IGNORED

seat suggestions,please...

I got rid of my '02 wing just to try something different,my wife rides a '02 silverado so I bought a '06 RSTD.I could ride 800 miles on my wing with no problems,it had the stock seat with a Utopia back rest.I ride 10 miles on the RSTD and when I get off my tailbone hurts,I mean HURTS.After 800 miles in 6 weeks I had to take 3 weeks off of riding 'cause my back hurt so bad.Yes,I dont have the best back in the world,but I could ride my wing forever and I was OK.I'm 6'3 weigh 235,will a Utopia or other seat help,or am I wasting my time and should I go back to a Wing?I'm trying to like this thing,but I feel like I got out of a 2006 caddy and got into a 1965 VW beetle.Advice is appreciated,would a Road Star be more comfortable? Thanks...

Bill (wpredock) adapted an RSV Road Sofa seat to his RSTD. I think the mounting points are different. PM him as he can help and guide you through it if you need. Seats are certainly a personal choice. I had Corbin on my V star and loved it, then changed to a different Corbin and hated it. A backrest may help to allow you to change your position and pressure spots.

Bill (wpredock) adapted an RSV Road Sofa seat to his RSTD. I think the mounting points are different. PM him as he can help and guide you through it if you need. Seats are certainly a personal choice. I had Corbin on my V star and loved it, then changed to a different Corbin and hated it. A backrest may help to allow you to change your position and pressure spots.

I have a friend that has a RSTD and he took my stock RSV seat, And Pillon Seat, and modified it to fit his RSTD and he added a backrest...He is very happy now,The stock seat on the RSTD is REALLY bad. Tom

as allan said i adapted the road sofa to my rstd.rode straight through from vogel to st.louis 600 mi with no pain.previous limit was about 200 miles.i think they make one to fit an rstd now.i have a ruptured lower disc and pinched siatic nerve and it hardly bothers me when riding now.bill :2133:

I also have an '06 RSTD with the stock seat. Thirty-some years ago, I thought I was Evel Knievel and broke my tailbone. I found a great amount of relief with the Diamond-R driver's backrest. Plus, it takes miles to break-in any new seat. Leland

Guest Deerjunky
I got rid of my '02 wing just to try something different,my wife rides a '02 silverado so I bought a '06 RSTD.I could ride 800 miles on my wing with no problems,it had the stock seat with a Utopia back rest.I ride 10 miles on the RSTD and when I get off my tailbone hurts,I mean HURTS.After 800 miles in 6 weeks I had to take 3 weeks off of riding 'cause my back hurt so bad.Yes,I dont have the best back in the world,but I could ride my wing forever and I was OK.I'm 6'3 weigh 235,will a Utopia or other seat help,or am I wasting my time and should I go back to a Wing?I'm trying to like this thing,but I feel like I got out of a 2006 caddy and got into a 1965 VW beetle.Advice is appreciated,would a Road Star be more comfortable? Thanks...

F6ryder, People have responded to your seat question, but not to your concern about your choice of the RSTD.

The Goldwing, in my opinion, is the ultimate ride in comfort. I have ridden the Wing and they cannot be equaled in smoothness and seat comfort. I do not think that you have to consider the RSTD as a 65 beetle if you find the right seat, set the air shocks at a poundage right for you, and keep your tire pressure correct. I would say you went from a Rolls Royce to a Caddy if you correct the seat. Mustang makes a great seat with a backrest. Corbin also makes one for your model. Some people say you have to break in a seat. The reps at Mustang Seats told me several years ago that they do not believe this is the case. I do not know. I just know that my stock seat will have to go next year because it was uncomfortable at 100 miles, and is still bad at 4,000. Hope you find the solution. Jim

I have the ultimate seat set from www.ultimateseats.ca on my 05 RStd. I like them very much. Did a trip to Myrtle Beach,then went over and rode the Dragon again before heading back home. Total of about 4500 kms. Never had an issue with back pain or numb butt. Des makes a very nice seat and I would recommend them. Might want to give them a look.

Ihad exactly the same problem am the same height and weight and after 20 min my tailbone hurt and one day I came home with a hurting tailbone and hoped right onto my vulcan classic with the Mustang seat and no pain at all so I purchased the Mustang seat with the backrest but the seat itself was a great improvement. Can't beat the mustang seat. I got mine on ebay. I called yamaha about this problem and they said I could BUY their other seat for $800. NO WAY. The mustang seat came with the removable backrest and the passenger seat. Also I feel the seat set too close to the tank or the tank is too wide at the crotch. I like the ride and am keeping the factory pipes since quiet is nice.

Good luck,

Bob

Yes the stock seat sucks on the RSTD!!

