Having the rear tire replaced tomarrow morning with Metzler ME880 180- 70- 15. As you know, stock is a 150 -90- 15. Anyone here know if there will be a problem with tire clearance? I have read on this site that a certain size can be a problem, but I forgot with one.

When you put a 180 tire on the back you will see that it possible rubs against the driveshaft housing. I believe olng timers here recommend against this change. Many wail against the Metzlers and I had them on mine and switched to the Dunlops and like them better. Not sure why you would want a larger tire on the rear but thats my opinion. I sure wouldn't do this as a load on the back such as a passenger may cause too much rubbing against the driveshaft housing and cause an issue with the tirewall and cause the tire to heat up on long trips.

My :2cents:

A member here (Pecker) has installed a 170/80-15 and clearance is quite close. He recommends to remove appx 1/4 inch from the fender brace and if I recall correctly, there's about 1/4 inch clearance between the tire and the driveshaft tube.

I will be exploring this option when I replace the rear tire. I'll be going with a Bridgestone Spitfire S11

http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgestone-spitfire-s11-motorcycle-tire

I will be exploring this option when I replace the rear tire. I'll be going with a Bridgestone Spitfire S11

http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgestone-spitfire-s11-motorcycle-tire

My bike had OEM Brickstones when I bought it and I couldn't get them off of there soon enough. Not sure what model or if they're all the same or not but one bad experience was enough for me. You couldn't pay me enough to run them on my bike.

And as far as the Metzler's go, there's been too many guys on here with issues for me to spend my money on them. Maybe they fixed the problem but they don't have a good rep. on the RSV.

As far as bigger rear tires, I know some have tried it and had rubbing issues.

Guest scarylarry

Let me defend Brickstone tires, I will be the first to say they make a awesome flower bed or boat anchor....

So they are not a bad tire they have many uses, just not on a bike is all..:Laugh:

My bike had OEM Brickstones when I bought it and I couldn't get them off of there soon enough. Not sure what model or if they're all the same or not but one bad experience was enough for me. You couldn't pay me enough to run them on my bike.

And as far as the Metzler's go, there's been too many guys on here with issues for me to spend my money on them. Maybe they fixed the problem but they don't have a good rep. on the RSV.

As far as bigger rear tires, I know some have tried it and had rubbing issues.

The Spitfire S11 is not the same as what is put on at factory which is an Excedra G702 (according to the owner's manual - I had the Dunlops on mine). From my research, the Spitfire appears to be a superior tire at a reasonable price.

The G702 is a basic bias ply OEM tire - probably the lowest rated one they could put on it.

The Spitfire is bias 4-ply SPORT Touring ... has a much better tread pattern IMHO.

I'm sure at least one member who uses this tire will vouch for it.

I've put a 130/90 Spitfire on the front and have appx 300 km on it so far. I guess we will see....

You're talking about a RSV?

I've got an RSV in my shop and by the feel of it (can't see in there) I think it's VERY likely a 180 would rub. I cannot get my pinky between the 150 and the shaft housing. That 180 will be 15mm (5/8") wider on each side.

You're talking about a RSV?

I've got an RSV in my shop and by the feel of it (can't see in there) I think it's VERY likely a 180 would rub. I cannot get my pinky between the 150 and the shaft housing. That 180 will be 15mm (5/8") wider on each side.

According to specs, the Spitfire 170/90 is .7 inch wider than a stock Dunlop 150. Apparently there's appx 1/4 inch clearance at the driveshaft tube. Not a lot but enuf.

A 180/70 would certainly be wider than a 170/90

Guest scarylarry

Price I got on E3"s

DUNLOP ELITE 3 150/80HB-16 FRONT

$109.43

DUNLOP ELITE 3 MV85HB-15 REAR

$134.27

I'm not sure if this is a good price or not.

Had ME880's on my Roadstar. got very good mileage on them, but they due tend to get noisey as they wear down. Also found that it is IMPORTENT to check the manufacturing date on the tire. Had one dealer try to sell me new tires that were already two years old and had started to crack in the treads already. Just reading here has helped me in looking for tires for my RSV. Have Bridgestones on now and can't wait to get them off. Any input is welcome, already learned to stay away from Me's on the RSV from a couple of previous posts.

I have been running a 170/80 Spitfire rear for over 2 years now and absolutely love it. Yes a 170/80 will fit. The only reason I went with this size vs the stock size is because the Spitfire isn't manufactured in the stock size. The Bridgestone Spitfire is a dual compound 4 ply sport/touring tire, it handles well and lasts a LONGGGGG time, and the price is very good.

I did clearance my fender braces on each side, the tire was just a little too close for comfort, but the drive shaft tube has about 1/4" clearance with no modification.

I am not posting this info to say anybody needs to use this tire brand or size, I am just passing on info as to what I am using and why. I have attached some pics to help ease the mind.

Dave