I would think 2nd gear would be gone by now if it hasnt been fixed.

It doenst hurt the bike, and a lot of ppl ride without 2nd gear but it is something to check on. Check acceleration under wide open throttle if it pops out youre living on borrowed time.

and the frame on 83's cracked down where the center stand is attached

Brian

When looking at a bike with that kind of milage, I would take a close look at the brakes. These bikes have a "Linked" brake system. the right hand brake lever ONLY activates the right caliper. The foot pedal on the right side of this scoot activates the left front caliper and the rear caliper. Try a brisk stop from about 35MPH with the rear foot brake only, if the bike won't stop, you could be looking at 2 caliper rebuilds and a rear master cylinder rebuild.

If the right front hand brake won't stop your scoot at 35MPH then you are looking at a front right caliper rebuild and possibly a front master cylinder rebuild. These are not reasons to not buy the bike, but they are very good reasons to ask less for it. A few items I like to look for are dry rot (cracks) on the sidewalls of the tires, electronic items (radio, CB Air Ride Controller) that don't function. Also, while in 5th gear, roll on the throttle hard and see if the clutch slips. If you have any other questions about this VR, please feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Check the fork seals. If they leak then check the rotors. They will have gotten slick and then ruined the pads. Put it up on the center stand and see if the rear wheel is locked. If it is, it is probably the rear brake. Needs bleeding at a minimum. The luggage may look good but open the trunk box and pull out the pad in the bottom. There will probably be some repairs needed due to cracking or even holes. Normal for these but still something to address. Mufflers? Are they rotted through? Are they even the originals? Start it and see what kind of warning lights come on. The clutch is hydraulic. Should pull easy. Take side panels off and see how many tabs are broken. Fixable but something else that may need to be addressed. These are all little things. It comes with age. Like arthritis and wrinkles. However, 2nd gear could already be gone or going. Also, check for frame cracking around the center stand. Has it ever been dropped? Beware of busted plastic on fairing. Mine has never been dropped (no on anything hard enough to bend or scratch things) but it still needs attention due to the age. Take it for a spin. Go over some bumps and see if it bottoms out on the front. The only other thing you may want to look for is a 2010 model. (Just kidding) They are great in my opinion.:7_6_3[1]:

there's a 1983 venture with 71,000 miles.what should i look for if considering a purchase?

thanks

Take it for a ride and get it into 2nd gear at about 10-15mph, and then open her up. If the thing starts to clatter or jump out of gear walk away.