IGNORED

US Census

CMIKE

As many of you know the news has been reporting that the 2010 census will be arriving sometime in March or was it May of this year. They said it would be 10 questions and encouraged folks to fill it out and get it back to them ASAP.

Well a buddy of mine got a census survey the other day. It is 48 question...supposed to take you 38 minutes to fill it out. With some of the questions they ask I doubt you could fill it out in 2 days due to the research require to give correct answers.

I looked it over and could not believe all the stuff that is on there. I think there is a post from Jan of last year where somebody here got one seems just like it.

First you have to list iformation about every one who lives in the household. Race Sex date of birth...no real problems there

Then they get into a lot of stuff that is really none of their business.

Describe your house...housetrailer, apartment etc.

How many rooms is in it...when was it built, do you have running water, flush toliet, stove, refrigerator?

How much land is it sitting on? How much agriculture products did you raise on that land? how do you heat your house...what did it cost last month.

How much is you monthly payment? How much is your taxes? How much is your insurance?

Do you have health insurance? who is it with? When did you get married? how long have you been married...how many times have you been married? Have you had a baby in the last 12 months? Are you a grandparent taking care of grandchildren? Do you go to school? Where - address?

Did you work last week? How may hours? How much did you make? Where did you work last week? Address? What kind of a compay do you work for? What are your duties at work? What time did you leave home for work? How did you get to work? How many cars, trucks 1 ton and under do you own? How many minutes did it take you to get to work? Income from work? Income from self employement, Interest, dividends? Total income from the last 12 months?

And they will fine you $5000 dollars for not filling this out. But they will fine you less if you lie on it.

My buddy is buying more guns and is about the declare war on the US goverment. They have mailed 2 surveys and 3 letters to him. Next step they going to contact him by phone and if they do not get the results they want they are coming to his house.

I saw the letter.

I think they are getting a little bit too Bold with this. There is gonna be trouble...just watch the news you will hear about it I am sure.

what do we do ????.....how do we stop it without going to jail?? or paying a fine ??...everyday it's a little more intrusion from this or that......jeez !!..if i answer " none of your business " then they're knocking on my door ??

( don't want to start anything political here )

As many of you know the news has been reporting that the 2010 census will be arriving sometime in March or was it May of this year. They said it would be 10 questions and encouraged folks to fill it out and get it back to them ASAP.

From what I can gather from this website there are only 10 questions required by law to be answered. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

Don't know where the 48 questions come from unless you have 20 kids???

I will reserve all other comments except for this one. Beware of the possibility of it being a scam. The census bureaus typically send those things out in mass to chunks of zip codes at a time. Your friend can call the local census bureau and determine if it IS, in fact, a real one or not.

It sounds like if one were to answer all of that kind of information it would be quite easy to 'walk off' with someone elses' identity.

In other words, sounds a little bit like a scam to me...

Just a thought. It is ALWAYS wise to check the validity of anything before putting down personal information.

Just a thought. It is ALWAYS wise to check the validity of anything before putting down personal information.

Diito what he said...........:thumbsup2:

I can almost guarantee that this is a scam. Here is a copy of the law that pertains to refusal to answer questions. Note that the fine is $100, not $5000:

Title 13

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. © Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Tell your friend to go to this website: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/ and find the phone number to call to ask about this 48 question scam he received.

I have one of the Census surveys that they sent him. 48 questions. I am looking at it.

I have one of the brochures that was included in with the survery...under frequently asked questions.

"Do I have to answer all of the questions on the american community survey?

YES. Your responce to the survey is required by LAW (Title 13, US Code, Section 141 and 193). Title 13, as changed by Title 18, imposes a penalty for not responding. We estimate this survey will take about 38 minutes to complete."

One of the letters that the census sent says the fines were amened in 2009 from $100 to $5000.

I talked to my buddy a while ago...he said was on the phone with the census folks yesterday and asked them why they need all this detailed information.

They said...what if you move across the country...how would you know what the houseing is gonna cost in your new location. He told her he would call a real estate agent in the area. They said they provide that information to the real estate aents from this survey.

WHAT?

So...if my buddy who is no real estate person or no appraiser of real estate..puts on this survey that his house is worth $50,000 cause he really has no idea and is just guessing since he paid that for it in 1983. The Census is gonna feed that to all the Real estate agents for what the local houseing cost in the area. Seems to me the Realestate agent would look at the houses he has sold in the past 6 months to see what they are going for.

Do they really think we are that stupid.

I really think there are 2 differnt census surverys...the 10 question that is going to arrive in the next few months and this one is random...somebody here got one in Jan 09 that sounded like this 48 question version.

I just hope they forget about my buddy...I am really concerned he is gonna do something to get into really big trouble. Usually if the Goverment leaves him alone...he pays his taxes does what he is supposed to do. Mess with him...he's goes extreme.

I will reserve all other comments except for this one. Beware of the possibility of it being a scam. The census bureaus typically send those things out in mass to chunks of zip codes at a time. Your friend can call the local census bureau and determine if it IS, in fact, a real one or not.

It sounds like if one were to answer all of that kind of information it would be quite easy to 'walk off' with someone elses' identity.

I got one of them in my hand. It is real.Got US dept of commerce on every page. Rreturn envelope addressed to Director U. S. Census Bureau and has up at the corner. Offical Business Pentalty for Private USE $300

It is called the American commuity Survey.

Got this off the US census site...

ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN THE AMERICAN COMMUNITY SURVEY

Social Characteristics: Marital Status | Marital History | Fertility | Grandparents as Caregivers | Ancestry | Place of Birth, U.S. Citizenship and Year of Entry | Language Spoken at Home | Educational Attainment and School Enrollment | Residence 1-Year Ago | Veteran Status: Disability Rating and Period of Service

Economic Characteristics: Income | Food Stamps Benefit | Labor Force Status | Industry, Occupation, and Class of Worker | Place of Work and Journey to Work | Work Status Last Year | Vehicles Available | Health Insurance Coverage

Housing Characteristics: Year Structure Built | Units in Structure | Year Moved into Unit | Rooms | Bedrooms | Plumbing | Kitchen Facilities | House Heating Fuel | Telephone Service Available | Home Value | Rent | Mortgage Status | Selected Monthly Owner Costs

He has been talking to them on the phone from the number provided on the survey packets...they told him the penaltys were increased in OCt 2009 to $5000.

They said they provide that information to the real estate aents from this survey.

This is simply 100% false. My mom happens to be a real estate agent and for the last couple years she has been doing appraisals under the main appraiser that her office uses (times are a little slow for her so she decided to pick up some extra cash by helping him out for a while).

Property values are decided based primarily on market conditions for that particular area. Also on, of course, condition of the house, land, etc etc. But no. They do not ever refer to the census to determine the value of a home.

Local cities or counties do have government appraisers that come around once a year (well, are supposed to) to appraise your property to know how much 'rent' (property tax) you need to pay for your little chunk of land. But again, this has NOTHING to do with the census people.

I got one of them in my hand. It is real.Got US dept of commerce on every page. Rreturn envelope addressed to Director U. S. Census Bureau and has up at the corner. Offical Business Pentalty for Private USE $300

It is called the American commuity Survey.

Got this off the US census site...

ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN THE AMERICAN COMMUNITY SURVEY

Social Characteristics: Marital Status | Marital History | Fertility | Grandparents as Caregivers | Ancestry | Place of Birth, U.S. Citizenship and Year of Entry | Language Spoken at Home | Educational Attainment and School Enrollment | Residence 1-Year Ago | Veteran Status: Disability Rating and Period of Service

Economic Characteristics: Income | Food Stamps Benefit | Labor Force Status | Industry, Occupation, and Class of Worker | Place of Work and Journey to Work | Work Status Last Year | Vehicles Available | Health Insurance Coverage

Housing Characteristics: Year Structure Built | Units in Structure | Year Moved into Unit | Rooms | Bedrooms | Plumbing | Kitchen Facilities | House Heating Fuel | Telephone Service Available | Home Value | Rent | Mortgage Status | Selected Monthly Owner Costs

He has been talking to them on the phone from the number provided on the survey packets...they told him the penaltys were increased in OCt 2009 to $5000.

Weird... Well, I've got a bunch more words about this but I should probably keep them to myself...

EDIT:

I have one of the Census surveys that they sent him. 48 questions. I am looking at it.

I have one of the brochures that was included in with the survery...under frequently asked questions.

