IGNORED

cold tires

TxVenture

Don't know if I posted this here or not. A couple of years ago, I had been out riding with the group I ride with and had stopped for supper. This was in the fall of the year here in SE Texas and was cool but not cold. We were in the resturant about 1 1/2 hr. When we came out, temp had cooled into the low 50's or high 40's. Started bike pulled out on asphalt. Was about a 1/2 mile to ramp for freeway, I-10 east. Went under I-10 was making turn to get on feeder road to ramp, when this van went around me on the right side intending to get in front of me. Didn't want to be behind said van, so grabbed a BIG handful of throttle. Now this is where this gets exciting!! A 1st. gen Venture in 1st gear really likes to accelerate, which in itself in not a bad thing. But, and I say again, but with cold tires and cold asphalt it turns into a BAD THING quickly!!!! The rear end decided to lead at this moment, and the direction it wanted to go was in the general direction of this 3/4 ton van which was beside me at this time!! I got it straightened up and didn't go down thank GOD, but I thought I might have to change underewar when I got home. The point of this, is don't grab a lot of throttle with cold tires on cold asphalt.

Don H.

I would suspect there was oil or something on the road that caused you to loose traction. Maby some fine sand or something like that.

I have never had the rear end of my 89 break loose from lack of traction , at highway speeds, unless their was something on the surface of the road that would cause it.

Maby you had just driven over an oil spill or something like that in the parking lot you had just left from.

If we assume your tire had good tread, and was properly inflated, and the road surface was in normal condition, then this event should not have happened.

Anyway, thats my take on it.

You might try to duplicate the situation under Perfect Road and Tire condx.

Ride safe,

• 5 months later...

I almost laid down my smaller Yamaha Vision a couple of years ago from cold tires. I went back and checked the road and then it occurred to me that it was 40's and I was one mile from home. Ever since, I have put a few miles on my tires before any drastic change of direction or accleration. You need enough time to warm the tires to proper internal operating temperature.

Running time = maximum amount of traction.

You may get away with a lot and then one day you may get a surprise. Great thing to keep in mind about motorcycle tires and the change in seasons.

Get ready for the cold spring stuff now,

Louie

• 1 month later...

I dont know nothing from nothing about GRABBING a MOUTHFULL of THROTTLE with cold tires cause I aint gonna ride in the cold in the first place.BUT what I do know is that I sure enough dont want to ever rack back on the throttle on a 1st gen ever, no never again just to much get up and gone for me.

I know cold tires or not , turning a corner where there is a railroad track immediately in the turn on a damp air evening . Both tires on the track at the same time ain't no fun either . I slid sideways for a couple of feet before I knew what happened . Luckily my reactions from the dirt bike days kicked in .

Gene

I'm thinking that there is a reason that Nascar (hell, all racecar) drivers swerve back and forth behind the pace car, and motorcycle racers put electric cozies (warmers) on their tires, before a race! :confused24:

It doesn't take long for tires to warm under normal conditions, but starting out with cool temps, or with mega-curves coming, up I always warm my tires by swerving back and forth as I start out. :biker:

I know cold tires or not , turning a corner where there is a railroad track immediately in the turn on a damp air evening . Both tires on the track at the same time ain't no fun either . I slid sideways for a couple of feet before I knew what happened . Luckily my reactions from the dirt bike days kicked in .

Gene

Manhole covers and those big metal plates over big holes in the road are a whole lot of fun too. :rotf:

Guest Bigin

Never had issues with cold tires even on high performance bikes. Dont ride that hard I guess but have had a scare or two on those crack repairs they do with liquid tar. Man those things will put you down on a hot day. Nearly washed the front end completely out once years ago when I had the Electraglide. Now I give them much respect. Have some on HWY 7 down to Jasper and today they were on the slick side and it was only 75 degrees. Above 90 they must get soft again or something, they can be almost like oil on the road. Be careful folks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As an add-on to the cold tire syndrome it is a good idea to remember that as our tires wear they change the profile of the contact patch and the corner section develops a more pronounced edge (hope that sounds right). It means we have less rubber when we lean over into that edge zone, then when it was new. The edge gets sharper and is just waiting for a cold day to surprise us. Even when we get to 50% of our wear we have lost the nice curve and developed a slip-prone tire scenario.

I have an 85 VR and when I am enjoying myself down a country twister I frequently run up to the edge (and maybe over, who can tell, since there is no more tread rubber there) on my Dunlop Elite II. My next tire is going to have a bit more tread around the side just in case, because these VR's can really put the sport into touring. There's a time and a place to have fun and for the cold I sit up a lot straighter and 'mind my manners'.

P.S. if us Canadians don't drive in cold weather, we don't drive at all :innocent: