IGNORED

Clutch Slipping ONLY 15300 Miles

Whitlow

So I have only 15300 miles on my 03 SV and I have noticed the clutch is slipping. when I reall get into it and also when I in it hard and shift gears. I have owned several Honda VTX1800's a GW and a HD RoadKing and all have had more miles than my RSV and never had any clutch slipping problems. Anyone out the have any good advice for me?

Thanks

Yep, Yamaha puts a weak spring in the bike. I had about 30,000 on my bike when I started noticing it. Very easy fix. Buy a new clutch spring for a vmax. Can't remember where I got mine from, other than it was in New York. Suuidly put me on to those guys. It only takes about 15-20 min to replace, and WOW what a difference!!! Don't mess with Yamaha replacement. I think it only cost me like $60.00 or so and it came with a full friction disk instead of the half one that yamaha puts in.

Big Mike

p.s. I'll see if I can find out who I went through and get back to you.

heres the place your looking for.....:smile5:

http://www.pcwracing.net/

Thanks Ruffy thats the place. Great guys to deal with too!:clap2::thumbsup2:

And by the way if you call these guys and tell them what is going on, they will tell you exactly what you need to do the upgrade.:080402gudl_prv:

Big Mike

P.S. after I did the upgrade, it didn't matter what kind of oil I used it wouldn't slip

Edited by big mike

My Venture is going under the knife (wrench) before the beginning of the season for a replacement spring from PCW. Just a bit of slipping at 75000 km (46000 mi) but I want to do it before there is much wear on the friction disks or steels. From what I have read, there is probably no need to replace anything else unless it has been slipping for awhile.

Ross

So I have only 15300 miles on my 03 SV and I have noticed the clutch is slipping. when I reall get into it and also when I in it hard and shift gears. I have owned several Honda VTX1800's a GW and a HD RoadKing and all have had more miles than my RSV and never had any clutch slipping problems. Anyone out the have any good advice for me?

Thanks

Did you buy it new? I'm wondering if someone put energy conserving oil in it in the past.

My 07 slips periodically as well. It is only happens when I really get on it, or when I have a passenger. I guess the additional weight makes a difference. I purchased mine new and only use Yamaha oil.

I will be replacing my spring soon. The spring you are getting from PCW Racing, is it a Barnett?

No I did not buy it new is there anything I can do to check for the use of this oil? Can I do anything to it now to correct it if it has had that oil used?

Thanks

Other than simply asking the previous owner, I can't think of anything.

The oil soaks into the clutch plates. I would imagine that once it's there, it's there. Over an extended time it would probably be displaced by the new oil, but that won't be much help now.

Mostly I'm wondering why you'd be having problems at such low mileage. I too have replaced my spring with the PCW kit, but my problem showed up at the high 30s.

I'd suggest letting your old fiber disks drip/drain for a while, then soaking them with the proper oil. Just in case the issue is energy conserving oil, though as Big Mike pointed out it probably won't matter with the new spring.

I'd also suggest the PCW kit. It includes a full fiber disk to replace the half disk. Of course, you could accomplish the same thing by buying the replacement +7% (Or +25%, both are performance parts aimed at the Roadstar and probably V-Max.) spring at Yamaha, but by the time you get the full fiber disk and the gasket it'll probably wind up costing you more than what PCW charges for the whole kit. Plus, since we don't really know if it's the 7% or 25% spring it'll save you the guesswork.

I will be replacing my spring soon. The spring you are getting from PCW Racing, is it a Barnett?

No. The Barnett uses coil springs, any one of which can weaken leading to problems. The PCW kit uses a flat spring, like the stock one, which tends to either work or not work. The flat spring is generally considered the preferred form, though this is getting pretty close to oil and tires as far as the disagreement factor is concerned. The Barnett is much prettier, but unless you have a clear cover nobody's going to know.

Although a slipping clutch before 50,000 miles is very common on this bike, it rarely starts before 30,000, so it happening at such low mileage on yours is significant.

I ordinarily recommend just replacing the spring and the weenie half-plate with the PCW upgrade kit as a total fix for this problem - even with over 50,000 miles on the stock friction plates they will still measure within the original stock thickness. However, with such low mileage on your machine, it certainly suggests the cause is an improper oil or additive at some point.

The unknown issue with trying to re-use the stock friction plates is if the particular oil additive that caused the problem is embedded in or bound to the surface of the friction material. The safest course of action is to simply replace all the friction plates with the spring. However, if you really want to try to save a few bucks, I'd take out the plates and scrub them well with a degreaser or gasoline and a brass brush, then re-soak them in the proper engine oil before you put the clutch back together. If the clutch starts slipping again within a few thousand miles or so, simply open it up again and replace the friction plates at that point. It won't cost you any more than just buying a second gasket. Considering how easy it is to open the clutch, this is a viable option unless you simply want to just do the job once and continue riding without worrying about it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Whitlow,

You are only about 2 hours from me If you want some help let me know. I've done several of the PCW replacements. It only takes about 30mins. mine started to slip at about 45,000. did the PCW upgrade and no problems at 65,000 so far.

wow , that's a lot of rpms, what cam and springs are you using ?????

(lol).............

I called and talked to John at PCW and he told me that after I install the clutch upgrade kit I should have no problems. I talked to him about different types of oil and he told me it made no difference as long as I stayed away from a full synthetic oil that the energy conserving type oils will be fine with it. It cost me $75.00 for the it and after shipping $85.00 so they have gone up in price.

Full motorcycle synthetic oil such as Amsoil or Mobil1 should not hurt the clutch. While I dont have the PCW kit on mine I did replace the clutch with the pretty Barnett pressure plate and carbon fiber discs. Yep, it was pricey..about 180.00 back in 2004. I never knew about PCW then. And I run full synthetics too. :smile5:

... I talked to him about different types of oil and he told me it made no difference as long as I stayed away from a full synthetic oil that the energy conserving type oils will be fine with it...

Hmmmm. I've always heard that the other way 'round. Synthetic's ok. Energy conserving's bad. The local Yamaha dealer recommends the new Yamaha full synthetic. Wonder if John was just having an Old Timers day? For some reason it's happened to me before...

I'm thinking that after shipping mine was around $85 and I got it within the last six months or so. It's still cheaper than getting it from my local Yamaha dealer. When I checked they wanted that much for just the spring.

I thought the same thing about the oils I have owned 3 Honda VTX1800's and was always told any oil but energy conserving type oil due to clutch slippage. But I talked to John for quite awhile about just this. He told me he would use any oil as long as it was not full synthetic oil. And by the way I got my clutch upgrade kit today.

Oil is a personal preference..Ive been using Full synthetic since 2004 with no problem. Same clutch in the bike,just updated the spring. Its all a matter of opinion but thats the great thing about this forum,to discuss and get ideas and or opinions. If asked I usually just say use what you like.