I did a 5k trip on it and I tried everything, sheep skin, car pad from Wally World to no avail. When I got home I ordered a Corbin/w the drivers backrest and I can go tank to tank without having to stop in between. I went to Daytona 430 + miles just doing tank to tank stopping and never felt i needed to get off at any time.

Yea it is as hard a board, but it works!! It will take about 500 - 1k miles to fully break in and conform to your ( | ), but it is soooo much better then stock all the time you are breaking it in.

I had a Corbin on my 98 Royal with the same results.

• 3 months later...

Hi-

Like you I bought a new 06 RSTD for a different ride,and just about quit after 10 Miles with tail bone aches.

We bought a new Hartco seat made especially for my tall height and weight. The seat is larger and sits lower than the original. My wife's seat is also MUCH wider. Both are very firm but we can ride them all day. The 02 Goldwing trike hardly gets used now. Diamond is nearly the same and is made in the same building. Daveinnh:322:

Hi-

Like you I bought a new 06 RSTD for a different ride,and just about quit after 10 Miles with tail bone aches.

We bought a new Hartco seat made especially for my tall height and weight. The seat is larger and sits lower than the original. My wife's seat is also MUCH wider. Both are very firm but we can ride them all day. The 02 Goldwing trike hardly gets used now. Diamond is nearly the same and is made in the same building. Daveinnh:322:

Are Hartco and Diamond the same??????

You can check out ultimate seats, they are a little expensive

:mo money: :mo money: :mo money:

But I have a couple of friends that have them, one is on a 03 Vstar V1100 Silverado, and the other is on an 05 Road Star. They took both bikes up to North Dakota from Dallas, Texas and they both raved on how comfortable they were. :whistling:

Hey, Bob - what seat did you end up buying?

HeeHee - I think I'm the wrong Bob but I'll answer anyhow. I bought the Ultimate seat with both passenger and rider matching backrests, right before we took a 3000 km, 7 day trip through B.C and MOntana last year.

It was immediately a lot better than the stock seat. I especially like the infinite adjustability of the rider backrest. My wife also liked it better right away. When it actually got the most comfortable was late in the trip, coincidentally after a thorough drenching that soaked into the seat through the stitching. It is definitely superior to the stock seat.

That being said, we still had to get off after about an hour or maybe 75 minutes, even by the end of the trip which is usually when you can sit the longest. My wife feels it more than I but we both do.

Then two weeks ago we rented a Harley Ultra with stock seat and did 800 miles in Arizona. One stretch, we were caught in a backup and were on the bike over two hours. Neither one of us was hurting even a little, and we had not even been on a bike since early October!

So I am debating between the Diamond and Russell Day-Long, and when I am done will sell the Ultimate, I think.

My concern with the Day-Long is a reported issue with in-seam challenge, which is also a minor issue with the Ultimate for me. (5'6", 29 inch inseam, beer belly...). Also, as comfortable as I am sure the Russell seats are while cruising, they are a bit ungainly looking in my opinion.

So I am leaning towards the Diamond while I vacillate :confused24: and think about it....

Bob LeDuc

Calgary

Rick Mayer custom seats are great, but he is a bit slow.. On my Kaw sport-touring bike I bought a spare seat from e-bay and sent it to him so I was not without a seat while I waited.

Stock Kaw seat was only good for 150 to 200 miles a day solo with the Mayer I can do 400 miles or better solo.

www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/index.html

Hey Vic, this is the Bob from Woodstock,GA. I got the seat from Hartco which is Mike Hart with diamond finish vinyl(last longer). I haven't riddien longer than an hour or so but can tell that it's perfect. They take your measurements and build it from there. Didn't take too long but I had my Vulcan to ride in the meantime so I didn't miss riding. Passenger seat is bigger as well as the driver seat. I had a passenger this weekend and she loved it especially with the mustang backrest that came with the tourpak. I'll take a px and send it to you. I also got the driver backrest which they put a pouch on the back of it for the passenger which is nice.

Hey, Hig - and others, if you look on Rick Mayer's web site, click on V-Star, that is my bike with the DiamondR backrest- Rick labeled it wrong. I have to say that his seats are 200% better than stock, and the wife loves her seat. I did a ride in service so I didn't have to wait - seems like all these guys you have to wait a month before getting the seat back. I put about 6,000 miles on his seat, and though I like it, I am always thinking there is something better out there, :rotf:. The only gripe I might have is that it is heck to put the seat back on - that lip under the pan just doesn't want to go into the slot where it is supposed to.

I contacted Russell Day Long - someone in a Star club here locally has one and I want to sit on it first before going that route. I agree - it looks weird but people I have spoken with LOVE them. I have seen Diamond, but don't know anyone with one to sit on and try first, but I like their idea of being able to "customize" the fabrics.:mo money: