IGNORED

Diesel Motorcycle ?

Moped

Maybe. I just read that Volkswagan just bought one fifth of Suzuki for 2.5 Billion. (A bike for real hill climbing)

My son (a mechanical engineer) and I have talked about this. I think it would be awesome on a cruiser style bike. My feeble brain has no idea what it would take to put one together, but if we could do it, it would sure be unique. Wonder if you could wedge a VW TDI into a bike frame somehow?

My son (a mechanical engineer) and I have talked about this. I think it would be awesome on a cruiser style bike. My feeble brain has no idea what it would take to put one together, but if we could do it, it would sure be unique. Wonder if you could wedge a VW TDI into a bike frame somehow?

WHY?

No really why? Diesel is more expensive that gas, it stinks and it is dirty. So what bang do you get for your buck? Different ain't enough.

WHY?

No really why? Diesel is more expensive that gas, it stinks and it is dirty. So what bang do you get for your buck? Different ain't enough.

For the fuel mileage increase and extra torque.

A company converts a Kawasaki KLR650 to diesel and it gets 96mpg, but currently, it's only available to the military.

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/features/Articles/diesel_bikes.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

The other thing to consider is the military uses Diesel almost exclusively. When "they" no longer allow us to have gasoline, you can cruise along in your 100-mile-range battery powered go-cart with your knees up against your chest, or steal a little fuel from the local military vehicle for your diesel powered motorcycle and really go places... :innocent:

WHY?

Diesels are much more efficient! There have been many technological advancements made in recent years that make both diesel and ethanol burning engines much more efficient, powerful and cleaner burning than gasoline engines. But because of most peoples ignorance, it's real tough to convince most people of that. Most people tend to simply go with hear-say than do the proper research on a lot of subjects.

Diesels are much more efficient! There have been many technological advancements made in recent years that make both diesel and ethanol burning engines much more efficient, powerful and cleaner burning than gasoline engines. But because of most peoples ignorance, it's real tough to convince most people of that. Most people tend to simply go with hear-say than do the proper research on a lot of subjects.

there are actually 2-stroke engines designs out there now that will meet EPA standards, but because of the general belief that 2-strokes are dirty no one will invest in them.

Ya, technology in engines has made leaps and bounds in the past few years or so. I see a new type of 2-stroke using the "Atkinson cycle", as opposed to the more commonly known "Otto Cycle", can produce up to a 60% efficiency these days. WOW!

Gasoline engines can't get any higher than 25-30% efficiency without using supercharger or turbos, etc., while diesel and ethanol burning engines are up around 40-45% efficiency w/out turbos and superchargers, and can burn just as clean if not cleaner.

WHY?

The Diesel engine I am looking into gets 60 miles to the gallon... In a car that weighs what? A thousand pounds?

What would that same engine get in a five-eight hundred pound Trike with allot less wind resistance?

A year or two ago I saw an article on the fastest pickup truck in the world. It was a Dodge 1500 with a 6 cyl diesel. It went over 200 mph. They figured there was a lot more power available. I think diesels are just beginning to come into their own.

A year or two ago I saw an article on the fastest pickup truck in the world. It was a Dodge 1500 with a 6 cyl diesel. It went over 200 mph. They figured there was a lot more power available. I think diesels are just beginning to come into their own.

It was a Banks Truck. A Dodge Dakota with a cummins in it. They drove it to the salt flats, raced it, and drove it back while pulling a trailer to and fro.

http://www.bankspower.com/projects/show/3-Sidewinder-Dakota

It was a Banks Truck. A Dodge Dakota with a cummins in it. They drove it to the salt flats, raced it, and drove it back while pulling a trailer to and fro.

http://www.bankspower.com/projects/show/3-Sidewinder-Dakota

If I remember correctly, they took it to "Pinks" pulling a trailer with an S10 Rat on it and got like 28mpg while doing so.

Ended up racing the Dakota and winning... against a V8 powered S10 on the hose.:crackup:

I see a new type of 2-stroke using the "Atkinson cycle", as opposed to the more commonly known "Otto Cycle", can produce up to a 60% efficiency these days. WOW!

Could you provide a link to this 2-stroke Atkinson cycle design please? I looked and couldn't find it. I know Oak Ridge is experimenting with Atkinson cycle engines.

Thanks

RandyR

On the bottle Aka ( nitrous ). :superman:

Okay, thanks. I should've known that. That is impressive. It just goes to show just how much better things can get when the proper time, money, and research goes into them. Unfortunately much of what most of us understand about diesels, ethanol, and hybrids is based on old outdated technology.

BigBoyinMS... I've seen that one before. That's the picture I got in my head when I seen this thread. I wonder how well that idea would work for a 2-wheel drive bike. Or even an 3-wheel drive trike or hack. I know somewhere there are 2-wheel dirt-bikes, but they are shaft/chain driven. If i remember right anyway. I'm gonna have to go look those up again to refresh my memory.