IGNORED

My new to me 85 Venture!!!!

Ottawa

At last, I got my 1985 Venture in and had a good look at it. I picked it up off Kijiji in North Bay without seeing it but had a good feeling about the owner and what I saw in his photos.

NOT A TRACE OF RUST ANYWHERE!! I don't think this old girl has ever seen rain or dust. Around 75,000KM on it. I picked it up for $1000.00 Canadian fully decked out as you can see from the photos in my album. All it needs is a fresh glass coat if I feel like it this winter. I took it apart to replace the rear signal light (supplies) and even in the in the hard to get at places there is no dirt. I even found a spare key the previous owner never knew about. He only had it serviced from a dealer in North Bay. I think I got a sweet deal. Put a fresh battery in it and it started right up. Very nice. I plan on changing the fluids breaks and such.

OK I sound a bit exceeded :dancefool: but when you see a first gen in such good condition it calls for a party!!guitarist%202.gif:cool10:

One question:

What I can do to keep the rust away.

Any suggestions since I plan to ride not hide it.

The paint looks original so I hope to keep it. I will have some new photos soon.

WOW, you certainly did well in that purchase. Enjoy shinning her up and riding long, hard, happy and safe, and hopefully with a Queen Seat or UP Lady rider, ... IF you are that wealthy. I'm still looking for mine. LOL

PS Same on the shot of both of you. Hope things are well.

FYI: I have enjoyed the post, ‘What would you do differently in cycle wreck?’ It has been very education and I recommend it to you.

And if you have not posted to my POST, THE OLDEST VENTURE RIDER on 1st and 2nd Gen tech talk, please do so; as well in 2nd gen tech talk I’ve added a post (Dangerous!?) : YOUNGEST TO OLDEST QUEEN SEAT AND UP VR RIDERS. The whole gang has jumped in, so post your two cents worth as well. So far the oldest is 77 and the youngest is 16. And, can you believe it? He rides a 1st gen VR!

Also, come to CO and I will keep up with you at my soon to be 71 with two new knees and on my 86 VR.

JackZ

At last, I got my 1985 Venture in and had a good look at it. I picked it up off Kijiji in North Bay without seeing it but had a good feeling about the owner and what I saw in his photos.

So where are the photos ? Don't you know the rules ? :stickpoke:

Brad

T o keep the rust away, touch up the paint on anything metal that has paint and chips. On chrome, use a good chrome polish followed up by regular car wax on a regular basis. Keep the bike (or any vehicle) washed because rust will start quicker where there is dirt. Why? Because dirt will hold water and keep the area wet longer than if it were clean, so a vehicle that is kept cleaner will rust less or slower than one that is dirty, if both are wet (in the rain etc) equally.

For parts that may have a little rust on them already, for Chrome, use a chrome cleaner and hope for the best, for painted areas, use POR 15 (google it) a great rust converter/paint that prevents rust from coming back. You can just Paint Over Rust (thus the name) or you can clean up the rust, cover with POR 15 and then paint over that. the POR 15 won't last where it will be hit by the sun, so be sure to paint it if in an area open to the sun. Where the sun doesn't get, you can just use the POR 15 and it should be fine.

What type of choke lever do you have? From the pics it looks like it might be the one that rotates in front of the left grip. I tried to blow up your pic but it fell apart and couldn't get a clear peek. The reason I'm asking is the bike might be an '84???? Or maybe Canadian '85's had the rotating lever instead of the slider under the hi'lo beam switch?? In the US the only model that came out with the rotating type choke.. in front of the grip.. were the '84's.

What type of choke lever do you have? From the pics it looks like it might be the one that rotates in front of the left grip. I tried to blow up your pic but it fell apart and couldn't get a clear peek. The reason I'm asking is the bike might be an '84???? Or maybe Canadian '85's had the rotating lever instead of the slider under the hi'lo beam switch?? In the US the only model that came out with the rotating type choke.. in front of the grip.. were the '84's.

Its the slider lever. Sorry about the photos but new ones will be up soon. It has a corban seat but not the back rest. I will look into one this summer. When I was looking it over I found that the dealer left a few bolts loose. I don't think a dealer will touch my bike unless I feel real comfortable with them. Unbelievable!! Next on the list is a hitch!

T o keep the rust away, touch up the paint on anything metal that has paint and chips. On chrome, use a good chrome polish followed up by regular car wax on a regular basis. Keep the bike (or any vehicle) washed because rust will start quicker where there is dirt. Why? Because dirt will hold water and keep the area wet longer than if it were clean, so a vehicle that is kept cleaner will rust less or slower than one that is dirty, if both are wet (in the rain etc) equally.

For parts that may have a little rust on them already, for Chrome, use a chrome cleaner and hope for the best, for painted areas, use POR 15 (google it) a great rust converter/paint that prevents rust from coming back. You can just Paint Over Rust (thus the name) or you can clean up the rust, cover with POR 15 and then paint over that. the POR 15 won't last where it will be hit by the sun, so be sure to paint it if in an area open to the sun. Where the sun doesn't get, you can just use the POR 15 and it should be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I will be diligent.

Man! the snow is taking sooooo loooong to melt!!!:snow2::snow:

Welcome to the group! Its good to see another 85 owner around. Mine was in the same shape as yours when I bought it a couple of years ago, but i sure paid more money than you did. Congrats on picking out a great bike and the best year. I call it the best year as we have the faster mk1 1200 bikes and the larger top bag thats removable with the key that no other year has.

If you can get the backrest , it helps a lot on the long rides and check out installing some kryakin longhorn offset highway pegs. it sure feels good to stretch out. If you need any info, please feel free to ask me or any one here there is some great knowledge kicking around. Youre in good company with the 85, chaharley, gigawhiskey, pbandj, YammerDan, myself and a few others all run the 85s and love them

(Oh and Jack (Condor) my choke lever slides horizontally in front of my left thumb)

Enjoy!!

Brian

PS we need more better pics!

Edited by friesman

With the first look at my 85 I named it"UGLY" Getting used to that brown I think. And she is going to be a good one when I get maint caught up. And put a 2nd gear in!!

I have a gear set i bought for cheap when i redid my output set. if ya need the set let me know.

Glorious Maxie Brown is beautiful, Dan you just didnt know it until now....lol

Brian

Hey Ryan,

Glad you are one of us MKI guys. Given your's is an 85, I am curious as to the last four of the serial number. This is because there is a cutoff point where the 2nd gear problem that is so common on the earlier bikes was fixed. I don't remember the exact number, but for some reason 1413 or something close to that keeps coming to mind. Maybe someone will give us both an update on this.

RandyA

Hey Ryan,

Glad you are one of us MKI guys. Given your's is an 85, I am curious as to the last four of the serial number. This is because there is a cutoff point where the 2nd gear problem that is so common on the earlier bikes was fixed. I don't remember the exact number, but for some reason 1413 or something close to that keeps coming to mind. Maybe someone will give us both an update on this.

RandyA

How does ...1227 sound.

Hey Guy welcome to the 85 owners bunch . Like friesman said the removable top box and bags are a nice thing to have. Thats exactly why I picked mine. Ours is the bike I believe the new FJR was meant to replicate.

I picked mine up 2 years ago this coming March and only paid $1800. She was in a little rougher shape that yours but a little sanding of the engine cases, new fork seals and a lot of cleaning and polishing and she turned into a real beauty check out her picture in my album. Of course the Brown and Golds are the prettiest and the fastest. Good choice! PB&J

......Serial number 1413 in 1985

so I guess you gotta treat that 2nd gear nicely for a while. Sorry to be the bearer of not-so-good news.

At the top of this article they state the serial number.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3927&postcount=1

Brian

I will give it a good test but I wonder if there is a way to find out through the dealers if the work was done? Would the dealers have a record like the car dealers have of work like this preformed? Both previous owners had all work done by the dealers so I could hope there is a record. I got some old repair bills with the bike and they were FULLY charged for all kinds of work. The last bill was $2000.00 for regular maintenance stuff.

Thanks for the link!

Edited by Ottawa
To say thanks

Wow, that sure is decked out........I was so close to purchasing an 85 when I went looking but opted for a standard 86.

For $1000 bucks you made quite a killing I think.......good luck and enjoy her.....it's also nice to see a fellow "ride rather than hide" type of rider out there.:cool10::cool10:

I will give it a good test but I wonder if there is a way to find out through the dealers if the work was done? Would the dealers have a record like the car dealers have of work like this preformed? Both previous owners had all work done by the dealers so I could hope there is a record. I got some old repair bills with the bike and they were FULLY charged for all kinds of work. The last bill was $2000.00 for regular maintenance stuff.

Thanks for the link!

If you have some bills where the work was done, perhaps you could ask them to dig thru thee records, but I dont think it likely on a bike thats 25 years old. I really think the only reason most records get kept at all is for warranty, after that youre on your own.

My stealer just laughed when I asked him about doing some work, so when I do decide to buy something else he will never ever get my business.But it seems to be the norm with dealerships, they dont want to do the service once warranty is over. theres a dealer about an hour from here that has an 20 year venture veteran working so i will deal there .

Brian

So where's the pictures Ryan?

:detective:

I'm getting there! I would really like a sunny day for the photos.

Its just been a little busy at the home (my work) . The retired folks need all kinds of stuff done. www.oakparkretirement.com I don't know where to post this idea, but, if anyone is comming to ottawa and needs a very nice place to stay, please get in touch with me. Most nice hotels go for over $130.00 here. I can set you up for $75.00 and that includes 3 very nice meals a day. :witch_brew: Thats if you don't mind staying at a retirement home. :grandma: I wonder who may need to start thinking about that!! :whistling: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Edited by Ottawa
spelling

if anyone is comming to ottawa and needs a very nice place to stay, :witch_brew: Thats if you don't mind staying at a retirement home.

Dam, that's a great idea...I'd fit right in, and I love touring Ottawa at least once a year. BUT I CAN'T TELL IF YOU'RE SERIOUS OR NOT WITH THOSE SMILEYS.

????????

Yes, its a serious offer. I can arrange for a place for someone to stay. Just need advanced notice. I may not be able to travel around this summer too much, but, it would be nice to get a chance to meet a few of you.

And yes the photos will be taken very soon.