IGNORED

Plug Wires Question

Toward the end of the season my 86 wasn't too appreciative of wet weather....it would kick up quite a fuss for about 10 -20 kms (as I believe the engine would warm up and dry the moisture of the plug wires)...then all would be just fine. I actually sprayed the wires which was helpful but didn't quite elieviate the problem. A collegue gave me a set of wires that he wasn't using to replace mine.

Question lead in......if you look at a cross section of the current wire it is braided core with a black sheath surrounding it......the wires he gave me are braided core, white inner sheath then the outer black sheath........Is there a big difference???...can I use the wires he gave me??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ed,

Your stock wires being 24 years old were made during a time when silicone was not regularly used. The new set has a silicone inner core and the regular PVC outer covering. It has been my experience that the caps cause as much if not more trouble than the wires. There is a vendor that regularly lists a very nice set of spark plug wires on Ebay with top of the line NGK caps in the $40.00 range. I have used these plug wires many times and have never had a problem with a single set. I, like you am always willing to save a buck or two but there are some things (like high voltage electricity) that I prefer not to take short cuts on. Not to mention, if you replace your wires with the set your buddy gave you they may cause another problem. If $40.00 gets you another 24 years of trouble free performance than I would call that money well spent.

Hope this helps,

Earl

Yah!! I'm with Earl! Just how good do you think a set of 24 year old wires to be anyway?? Even if thyey only had a hundred miles of use on them, they are still 24 years old, dried up, and pretty much worthless! Buy some new wires son, buy some new wires, and change your plugs too..

Thanks gents......I know mine have to be replaced....there's no doubt about it.

The ones my buddy gave me are brand new and come with NGK caps.....after further examination I find that there is a inner and outer sheath on both original and the new ones the only difference is that the inner on the new ones is white and it tends to stand out.

I don't know if my schedule is going to permit it but I would love to meet some of you folks (Skydoc you especially as you've been so helpful with any question I have). I will try to make the Potato Creek RV but won't know until the date gets much closer.

Thanks again all

Ed,

Here is the guy on ebay that Earl was talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Spark-Plug-Wires-Red-XVZ1200_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad64bb617QQitemZ390142342679QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I have bought several sets from him with no problems and he's pretty decent to deal with. Make sure you specify what color wires you want also.

Ed,

Here is the guy on ebay that Earl was talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Spark-Plug-Wires-Red-XVZ1200_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad64bb617QQitemZ390142342679QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I have bought several sets from him with no problems and he's pretty decent to deal with. Make sure you specify what color wires you want also.

Thank you for the link Squidley, I have not had problems with my wires but did have with the TCI. I should replace them while I have the bike torn down.

the biggest thing to know is do your wiers or cap's have a resister in them and if your bike has them.

Thank you for the link Squidley, I have not had problems with my wires but did have with the TCI. I should replace them while I have the bike torn down.

the biggest thing to know is do your wiers or cap's have a resister in them and if your bike has them.

Your welcome and I agree while you have it torn down that they should be replaced. These wire sets work great as I have installed about half a dozen on various 1st gens

:happy34:

If the plug wires your friend gave you are new and in good condition there is no reason they shouldn't work. It is not uncommon for different manufactures to use different compositions for the insulating part of the wire. I have purchased many sets of plug wires over the years, cheap and expensive. Sometimes higher cost equates to better wires sometimes not.

The difference between the MKI and MKII sets is the MKI set has two angled plug caps just the way the stock sets are. I believe the angled caps are a bit more pricy and that is the reason for the difference in price. I have actually run the MKII set on a MKI with no ill effects. (It's actually easier to pull the straight plug caps to change plugs) Of course, I don't run the plastic "Heat Shields" on my bike. Plug changing is a snap.

Earl

It's been 2 or 3 years since I changed my wires and ends so prices may have went up a little but when I got mine I got the ends and wire from Rick Hafferkamp at http://www.buckeyeperformance.com . The ends were the original NGK that come standard on the bike and about 8 feet of the correct wire for twenty something dollars. The correct NGK ends were 3.00 and change each and the rest was for the wire. At the time those kits were being sold on e-bay with buy it now of 40.00. Most auto part stores carry these exactly identical components at better prices than the e-bay guy.

Toward the end of the season my 86 wasn't too appreciative of wet weather....it would kick up quite a fuss for about 10 -20 kms (as I believe the engine would warm up and dry the moisture of the plug wires)...then all would be just fine. I actually sprayed the wires which was helpful but didn't quite elieviate the problem. A collegue gave me a set of wires that he wasn't using to replace mine.

Question lead in......if you look at a cross section of the current wire it is braided core with a black sheath surrounding it......the wires he gave me are braided core, white inner sheath then the outer black sheath........Is there a big difference???...can I use the wires he gave me??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ANY stranded core wire is usually good. The better ones have about 20 strands.I have just what you describe...black, white then core wire. That I got at a auto parts store. I do not recommend graphite resistor wire like cars have used for years. Graphite wire cannot be used with resistor caps or any NGK cap.