I am finally ready to assemble battery cables for 1st Gens. Getting my shop useable has been a pain in the rear. I plan on making enough for all who need them plus 3-4 extra sets. The price of copper has skyrocketed. I now pay 0.25 per foot more than last year. By purchasing the supplies carefully, I can keep the prices the same as last year. So, please reply to this thread and let me know how many sets to make. The cable is available locally so it won't take long to finish a batch.

Cable from battery to solenoid is 8". Cable from solenoid to starter is 34". Cable from battery to ground is 34". The aux. leads are 8" and made from 10 gauge. I made all of the cables 2" longer than stock to allow for the increased bend radius. I have also added a ground and a positive 12 gauge accessory lead for any extra items. All 4 gauge terminals are soldered using 50/50 rosin core. The crimped ends also have solder. All terminals have adhesive wall shrink tubing applied to seal the wires. I am finishing them off by sealing any open ends with Liquid Electrical Tape. The positive aux. lead has a ring terminal to attach to the screw inside the stock fuse holder. Just remove the 3/8" blade terminal and use the screw for the ring terminal. The aux. ground lead attaches with a posilock.

Price is $40.00 shipped via Priority flat rate to the US and $46.00 to Canada.

If you want a posilock fuse holder for the 12 gauge lead, add $4.00.

NO MONEY YET!! NEED A HEAD COUNT!!

J.B.

The Posi-Lock fuse holder is an ATC type holder that fits the 12 gauge accessory wire. To replace the main 40 amp fuse requires a bit more work than just using an ATC fuse. I replaced mine with a MAXI-Fuse. These are a common fuse of the same design as the ATC fuse. The "legs" are about 3/8" wide. I used a holder with 8 gauge leads and soldered it in place of the original fuse holder. There is a version of a MAXI-fuse holder with screw used in marine applications. I considered it but decided it was physically too big. If there is enough interest, I will see what I can do for a main fuse kit.

JB

Ok folks-

I count 15 set here. I stopped by the weld shop and ordered cable. I will pick that up Tuesday after work. Should ship cables the 13th to the 16th. As they are finished I will post Paypal info and snail mail info. I will make a few extra for spring and summer. I will PM each member on this posting for shipping info about the middle of the week. I even have fancy Post Office labels this time.

JB

LoneStar, is it too late to order a set for me? My 88 is in the shop with bad Ignition computer. Looks like it'll be there for a while, at least until I can get my aftermarket one in from the Cezech Repub.

Anyway, they have battery and battery box all taken out currently and I'm thinking it's a PERFECT time to swap out cables!!

Please let me know!

• 3 weeks later...