IGNORED

A Zumo question

az1103

I updated my maps today (took over 6 hours) !!! Then when time came to actually load them on the Zumo, it announced that due to map expansion there was not enough room to load all maps and I should select the area desired...... Well.....That's really annoying !!!!

Has anyone run into the same thing? And what did you do about it?? Now it seems you can load maps onto an SD card....So I did, but what does that mean? Is it then necessary to insert card each time you "run off the edge of the world"? and what happens to your music waypoints etc...? I am truly annoyed.:bang head:

That has happened to several people. It even happened to me when I updated mine to the 2010 maps. I ended up deleting all the voices except for three that I occasionally use and also some songs that I had accidentally stored on internal memory instead of the SD chip that I had intended to. After that, the maps fit on the unit.

I emailed back and forthe to the techs at Garmin for a week or so and finally sent them a screen print of the gps hard drive showing what files are loaded and showing that it is 100% full. Before that they responded well. since sending the screen prints I have heard nothing from them and have not had the time to persue it any further. the last email was around the 2nd or 3rd of Jan.

Just curious, do the Garmin map updates cost money, or are they provided to owners for free?

Goose

Rule of thumb....

NEVER use the words "free" and "Garmin" in the same train of thought.

Updates for my Nuvi are $79 each time or $99 lifetime (and lifetime is defined as the length of time that I own that unit, or until they stop releasing updates....which they can do at any time).

Joe

I think the lifetime is around $199.00 for the 550 isn't it?

Or another way I have been doing it , is going to

Amazon and finding the update for half the price.

I also have noticed over the years that it is not worth

updating until about every 2 to 3 years as well.

Jeff

How do you update the maps? Never done that yet.

Bob,

They're downloadable at the Garmin website or at other places too I see. I paid $70.00 two years ago. I'll only do it every two years or so. Once you have it downloaded to your computer just hook up your unit to the computer and run the update. It should pretty much do it by itself.

Rule of thumb....

NEVER use the words "free" and "Garmin" in the same train of thought.

Updates for my Nuvi are $79 each time or $99 lifetime (and lifetime is defined as the length of time that I own that unit, or until they stop releasing updates....which they can do at any time).

Joe

I suspected as much - just wanted to know for sure. I am too cheap to pay for map updates unless there is something I really know I absolutely MUST have - and that just ain't the case for a casual-use GPS. I have had my XOG GPS for close to two years and I'm not about to pay them to update those maps. Heck, I have never updated the maps in my 2000 Jaguar XJ8 built-in GPS, and that's 10 years old now. Even though it gets a bit confused now and then around major new construction, it is not really an issue - certainly not worth wasting the money on a map update (at least to me).

If those companies would charge a REASONABLE fee for the updated maps, I'd buy them - but $30 - $70 is not even close in my book. The updates already exist, and it doesn't cost them a cent to support their customers who have already bought their product by allowing a download, so those high fees are just stealing to me. I'd probably pay $10, maybe $15 tops, but anything higher and I'm just tickled to not give them any business at all!

Well, after much time consuming fiddling here is what I did; I noticed that with this latest update a program called MapLoader appeared in the Garmin program files.:think: This , as it turns out, allows you to download the maps from the computer to the 550 or to the card in the 550 or to any card available to your computer!!!:happy34:

So I put a 2gig micro SD in the computer card slot and loaded the entire map set ! Then I also loaded my music and put the thing in the Zumo.......Sure enough, it loaded the maps at startup and the music is available as well!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Now if only this didn't take a ton of time to do!