IGNORED

[GBRTK9] Fw: Virus coming!!

Subject: Fwd: Fw: [GBRTK9] Fw: Virus coming!!

READ ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to all your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'regardles s of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C drive of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address on his/her contact list. That is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it!

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even if it is sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.

REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

This appears to be a hoax.

Not that it isn't very good advice to not open stuff like this.

There is nothing currently on McAffee's watch list pertaining to this.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/default.asp

Snopes list it as a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

And Google search shows nothing current.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=postcard+from+hallmark+virus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]postcard from hallmark virus - Google Search[/ame]

Still good advice though.

Gary

I'm Mac user and that's one thing I like THERE IS NO COMP VIRUSES FOR APPLE MAC.

But I will consider warning. Thanks for heads up.

I'd suggest you're living under a false sense of security.... unless of course you never connect to the internet. The fact is, there are viruses that attack MAC's as well as Linux OS ... they just aren't as common. And there is anti-virus software for both of those OSes.

Guest tx2sturgis
I'd suggest you're living under a false sense of security.... unless of course you never connect to the internet. The fact is, there are viruses that attack MAC's as well as Linux OS ... they just aren't as common. And there is anti-virus software for both of those OSes.

I wouldnt call it 'false'...I've been using Macs for 4 years now and not running ANY kind of virus scanning software. Of course the MAC OS has its own software firewall. I've never had a true attack. I love the little windows that open up as popups now and then and look all official and set about 'scanning' my Windows folder for viruses. Yeah, right. THAT would be a trick.

I set my OS to NOT open downloaded files automatically, I run behind a routers hardware firewall, and I dont open anything suspicious looking in an email.

I run backup software, and use due diligence in downloading any new programs.

If something DOES happen, I have all the original restore discs and backups of my valuable data.

Actually, I'd say my 'security' is pretty 'secure'. I have friends with Windows machines that are constantly fighting them to keep them working reliably. I used to battle with my Windows-based PC's. I'll take my current situation over theirs anytime.

And this new iMac is a GORGEOUS machine. You have to see one in operation to appreciate it. Someone on a Windows box will not be able to, so I wont even try.

My :2cents:

I wouldnt call it 'false'...I've been using Macs for 4 years now and not running ANY kind of virus scanning software. Of course the MAC OS has its own software firewall. I've never had a true attack. I love the little windows that open up as popups now and then and look all official and set about 'scanning' my Windows folder for viruses. Yeah, right. THAT would be a trick.

I set my OS to NOT open downloaded files automatically, I run behind a routers hardware firewall, and I dont open anything suspicious looking in an email.

I run backup software, and use due diligence in downloading any new programs.

If something DOES happen, I have all the original restore discs and backups of my valuable data.

Actually, I'd say my 'security' is pretty 'secure'. I have friends with Windows machines that are constantly fighting them to keep them working reliably. I used to battle with my Windows-based PC's. I'll take my current situation over theirs anytime.

And this new iMac is a GORGEOUS machine. You have to see one in operation to appreciate it. Someone on a Windows box will not be able to, so I wont even try.

My :2cents:

And I have been running Windows XP since it came out along with AVG anti-virus, harware firewall, etc. and I've not once had a virus attack or a system crash.

Times are changing tho and neither MAC nor Linux is totally "virus-proof" any more. Those of us who take various precautions such as you've mentioned above are the "smart ones" ... there are a lot of folks out there who don't do these things and tend to live under that "false sense of security" because they think their MAC or Linux box is "virus-proof".

(just a word of warning I give ... folks can take it or not, makes no diff to me)

:confused24:

I just don't get it. I have been using PCs all my life. I have used Macs when I have needed to and I choose to stick with PCs because of what I tend to do with computers PCs suit my needs more than a Mac does. I do need to use the windows OS over the Linux simply due to the types of stuff I end up needing to run and share and I don't have the time (or desire) to develop my own software or spend a lot of time downloading and debugging other's software (via Linux).

With that said, I use both Linux and windows systems and have never had a virus problem with a windows machine that I have used. So, what do I do? Well I guess it is more so what I don't do...

I don't open e-mails from anyone I don't know

I don't open e-mails that have attachments unless I know what it is, who it is from, etc.

I don't play games on the internet

I don't download a bunch of stuff

I don't do a lot of surfing on sites that would be conducive to attacking my machine

I do not leave my computer plugged into any network unattended - that is, if I am done using the network for the time being, I either turn off the adapter or unplug it from the network

I do not have any of the 'automatic updating' of the software on my machine enabled - that way I have complete control over when and what my pooter downloads

etc etc...

What I do:

I do have a firewall setup on my personal computer as well as the networks that I have personal control over

I do run the occasional anti-virus scan

I do keep a complete backup of my system so that if something does happen my data loss is a minimum

I do realize that there are far fewer viruses that make their way around to Linux or Mac systems (and the reasons for that from the computer programming standpoint) but so far I've been fine with the windows based machines I've been using.

Oh well, I am sure it will happen some time...

Just my :2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: on the 'issue'

:confused24:

With that said, I use both Linux and windows systems and have never had a virus problem with a windows machine that I have used. So, what do I do? Well I guess it is more so what I don't do...

I don't open e-mails from anyone I don't know

I don't open e-mails that have attachments unless I know what it is, who it is from, etc.

Just my :2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: on the 'issue'

I am using MS Outlook.

How do you delete an email without opening it. :think:

I understand not opening attachments, that's obvious.

But to delete an email, don't you have to select it first, then delete it.

I just tried to arrow down over an unopened one to delete it, but it opened as soon as I stopped moving down with arrow keys.

Gary

I am using MS Outlook.

I just tried to arrow down over an unopened one to delete it, but it opened as soon as I stopped moving down with arrow keys.

Gary

You probably have Preview Pane or Reading Pane turned on...

To turn it off, go to the View menu and you'll see there where you can do that.

I am using MS Outlook.

Gary

You probably have Preview Pane or Reading Pane turned on...

To turn it off, go to the View menu and you'll see there where you can do that.

:sign yeah that: Yup yup.

Also, within MS Outlook if you want to delete something permanently (that is get it ACTUALLY off of your system) you have to hold the "shift" key while you press delete. That removes it from your computer (or the exchange server, depending on how your particular machine is setup) instead of just moving it to the 'deleted items' folder.

:sign yeah that: Yup yup.

Also, within MS Outlook if you want to delete something permanently (that is get it ACTUALLY off of your system) you have to hold the "shift" key while you press delete. That removes it from your computer (or the exchange server, depending on how your particular machine is setup) instead of just moving it to the 'deleted items' folder.

Also, even if you have Reading Pane turned on, you can Right-Click the email and choose Delete from the menu without actually activating it.

There are some bad viruses and malwares out there today. I have to use microsoft windows because that is the only operating system used by the insurance companies I do business with. I have a firewall and anitvirus that updates every day and two other spyware and malware programs. I have had two malwares that popped up and started scanning my computer for virures and malwares and said I needed to pay for their program which is 49.95 to get the viruses and malwares off. This is a hoax and it will lock up you computer. The first time I was able to do a google search and find how to get in my directory and get the malware out. The second time I had to call my computer tech. He took my computer with him and was able to get me going again. He says the malware is coming from the Russian mafia. I didn't believe him but last week I received my monthly issue of Insurance technoloy. The editor of this magazine, with every available software program to protect their computers said the malware I just mentioned got on his company's computers and locked them down. He said the new malwares are coming from countries overseas and some of the money they get when suckers pay the 49.95 is even going to support some of the terrorist. He said the developers of these programs have gotten so smart that when you find the file the malware is in it will automatically move to another file. I saw an article on 60 minutes a few weeks ago where they interviewed the head of IT with the FBI. He said there is a new kind of soldier that we are fighting and he doesn't carry a gun. He is a computer expert. He said someone got in the pentagon's computer files snooping around and it was three days before the pentagon realized this. The 60 minutes reported asked, Do you know what country got in our files? The FBI said yes. 60 minutes said, would you tell me the country and the FBI said no. You can take all the precautions you want but it is going to get harder and harder to keep the criminals out.

What you say is true, but I've been using LInux exclusively for 5 years and to my knowledge have not had virus' or spy ware. While I like Linux I also understand that people have work and personal reasons for using different OSes. Certainly people are as protective of their OS as they are of their bikes. Yet I can't help but try and get others to try Linux or Ventures.

:thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's my turn now. I got my A** killed last weekend by A Trojan virus and a Worm too and malware too. When I would get rid of it it would come back! It killed my virus program and then wouldn't let me boot the laptop. It too me 2 days to get it all back up and going like before. I had a virus program too but it got threw soomehow and have no clue where it came from but it got my youngest sons laptop too. I am running everything at max check now and am seeing a slower response to programs. Oh well safe or fast? I'll take no viruses!.......Ken

I work in a school division with about equal numbers of MAcs and pc's (about 2500 of each). We use both and as far as I am concerned each are good in their own way and have their own skillsets and strong points. We run antivirus on macs, PC.s and a few Linux machines and actually have found few viruses on any type of machine, but Linux was the least affected, PCs the most. I have seen viruses wipe out a harddrives info on Macs and PC's not running an antivirus program, but never on a mac running a A/V program.

Bottom line is if youre not running a current regularly A/V program you may not get a virus if youre running MAC or PC but youre taking chances especially if you surf the net, as most new viruses seem to be coming in from hijacked or rogue webpages when you visit them.

I dont know why the cult of mac users seem to want to think they have such a superior system to the PC's when the stats we have at work really dont bear that out.

We have found that the 800 Ibook laptops purchased 2 years ago needed twice as many repairs as the 900 HP laptops purchased about the same time. The ibooks were a bit more stable in the OS than Xp or Vista on the HP's, but even those software issues werent more than a small percentage difference over that time. The pricing on both laptop units were within 50 bucks of being the same price.

I just dont understand of some mac users that like to needle PC users when their beloved system isnt as good as they beleive, IMHO

Brian