IGNORED

NHTSA Requests Feedback on Amber Turn Signals

Owen

FWIW....

I dont know that I believe all that they are saying there. A rearend collision is due to the 2nd vehicle not paying attention or being in a hurry. I can't believe that an amber turn signal will make that driver anymore attentive to whats going on.

Myself I do like the red stop/turn/run light in the signals, it's more light and for me thats a good thing. It's just like a modulating headlight, some folks like them, some folks dont :confused24:

I drive a 2004 e 250 work van daily. All it has is red lights on the back of it, and somehow peaple still seem to be able to see the light when I am turning.

Now that being said, my first gen has dual amber flashers on the back of the bike. Just dont see where they get of saying that you will be seen better either way.

David

33 percent of ALL males in the United States are Color Blind! (Of which both my brothers and I are) It is a genetic disorder passed from our mothers to the male offspring. (Daughters carry the gene and pass it on to their sons) Genetic Color Blindness is in the Red and Green color spectrum. What this means for 3 1/3 out of EVERY 10 male drivers is "If it ain't YELLOW or BLUE, WE DON'T SEE IT!" PERIOD! It has nothing to do with not paying attention, it has to do with a Color Blind person NOT being able to detect a red or green light. There are only 10 animals on the planet that have the ability to enjoy the entire color spectrum (most everyday animals like dogs, for example are red/green color blind as are many wild animals) This is why you can wear an ORANGE vest in the woods and not be seen by a deer. This is also why most states have gone to blue lighting on the tops of their emergency vehicles. A blinking white light has more meaning to me than ANY red or green light. Until you have "walked a mile in the shoes" of a Color Blind person, you have NO IDEA what it is like to see a Rainbow and only see the yellow and blue strip and not feel cheated. Or be drug from your vehicle by a LEO and beaten with a nightstick because you didn't see the red flashing lights behind you. Or you can't fly a commercial or military airplane, or be a doctor, or an electrician, or be a Machinist in the military for that matter. I run a "blue dot" tail light on my 87'VR (which is illegal in Pa.) and have gone to court twice for it, and have won both times! Once you explain this handicap to the average person that enjoys the entire color spectrum, they understand. Most people don't understand how big a problem this is, and some people are color blind and don't even know it, "you don't miss what you never had" as my dad would often say. I LOVE yellow turn signals on vehicles, they have saved my life more that once! The next time you are turning or coming to a stop, ask yourself, is the guy behind me one of the 3 out of 10!!!:confused24:

My name is Earl Harrell and I live with the challenge of Color Blindness, every day!

Thats an interesting perspective Earl, and to be quite honest, one I never knew anything about

:think: I could see where this could be trouble for folks with this disorder. I guess what comes to my mind 1st is, and mind you I'm not attempting to be a smartass, how do you get a divers license if you can't differentiate the color red? Also too, if 3 in 10 males suffer from this, why isn't there more of a push for cars and trucks to have amber signals. Not preaching, just kinda talking out loud.

Edited by Squidley

Guest Ken8143

Drivers license - I guess that is why certain signs are always the same shape. no other sign has the shape of a stop sign, for example.

Most of us that have r/g blindness or r/g deficiency (which is what I have) go by what we see, and yellow and blue does work a lot better for me than green. some green lights just look like a flashlight - I go by position of the light and that it is a traffic light.

For me I pick up the yellow turn signals much better.

My experience is not as severe as Earl, but I can see is point. But if you talk to my wife, my ability to match clothes is just horrible. At work I get pitiful glances from the women.

Thats an interesting perspective Earl, and to be quite honest, one I never knew anything about

:think: I could see where this could be trouble for folks with this disorder. I guess what comes to my mind 1st is, and mind you I'm not attempting to be a smartass, how do you get a divers license if you can't differentiate the color red? Also too, if 3 in 10 males suffer from this, why isn't there more of a push for cars and trucks to have amber signals. Not preaching, just kinda talking out loud.

Hey,be sensitive..you know Im a sensitive guy! Im color blind..The green light is WHITE,the Yellow light is very bright and the red light is very dull looking! I do have fun at physical time..I cant follow the "dots"on the colorblind chart but I can use process of elimination on the what color is what as far as SOLID colors! Remember..SENSITIVE...I may have to sing about it again. BTW. 35 years driving and never a ticket so basically we adapt and see the lights and can tell them apart...just dont see them the same color as you guys that are not normal.

Hey,be sensitive..you know Im a sensitive guy! Im color blind..The green light is WHITE,the Yellow light is very bright and the red light is very dull looking! I do have fun at physical time..I cant follow the "dots"on the colorblind chart but I can use process of elimination on the what color is what as far as SOLID colors! Remember..SENSITIVE...I may have to sing about it again. BTW. 35 years driving and never a ticket so basically we adapt and see the lights and can tell them apart...just dont see them the same color as you guys that are not normal.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not harping on any of you, I knew about color blindness, but seeing I dont have it, I dont really think about it. I can see how color blind folks would have a hard time with differentiating with this problem. Obviously you know the position of the lights on a stop light, and that works well for you. I have seen some new LED lights that have the amber for turning and the red for running and stopping. I like the idea of having as much light on the back of the bike as I can get. This may be a good option for those that want the best of both worlds and to make it easier for the others that are colorblind to see

:2cents:

I have notice normal weather conditions

Red or Amber --- its is a blinking light on the rear of a vehicle you should notice it..

Amber is much more visible than Red for a greater distance in rain

I first became aware of the difference

In Illinois last year 4 of us in some real heavy rain

I was in position 4 the cycle in position 2 had amber flashers very visible

The cycle in position 3 one red tail light

If I did not know he was there I would not even see him

I noticed the to be true for turn signals as well

I think Amber for the win.....

I personally have and like the run/brake/turn indicator with red lights. Yes amber is more visible when the amber light is flashing. However by running the run/brake/turn indicator I now have 3 red tail lights instead of one providing me with 66% more visible light not to mention it looks better. I understand color blind people have problems with red and green and my concern with this disorder goes beyond seeing a red turn signal but seeing a traffic light or seeing the vehicle in front of you stopping with red brake lights. Yes I want everyone to see my turn signal but more importantly I want everyone to see my red brake lights.

Drivers license - I guess that is why certain signs are always the same shape. no other sign has the shape of a stop sign, for example.

That's also the reason that traffic signals are arranged the way they are. Red is always the top one and so on. If horizontal then the red is always all the way to the left. I have read where some contries are beginning to use different shapes for the lights to assist those who are color blind.

My dad was color blind, luckily I am not, nor any of my children/grandchildren.

Dad mentioned it a couple times but never complained. He implied that he couldn't see the colors light but just knew what positions they were in, and that he could see when it they were on.

Earl, I assume that you can still see when a red light comes on, is on or flashes, just not see the color?

My dad was in training to be a bomber Bombardier when the war ended. He said they liked color blind people as spotters/Bombardiers because they could see through camo better? Could that be possible? Don't know why he would say that if someone had not told him.

As for me, I am OK with Yellow turn signals, and OK with all red. I do wish they would just make it uniform though, and if so, I would be just fine if they mandated yellow turns. Oh and I am OK with Blue Dots. I think they are illegal in IL, but Thanks Earl for a perspective on that accessory that I never thought of!

My dad was color blind, luckily I am not, nor any of my children/grandchildren.

Dad mentioned it a couple times but never complained. He implied that he couldn't see the colors light but just knew what positions they were in, and that he could see when it they were on.

Earl, I assume that you can still see when a red light comes on, is on or flashes, just not see the color?

My dad was in training to be a bomber Bombardier when the war ended. He said they liked color blind people as spotters/Bombardiers because they could see through camo better? Could that be possible? Don't know why he would say that if someone had not told him.

As for me, I am OK with Yellow turn signals, and OK with all red. I do wish they would just make it uniform though, and if so, I would be just fine if they mandated yellow turns. Oh and I am OK with Blue Dots. I think they are illegal in IL, but Thanks Earl for a perspective on that accessory that I never thought of!

As someone who is color challenged..and I really am not sensitive at all about it, I think I can answer the question on liking the color blind guys as spotters...We adapt to certain things IE: Deer hunting,My dad asks constantly why I can spot deer so easily when we go hunting..My opinion is he looks for the deer,color or shape,I look for ANY movement then focus in where I saw the movement.I can see movement that most people cannot see. As far as Traffic lights I dont have a clue what position they are in,Its simple to me..The green light is "white" the yellow is VERY bright and the Red is very dull in color. I didnt even know I was color blind until I was in high school.

A person that is NOT Color Blind is "tricked" by camouflage, his/her eyes can not separate the irregular green and brown, (or khaki and brown in the desert) patterns from the person wearing the clothing. With a Color Blind person, since we don't see the color green, we just see a guy standing in the woods, with clothing that has a bunch of "gray" patches on it.

I came from a three generation Marine family and during the Vietnam war, I tried to join the Marines 5 times. At this time, I was working for the Navy Dept. as a Civil Servant at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard as a Machinist. Even though I scored extremely high on all testing, and could have chosen any job I wanted, because of my Color Blindness, the only job I could qualify for was "Point Man" in the Infantry. The funniest thing was the Naval Shipyard was not allowed to discriminate against me because of my "Handicap". Needless to say, I passed on the point man assignment, stayed at the Naval Shipyard, was exempt from the draft, (because of my employment at the Naval Shipyard) gained a boatload of knowledge. (no pun intended) I have been working for Lockheed/Martin as a C.N.C. Machinist on everything from the Space Shuttle to EVERY American made Fighter Aircraft for the last 20 years. NONE OF WHICH I could have done if I would have joined the Military. Go figure.:confused24:

Earl

Her is an opinion of an Englishman (for what its worth).

In the Uk we have had as long as I can remember amber turn signals front and rear. I can also remember some older cars with two arms set in the door pillars left and right which swang upwards when operated showing amber. Well sometimes or refused to go up or even fell out.

I grew up with amber you grew up with red, surely if you or I were to change to the other colour this would cause confusion, accidents and injury. Possibly only for a short time but at what price.

However that said it doesn't matter what colour they are most car drivers chose to ignore them anyway.

Best wishes. Great site. On it most days.

Neil Bridgewater. 2nd Gen. 1999 RSV TF. US spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I live in a heavy traffic area (north San Diego), I can tell you that in a "sea of red" (traffic tail lights) yellow stands out when it appears.

I even changed the rear turn signals to a two filament bulb on my 86 and run "running light" power back there as well as the standard turn signal. I figure if it causes them to "look"... I win. Ever notice that the front yellow turn signals use the same dual filament setup? Some states don't allow a constant yellow in the rear... check your state or take your chances!

Yeah, being color blind is fun. Is that wire red, green, black, brown or grey? And don't throw an orange golf ball down on green grass, because it will be there until Jesus comes back, because I can't find it.

I hate it when instrument indicators are red! I can't see that little thing at all. Give me amber, or blue, and I'm happy as a pig in mud. And those 3 color rainbows are boring.

I guess "normal" people who design those red lights don't think about what a conundrum they present to the rest of us folks.:yikes: