IGNORED

New Oils Seals for Valves?

I have finally got my 1987 replacement engine taken apart to install the Vmax cams. I decided to pull the heads and do a valve job.

The seller said it had about 40k miles on it and it looks very good inside. The manual says to install new valve oil seals when reinstalling the valves. These little guys are almost $12 each and there are 16 of them!

Anybody have experience or opinion about reusing these oil seals?

What's means a "Valve Job" specific ??

If you're gonna grind the Valve Seats, replace the Oil Seals, because most likely the Seal won't hold up long to the Grinding Movement.

If you only take the Valves out, clean them, clean and inspect the Seats, you can use the old Seals, but make sure you have slight Coat of Moly Grease on them before you push the Valves back in.

What's means a "Valve Job" specific ??

If you're gonna grind the Valve Seats, replace the Oil Seals, because most likely the Seal won't hold up long to the Grinding Movement.

If you only take the Valves out, clean them, clean and inspect the Seats, you can use the old Seals, but make sure you have slight Coat of Moly Grease on them before you push the Valves back in.

Yes, I removed the valves to clean them up. I have already cleaned each valve on my wire wheel. Next I will "lap" the valve faces and reinstall.

If you're talking about the oil seal that is around the valve cover bolts, I replaced mine when I changed my valve cover gasket.

I've found them for less than $3 at bikebandit.com and a little cheaper at cheapcycleparts.com . Even though bikebandit is a little more expensive, I'd go back to them again any day! Cheapcycle parts had poor customer service and slow shipping.

Even though I changed mine out, I found that when I opened the covers, the seals on bolts were still in good shape (bike had 35K miles on it).

You do know that any seating differences will require different bucket shims don't you? You will be too tight.

RandyA

Yes, I will be checking valve clearances and adjusting as needed.

I checked three shims so far and they were all "280"

1983 - 1993 Venture

valve stem oil seal, part number 26H-12119-00-00 best price = $10.00 best price found is from Skydoc_17 (thanks!)

Intake Valve part # 26H-12111-00-00

Exhaust Valve part # 26H-12121-00-00

Gen II Star Venture

Valve stem Oil Seal part # 4KM-12119-00-00 best price = $4.63

Looked at one of these this afternoon and it looks very much like mine, but, without the spring-clip around the base.

Intake Valve part # 26H-12111-00-00

Exhaust Valve part # 26H-12121-00-00

FJ1100, FJ1200, Vmax 1200, and others

valve stem oil seal, part number 51Y-12119-00-00 best price = $5.54

Squeeze,

Are you using the Vmax part in the Venture?

VR valve stems are 5.9mm

Vmax valve stems are 5.5mm

Can the Vmax seal be used in the VR?

I have been told that the smaller dimension will "cup" and cause oil leakage into the combustion chamber.

Can the Star seal be used in the VR?

They use the same valves!

Edited by GaryZ

Nope, you can't use VR Seals on the Vmax or vice versa. 1Gen has 6mm Valve Stems, Vmax is 5.5 mm, they just won't fit. I'm not sure about using Seals from different Model - never felt the urge to try.

As i said, i use Aftermarket Seals from a Wholeseller. They are made by Athena(Italy). (Sorry, no english Language there, but you could use Google Translation)

http://www.motomike.eu/mike/category/10408000000/vehicle/21449/article/93173

Or .. in a whole Gasket/Seal Kit at around 200 USD ...

http://www.motomike.eu/mike/category/10407000000/vehicle/21449/article/93158

You could look around where "Parts Unlimited" has US Dealers. They most likely will have them, at least in the Catalog.

I also could order them for you, they'll fit in a padded Envelope which allows pretty quick and rather cheap shipping at 8 USD and mostly, no Hassle with Customs. The Seal Kit might cost a bit more ??

I'd probably have other Options too, but these will cost much more Time.

I have a Parts Unlimited catalog, and it shows seals for the VMax, but not the Ventures.

I found the same thing. No seals or gasket sets for the 1st Gen Venture sold through aftermarket sources. I am buying the seals from skydoc_17.

Thanks to everyone for all the input . . . and I appreciate the offer from Squeeze!

Yes, I will be checking valve clearances and adjusting as needed.

I checked three shims so far and they were all "280"

I think when I did mine I only had about 3 different size shims in the engine from new. I was quite impressed how accurate the casting was machined to be so close.

Brad