IGNORED

Hard to believe

Its hard to believe that someone out there doesn't make a valve tool for our bikes at a reasonable cost. If there is someone or someplace I would like to know. The just atv site has been said to look questionable and I agree. Has anyone bought from them? With no phone number listed to call them to check if they have any in stock. I am reluctant to place a order. If I was a machinist I think there could be some money to be made by making them and if nothing else selling them on this site.

Its hard to believe that someone out there doesn't make a valve tool for our bikes at a reasonable cost. If there is someone or someplace I would like to know. The just atv site has been said to look questionable and I agree. Has anyone bought from them? With no phone number listed to call them to check if they have any in stock. I am reluctant to place a order. If I was a machinist I think there could be some money to be made by making them and if nothing else selling them on this site.

I sell them in my store for $48.31 with the VentureRider discount LINK. I do not stock them but will be placing an order with my supplier Jan 4 with customer delivery by the end of the month. My next order will go out mid January so if you're in a hurry you might want to consider getting your order in before Monday. It's also not inconceivable that they'll raise my cost with their new pricing book for 2010, which will hit any day now.

The one I sell is from K&L Supply and seems to be forged.

Interestingly I had a conversation with a machinist last night about making them for me and he is going to look into it (he hasn't seen the tool yet). There is enough detail to them that I'm not very confident I'll be able to provide them at a better price than what I currently have available. In any case, it'd be at least several months before I had them.

It is not the price that is the problem. It is the lack of availability that erks me the most. The price seems to be all over. Depending where you look. But finding one to be bought right now is darn near impossible. It has been said before that someone was going to try to make one but was told that there would be to much time involved to do it. Well given the time you place an order then wait for delivery. How much time is that? Days- weeks sometimes. This is why I believe that this would be something to look into. Is far as as sideline. Time to put the thinking cap on. PASS ME THE FIRE WRENCH!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

I made a dimensioned drawing of the one I borrowed from RandyR if anyone wants it.

I have AutoCad 2009 and PDF format.

PM me with an email and I will send you a copy of Autocad file if you want it.

PDF attached below.

Gary

It is not the price that is the problem. It is the lack of availability that erks me the most. The price seems to be all over. Depending where you look. But finding one to be bought right now is darn near impossible. It has been said before that someone was going to try to make one but was told that there would be to much time involved to do it. Well given the time you place an order then wait for delivery. How much time is that? Days- weeks sometimes. This is why I believe that this would be something to look into. Is far as as sideline. Time to put the thinking cap on. PASS ME THE FIRE WRENCH!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

Hand machining metal is both time consuming and expensive. It my be weeks or months of looking for you but even if it's just one hour for a machine shop your talking a 100.00 and I believe it would take much longer than that to set up the different machines to make one or a few. You could probably have them mass produced very cheaply in China but what are you going to do with 10,000 of them?

Dick

Unfortunately inventory costs money. An item needs to either turn fast or carry a huge mark up to justify the carrying cost.

The tool for these engines seems to be unique to the Yamaha V-4. While checking and changing shims is a pretty basic job, getting to them is a lot bigger task than most DIYers are willing to tackle. Not many shade tree guys buying them. Every shop has exactly one, and most of them were purchased in 1984. Net is that even if they were free you couldn't move many.

Since they don't move they are only inventoried at the wholesale level. They buy them in huge batches and have them around for years so there is a big mark up to the retailer. So you pay big $$ and have to wait weeks for a little J shaped piece of steel.

When it gets really ugly is when they run out at the wholesale level. Then the manufacturer has to install tooling and run some. I've been waiting since August for a set of carb holders for a Virago, they should be in in a few weeks. I'm willing to bet that the manufacturer wouldn't make them until after Christmas toy production was done.