IGNORED

So much for efficiency

Flyinfool

The city just changed thousands of traffic signals to nice energy efficient LEDs.

Now that we have had our first real snow of the season, it was determined that the nice efficient LEDs run so very nice and cool that they can not melt the snow and ice off of the lens. So now there are nice "efficient" diesel trucks and crews running around with ice scrapers attached to long poles to scrape all of the snow and ice off of the thousands of traffic lights. There have been several accidents already because the traffic lights can NOT be seen.

I wonder if they are saving enough on electricity and longer bulb life to pay for the trucks and crews to be running around cleaning the lights?????

WOW, I could go into buisness for myself??????????? :thumbsup2: I could get a pick-up and tank in back with a sprayer. Have my boy spray / wash the lights.

Let me see what to charge,,,what to charge? Lets see if I understand the way these contracts work? If I would bill them $5 a light they would just do it them selves so, since it is a gobernment contract, charge $50 to $75 per light and get the contract and live high on the hog for a while.. :mo money: :sign woo hoo: Or untill someone charges $100 and takes the contract away.. :bawling:

Thanks!!

Bryan

You just can't beat the government, any government, for idiocy. Our government rushed to sign into law that there would be no more incandescent light bulbs, they would all be fluorescent. They have just realized, too late, that fluorescent bulbs contain mercury which is poisonous. Soon our land fills will be filled with mercury.

You just can't beat the government, any government, for idiocy. Our government rushed to sign into law that there would be no more incandescent light bulbs, they would all be fluorescent. They have just realized, too late, that fluorescent bulbs contain mercury which is poisonous. Soon our land fills will be filled with mercury.

I thought the USA had done the same. Reading the WikiPedia article (hey, must be true then), I see they didn't specify a replacement, just that incandescent use must be discontinued in a phased approach. I too was worried about the mercury in CFLs, but it appears our leaders are allowing LEDs or other technologies, as long as they reduce energy consumption. LEDs would be a fine choice in the home, since it doesn't snow very often. :)

Dave

Just watched the local news and they said that Madison had the same problems. In fact, this morning I stopped at the stop light near my place (we have two) and was watching the lights going the other direction (90 deg) to see when they turned yellow and noticed that the red light was covered with snow. When it did finally change from green to yellow to red, you/they could NOT see the red light.

That would be a big heads up knowing that the people coming from the other direction would NOT see the red light.

Steve

they will have a meeting and determine that they can install heating elements like we have on our back windshields of our cars. cost to taxpayers about 1.5 million. cost to go back to old style lights about 200 grand. there will be ambulance chasers watching for that big possible law suit. when some poor sap gets t boned because the other driver thought he had the green light.

WOW, I could go into buisness for myself??????????? :thumbsup2: I could get a pick-up and tank in back with a sprayer. Have my boy spray / wash the lights.

Let me see what to charge,,,what to charge? Lets see if I understand the way these contracts work? If I would bill them $5 a light they would just do it them selves so, since it is a gobernment contract, charge $50 to $75 per light and get the contract and live high on the hog for a while.. :mo money: :sign woo hoo: Or untill someone charges $100 and takes the contract away.. :bawling:

Thanks!!

Bryan

Almost; you determine you can do it for $5/light and then they would come back and say that that does not meet minimum (government) wage standards and you need to charge at least $50 :bang head::bang head::bang head:

I wonder if they are saving enough on electricity and longer bulb life to pay for the trucks and crews to be running around cleaning the lights?????

:backinmyday:Not to worry, they can use all that extra money in the POT HOLE budget:whistling:, now that they're all filled in with the same stuff that covered the lights.:stirthepot::stickpoke:

Later, Scooter Bob