IGNORED

Barnett clutch springs

dingy

Yes, but you can do the same by using two stock springs or one heavy spring.

:farmer:

I should have clarified this, I am interested in the helical spring kit. There are 6 springs in this design.

I don't believe it would be possible to double up on the helicals.

The 83 - 85's use helical springs, not the flat springs used in 86 & up.

Along the same lines, is there any advantage to using the flat spring design in place of the helical style?

I see kits for going to the helical spring but haven't seen one for going to the flat design from the helical.

I am going to have both style clutches available.

Gary

I've heard that the Barnett is just a MK1 design with probably stiffer springs. I have the full barnett kit in mine and looking at Mk1 pics can believe it. Can't give you an honest before/after assessment as my VSTD slipped pretty bad when I bought it. Clutch pull is harder than before but not unreasonable. Doesn't slip anymore.

Barnett supposedly sells a stiffer spring set, probably for the VMAX guys.

I'm not sure if the Barnet's are any better than new OEM?? By the time anyone gets around to replacing the clutch springs the originals have lost a lot of their rebound, and any fresh spring will be better than what's in there. However.... the Barnets run around $20 bucks. I'm not sure what the OEMs run.... too lazy to look... but I bet the way Yamaha is pricing things lately they're gonna run more than that??...