IGNORED

computer help!!!!!!!

hairman

My other computer shut down and now when you try to turn it on it just says beeps and says Alert! previous shut down due to thermal event. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. If you do F1 it shuts it back off. If you hit F2 it takes you to some wierd screen that tells about the computer. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?????

Step 1. pull the hard drive out.

Step 2. throw away/recycle the dead carcass.

Step 3. dust off the credit card and by a new pc.

Step 3. get help extracting the old data or slaving the old hard drive.

Sounds like your pc is over heating...I can only assume the cost of repairing or replacing the motherboard/cpu will be close to that of just buying a new box.

Usually if you count those 'beeps' as the pc is first turned on will clue you into the problem. Of course you'll need the motherboard manual or access to the internet to search for the makers website.

Sorry for the bad new.

:bawling:

The thermal event was possibly due to the CPU overheating.

I take mine apart about once a year and clean the dust out from inside. Especially around the CPU heat sink and fan.

You would be amazed at how much dust a PC will suck in, this is the worst on units that sit on the floor.

As far as how to clear error, I am in the dark. It probably depends on the BIOS the machine has.

:smash2:

Gary

Take the left hand case side off.

Turn on the PC. See if the fan is spinning on the CPU.

If not, turn it off.

A replacement fan is about $12-$16

A replacement CPU Cooler (fan and aluminum/copper block) is about $25-$55

Takes a flathead screwdriver, patience, and 20 minutes to replace.

It only beeped once and I have a Dell computer. This morning when I turned it on it didn't beep at all and now it is working????????? I never have heard the fan running a lot since I bought it new. You usually only hear it when it gets dusty back there and I have to clean it.

It only beeped once and I have a Dell computer. This morning when I turned it on it didn't beep at all and now it is working????????? I never have heard the fan running a lot since I bought it new. You usually only hear it when it gets dusty back there and I have to clean it.

The CPU fan will run full time to keep that puppy cool, just continue to keep a clean case and that sort of problem should stay away as long as there is no underlying problem...

Not all CPU's will have a fan ... many will only be cooled by a large heat sink. If the heat sink is clogged with dust, it won't be as efficient and cause the CPU to overheat.

All systems will have a fan in the power supply. That fan is oftentimes very quiet so you have to look at it to see if it's spinning...hold a kleenex near the back and see if air movement is coming out.

When you shut the PC down and let it cool off, then it allowed itself to boot normally. The system probably has a built-in diagnostic for CPU heat and won't allow the PC to boot properly if it's too hot.

I've always wondered..... With all the techno smarts these designers have that they haven't pressurized the CPU. In other words, have the fan blow in with an easily cleanable filter and an exhaust port , instead of blowing out and sucking all the dust and cr@p into the box threw the cracks. I take a blower to the inside about once every six months and I'm amazed at the amount of dust one of these things collects.

If they did any optimizations that would keep the cpu's cool and no cpu's would over heat or cause any other system board issues, then how would they sell anyone new one's and for those who work on them, there would be no jobs.. ;o)

I've always wondered..... With all the techno smarts these designers have that they haven't pressurized the CPU. In other words, have the fan blow in with an easily cleanable filter and an exhaust port , instead of blowing out and sucking all the dust and cr@p into the box threw the cracks. I take a blower to the inside about once every six months and I'm amazed at the amount of dust one of these things collects.

A few years back when I was self-employed in the computer biz, one of my clients was a wood mfg shop that built pre-fab buildings. They had 5 PC's in the shop running various things .... talk about DIRTY and DUSTY!!!... yet those PC's never overheated.... go figgure.

If they did any optimizations that would keep the cpu's cool and no cpu's would over heat or cause any other system board issues, then how would they sell anyone new one's and for those who work on them, there would be no jobs.. ;o)

Aha!!! Planed obsolescences. Hadn't thought of that.... :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Now if we could just get these 1st gen riders to see.... :doh: :moon: :rotf::rotf:

What do you mean Planned obsolescence.

You fancy shmancy RSV's are still using our 27 year old cassette deck?

What you got to say about that ?

Huh

Gary

:rotfl: :stickpoke: :stirthepot: :think: :bang head: :no-no-no: :buttkick::witch_brew: :clap2: :backinmyday: :confused24: :confused07: