IGNORED

LED Turn Signal Options

I have spent the morning looking through threads on LED turn signal options for my 2000 RSV. I already have the plug and play LED tail/brake light from Custom Dynamics, so am looking to upgrade the turn signals from there as well.

I was trying to determine the standard bulb in the back and front turn signals now and couldn't get the bulb out. It's cold here and the rubber housing is like concrete. However, the signal casing indicates "USA #1156 #1157" on the front and back. Looking on the Custom Dynamics site, these appear to be two different bulbs requiring a different LED equivalent.

I think that I would like amber on the front as regular turn signals and red on the back that would also double as running lights.

Custom also has "New Moon Shinez" white driving lights/turn signals. Are these legal as turn signals if they are white (it says you need the smoked or clear lense cover)? Anyone have these?

Earlier discussions on blink rate have talked about using load equalizers front and back but as I understand it they do accumulate heat and do not reduce the current load. Would a "Metric Signal Stabilizer" be a better solution?

Suggestions as to what I should order would be appreciated. :puzzled:

Thanks.

Since you have the 'correct' plug-and-play for your bike, I will assume that that kit includes the load equalizer as well as one unit. If not, you can order one from Custom Dynamics. Select the product that says 'No Load'....can't remember the exact name of it right now. As for LEDs for your turn signals, you can order LED clusters that will fit the Venture...please do a search on LED turn signals and there are several threads that reference/mention specific part numbers for the clusters. Sorry, I just can't remember on top of my head.

Good Luck shopping.

I got the LED inserts. Eclipze for the front with a BAZE-T plug on a pigtail (three pin). They didn't have the Moon Shines when I got mine. I'm not positive what year they changed, but I know the '06 has three pin fronts.

You do not need load equalizers unless you want them. The signals will just flash a little fast. Nothing crazy. Like having a burned out bulb. A few people have told my I had a light out. Bottom line: People notice. That's what counts.

Once you have to add a load equalizer there is no advantage to LED's as far as current draw is concerned. The load equalizer draws the current to make the flasher work. But LED's are supposed to last forever and bulbs won't. If you want to transform your rear turn signals into tail,brake and signal lights here is a kit that worked for me. http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?action=detail&model_ID=42&Category_ID=5&manufacturer_ID=223&product_ID=6421&sblid_name=detail

It uses the original 1156 bulb but adds led brake and tail lights to the rear turn signal. Installation is a bit of a pain but 'Electrical Connection' has a Yamaha Royal Star install guide/pictures that help more than the generic guide that comes with the kit. If you e-mail them and request it.

I also added the 100 LED Custom Dynamics tail, brake light. http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

The mounting holes on the LED circuit board were a little small and caused the lens to not be fully seated on it's gasket. So I enlarged the holes on the LED board slightly. That allowed the board to go over the lens screw studs about an eighth inch. There is a rib there that reinforced the stud. The board will go on up to there and be almost flush with the studs. The lens now seats fully on the gasket and the LED board is still held in place.

These two sets together draw less current than the original 1157 tail brake light. The original 1156 turn signal bulb is still used so no load equalizer is needed.

Mike

I was trying to determine the standard bulb in the back and front turn signals now and couldn't get the bulb out. It's cold here and the rubber housing is like concrete. However, the signal casing indicates "USA #1156 #1157" on the front and back. Looking on the Custom Dynamics site, these appear to be two different bulbs requiring a different LED equivalent.

Custom also has "New Moon Shinez" white driving lights/turn signals. Are these legal as turn signals if they are white (it says you need the smoked or clear lense cover)? Anyone have these?

Thanks.

If I am not mistaken the FRONT are #1157 and the rear #1156..

if you're thinking of the New Moon Shinez, double check your provincial MVA to see if you can actually use them.. I had discussed this aspect with their tech people.. The Shinez are insanely bright white lights that stay on all the time but when you signal right or left, the lights blink off and on.. but they stay on all the time.. Nice..

Unfortunately, Nova Scotia's Motor Vehicle Act states that your signal lights need to be AMBER .. and only AMBER.. so these Moon Shinez aren't legal as replacement signal lights.. but you could use them as an auxiliary light..

If I am not mistaken the FRONT are #1157

I hope so, cuz I ordered my set a few days ago for my front.

And , I did not get the load equalizer, I guess I do not really need that?

if I do I still can add to the order. there was one part I ordered and that made

my whole shipment on back-order for some reason.

Jeff

If I am not mistaken the FRONT are #1157

I hope so, cuz I ordered my set a few days ago for my front.

And , I did not get the load equalizer, I guess I do not really need that?

if I do I still can add to the order. there was one part I ordered and that made

my whole shipment on back-order for some reason.

Jeff

Hmmm maybe I should wait before ordering lol..

i think you DO need the load equalizer otherwise your signal flash will be too rapid.. I dunno.. I'll be ordering mine none the less..

I had been rummaging down in the storage and found two sets of signal lights that came off my VStar (currently being modded) so I might still try to do the Moon lights if I can find a way to mount these.. be intresting concept eh?

... i think you DO need the load equalizer otherwise your signal flash will be too rapid.. ...
Define too rapid.

I have the LED retro replacements on my bike. I did not use load equalizers. My turn signals flash more rapidly than stock, but it's much like having a burned out bulb on a standard system. In fact I've had several people tell me I have a burned out bulb. I count those as people who 1. have seen me, and 2. will not be running me over. I like that. I will not be adding equalizers until a whole bunch of LEOs force me to.

Suggestion: try them without equalizers. If you don't like it, you can always add them later.

Define too rapid.

I have the LED retro replacements on my bike. I did not use load equalizers. My turn signals flash more rapidly than stock, but it's much like having a burned out bulb on a standard system. In fact I've had several people tell me I have a burned out bulb. I count those as people who 1. have seen me, and 2. will not be running me over. I like that. I will not be adding equalizers until a whole bunch of LEOs force me to.

Suggestion: try them without equalizers. If you don't like it, you can always add them later.

(A) too many people telling me the same thing over and over and over is more annoying that adding load equalizers..

(B) fast flashers around here will have the cops pulling me over to tell me one of my bulbs is out.. even though I have to show the cop all is good, he's still wasted his time from his important duties pulling me over when I could have done something simple to avoid all that..

But hey, that's just me ;)

I did call them today, and they say YES you need them only if you have one turn signal light on your dash OR they will go crazy. So we have a left and a right. otherwise the guys says I dont need them. only if the fast blinking bothers me I guess. SO I will dolike some of you say. get the lights and add later if I think I need to thanks! AND the stuff should be shipped today I HOPE! the problem they had was they were waiting for the rings that go around the LEDS so the would fit into our bikes.

Jeff

I did call them today, and they say YES you need them only if you have one turn signal light on your dash OR they will go crazy. So we have a left and a right. otherwise the guys says I dont need them. only if the fast blinking bothers me I guess. SO I will dolike some of you say. get the lights and add later if I think I need to thanks! AND the stuff should be shipped today I HOPE! the problem they had was they were waiting for the rings that go around the LEDS so the would fit into our bikes.

Jeff

Did they say how long it would take for the rings to come in?

In regards to the load equalizers (LE), because our bikes have 2 indicators, he suggests we don't need the LE but will they still flash faster than normal?

Good info, thanks!

YES he said they would, But since I have triked-- Hannigan put all the stuff on the rear and I am almost sure there getting there supply from C-D and I noticed that my rear LED's do blink faster then my stock fronts do now., so now maybe it will all balance out. Kinda funny, as soon as you posted I just got an email from them that my order just shipped. I did change it to USPS Priority do the the fact they work on Saturdays , so I should have my stuff Monday aft. :D

SO BOTTOM LINE FELLOWS the PARTS ARE IN! Order away!

Jeff

Did they say how long it would take for the rings to come in?

In regards to the load equalizers (LE), because our bikes have 2 indicators, he suggests we don't need the LE but will they still flash faster than normal?

Good info, thanks!

I've seen Bummer's and yes, they'll flash a lot faster and a LOT brighter. Very noticeable, I'll be adding these and the tail/brake light to mine soon.

I put my order in today and hopefully will be able to install the parts correctly!

The ones I got were giving me a bit of grief fitting in. I gave them about two swipes around the outside with a file and they fit perfectly. I haven't heard anyone else mentioning problems so they may have the size right by now.

Yep, the Custom Dynamics turn signal LEDs were a bit too big for my front signal housings.

I called tech support because I noticed that I ordered GEN200-A-1157E-T but the package stated they were GEN200-A-1157E. The Tech wasn't 100% sure, but he thought the "-T" indicated a smaller flange. I just dremmeled it down to size rather than send them back.

They are bright, but not as bright as I expected. Possibly because I ordered amber LEDs and I have the OEM amber lens. They would likely be brighter if I used a clear lens.

Regardless, they are brighter than the OEM bulbs.

I also installed the DOT flasher (P/N: EDFR) in place of the OEM flasher. It does not auto cancel, but that's not a big deal to me.

The tail/brake LED on the other hand.... are AWESOME.

VERY bright and noticable.

Anyone know if Kuryakyn makes a plug and play controller for the Venture. Just installed a RTB controller on the bosses 1300 v-star ( #4612) but I can,t find any mention of the Venture or a Royal Star controllers on there site, plug and play would be nice. Thanks:snow2:

My 07 RSV has the BAZ (three pin sockets on the front). I think I remember the 05 RSV that I did for my wifes cousin was the same.

How fast is too fast?

DOT says turn signals should be 60 to 120 flashes per minute. When I installed my LED turn signals...without the load equalizers....mine was flashing over 140 flashes per minute. Hazzard flashers were not effected. It was OK...but, I was concerned about the LEO stopping me off on a trip in another state...and I felt it could be an safety issue since they were flashing pretty fast.

You can fix the high flash rate either of two ways. Load equalizers...some companies have one for the entire bike... and some have one for front and one for rear. I used one for both front and one for rear mounted under just under the trunk just behind the back seat. You can Replace flasher with a electronic version...kind like I used to have a truck without a towing package on it...the turn signals blink fast when I pulled a trailer with lights. I fixed it by adding a heavy duty flasher.

I too noticed the LED boards did not seem to fit inside the turn signal lenses..and took a file and filed the edge of the boards down till they just dropped into the turn signal lenses. I had to do that on my 07 RSV the 05 RSV I did and my son's 08 VSTAR.

I love my LED turn signals and 100 LED tail light that I got from custom dynamics.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Canuck,

I used the Kuryakyn 4613 RTB on my 09. It shows working for the 1600 roadies and v-stars. I don't know why they don't list RSV's but worked fine on mine, direct plug / play. I even called Kuryakyn so called 'tech support' when I was looking and they were no help, just read the book and said use the wire in style. Kept digging and took plug pictures into my local shop trying to find right one. Pictures looked right so they let me take a 4613 to test and verify it worked. It's great to have good local shops to help.

I am also thinking of getting the white LED turn signals. Would it be better to get the amber LED's and change out the lenses to the clear ones? I'm also going to get the knight riderz that sequence from side to side for the back, and the 100 LED tail light.

:Venture:

The amber lights work best with clear lenses, the white work best with amber lenses. It's a matter of the lens filtering the light.

Doesn't matter which way you go. If you like the amber lenses get white. If you're longing for clear lenses, go the other way. I have the Black Cherry '06, which came with clear lenses, so I got amber LEDs and a smoke tail light lens with the LED tail light. Mine is a fashion statement relating to the sexiest color. She wears a tank bra too. :)