Sorry, I did not read this very carefully earlier and had missed some pertinent info... :doh:

end edit

----------------------

https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=781&p_created=1103807925&p_sid=VnXw98Tj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xMjc3LDEyNzcmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Here is some more information on it. I don't see anything regarding a fine for not filling it out (I did just skim over it very quickly though, so I could have easily missed it) but I DO see that they claim that you are required by law to fill it out 'completely and to the best of your ability'.

Lucky you.

Edited by LilBeaver
Oops...

From the FAQ:

Why did I get a reminder postcard about this survey when I haven’t even received the survey?

Sometimes the postcards reminding you to complete and return the survey actually arrive sooner than the survey materials because they travel more quickly through the postal system.

Even my wife doesn't nag me about stuff before she asks me the first time.

I am going to answer to the besto f my ability. Of course I am like Ronald Regan.

I can't remember. is a good answer to most of them.

they can just try to come get me. I have to be tried by a jury of my peers.

Yeah! I like that! I fergit! Yeah! That's the ticket! Anyway, doesn't the givernment have to PROVE you received the mail??? Isn't that why people get "served" in person? They can say they never received the mail?

Mail gets lost, stolen, misdelivered,etc...

I dunno, anyone have a reply to the lost mail defense? I've seen lots of Preachers throw out every government document they ever got, with no apparent recompense.

Well a buddy of mine got a census survey the other day. It is 48 question...supposed to take you 38 minutes to fill it out. With some of the questions they ask I doubt you could fill it out in 2 days due to the research require to give correct answers.

I looked it over and could not believe all the stuff that is on there. I think there is a post from Jan of last year where somebody here got one seems just like it.

First you have to list iformation about every one who lives in the household. Race Sex date of birth...no real problems there

Then they get into a lot of stuff that is really none of their business.

Describe your house...housetrailer, apartment etc.

How many rooms is in it...when was it built, do you have running water, flush toliet, stove, refrigerator?

How much land is it sitting on? How much agriculture products did you raise on that land? how do you heat your house...what did it cost last month.

How much is you monthly payment? How much is your taxes? How much is your insurance?

Do you have health insurance? who is it with? When did you get married? how long have you been married...how many times have you been married? Have you had a baby in the last 12 months? Are you a grandparent taking care of grandchildren? Do you go to school? Where - address?

Did you work last week? How may hours? How much did you make? Where did you work last week? Address? What kind of a compay do you work for? What are your duties at work? What time did you leave home for work? How did you get to work? How many cars, trucks 1 ton and under do you own? How many minutes did it take you to get to work? Income from work? Income from self employement, Interest, dividends? Total income from the last 12 months?

And they will fine you $5000 dollars for not filling this out. But they will fine you less if you lie on it.

My buddy is buying more guns and is about the declare war on the US goverment. They have mailed 2 surveys and 3 letters to him. Next step they going to contact him by phone and if they do not get the results they want they are coming to his house.

I saw the letter.

I think they are getting a little bit too Bold with this. There is gonna be trouble...just watch the news you will hear about it I am sure.

The only time they ever sent me anything was in 1980. I sure hope they miss me again this time. I would rather not have the trouble... because all they will get back from me is "2 adults live here" written across the front of it.

I feel JUST like your buddy but I'm not going to try and take them on alone. But I'm definitely not going to go along with them like a sheep.

Note: I don't own any guns or ammo... and I'm not buying any more to go with the ones I don't have. :D

Hell, I'll just give them my SS # and they can go look it up themselves.......:whistling::stirthepot::doh:

Not so sure I would go that far but...most of this information should be availble from other government agencies. Like how may automobiles you have...the states should know how many vehicles they have licensed in a state. They should know how may babies were born in the last 12 months cause you have to get a Birth certificate. State and local tax authorites know what the building is worth or at least what the tax it on.

They know how many cars pass down a certian road through the hwy department checks that occasionally.

Yeah! I like that! I fergit! Yeah! That's the ticket! Anyway, doesn't the givernment have to PROVE you received the mail??? Isn't that why people get "served" in person? They can say they never received the mail?

Mail gets lost, stolen, misdelivered,etc...

I dunno, anyone have a reply to the lost mail defense? I've seen lots of Preachers throw out every government document they ever got, with no apparent recompense.

Only problem here is that he's been talking to them about the census he received in the mail.