seeing that Goldie was born on November 83...