IGNORED

Some Venture Royale questions for you

Just bought an 88 VR and see some things I have questions about.

A while back, I asked about rev limiters on first gens and seemed none had them like the 2nd gen do.

Well, I was looking at the 1st gen (86-93) service manual and saw something electronic that said it's putpose was to limit engine revs. Can't remember what part it was and don't have that with me. So, do 88s have a rev limiter?

Also, (looking at photos because I haven't picked the bike up yet) I see what looks like a lumbar adjustment cable for the passenger backrest. Is that what that cable does? Looks like it is managed from a lever on the right side near the passenger's grab rail.

One more question from a photo: I see a black, kinda round, notched, 3 or 4 position knob with a red arrow over it on the left side in front of the fuel pump. But I can't read what is written on the knob. Is that a fuel tank reserve valve or something or do these bikes just have a low fuel warning light that tells you it's on reserve?

Thanks for any info.

I could find out Monday when I go get the bike, but I am just too curious (and bored at work) tonight.

Rusty

Rev limiter, cant answer that one I have an 83 and it doesnt have one, and I dont think the later ones do either, but not positive, I know some guys really run the RPM's up to redline and above so I doubt it has one......

The passenger backrest does have an adjustment to incline or recline it by that lever you saw...........

That 4 position knob is for ride control for you rear shock, from firm to soft.

No warning lite for reserve but a pretty accurate fuel indicator that is computer operated on the dash with all the other warning lights.

Hope this help.

Congratulations, you just joined the best web site on the net........but a word of warning, IT IS ADDICTING, just ask anyone!!!!!

Just bought an 88 VR and see some things I have questions about.

A while back, I asked about rev limiters on first gens and seemed none had them like the 2nd gen do.

Well, I was looking at the 1st gen (86-93) service manual and saw something electronic that said it's putpose was to limit engine revs. Can't remember what part it was and don't have that with me. So, do 88s have a rev limiter?

Also, (looking at photos because I haven't picked the bike up yet) I see what looks like a lumbar adjustment cable for the passenger backrest. Is that what that cable does? Looks like it is managed from a lever on the right side near the passenger's grab rail.

One more question from a photo: I see a black, kinda round, notched, 3 or 4 position knob with a red arrow over it on the left side in front of the fuel pump. But I can't read what is written on the knob. Is that a fuel tank reserve valve or something or do these bikes just have a low fuel warning light that tells you it's on reserve?

Thanks for any info.

I could find out Monday when I go get the bike, but I am just too curious (and bored at work) tonight.

Rusty

Edited by DragonRider

Congratulations, you just joined the best web site on the net........but a word of warning, IT IS ADDICTING, just ask anyone!!!!!

Oh, I've been on here a couple or three years. Just did the GA/SC M&E and met some folks. Had a blast!

And since I joined, I've asked my share of questions of you guys. Most answered to the tune of saving me some money by taking that forum info and doing things myself. Knowledge shared is real power.

I agree, in my 40 years of riding and wrenching, this is the best forum!

Thanks a million for the answers to my questions today.

Can't wait to do the next M&E on the 88.

Edited by Beau-Kat

Seems like I recall something in the parts fiche about a rev limiter but it points at the pick up coils if I recall correctly. No rev limiter that I know of.

Your fuel tank does have a reserve - it's on the right side behind the passenger foot rest.

It's got a fuel gauge, and if it's like mine it'll show empty long before you need to switch to RES. That warning light always annoys me into fueling when there's still a gallon and a half left.

Looks like it is managed from a lever on the right side near the passenger's grab rail.

That lever's sole purpose is for the passenger to apply the brakes when they feel the driver is going too fast ....

(at least that's what I told her!) :rotf: :rotf:

Rusty, I have an '86 and thought hard about buying that one you got. Treat it well and it will treat you well. Have a safe trip to pick it up.

Your bike will have a fuel warning light, seems pretty accurate, comes in with maybe a little over a gallon left, and I think that is about right, you want to be warned with enough left to get somewhere. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

My fuel shut-off/reserve is frozen (luckily in reserve), and I hear that is fairly common. Check yours when you get it. I haven't tried to force mine, since it really isn't a problem.

Good purchase :happy65:on that bike.

Just curious....I've always heard that our engine is a detuned V- Max...If there are no rev limiters then how is the motor detuned???

Dont quote me but the cams are a bit milder in the 1st gen and the valves are bit smaller if I'm not mistaken. There is no Vboost on the Venture either, and I run my '89 past the 8K redline regularly and the engine is running out of steam at thast point with our cams.

Rev limiter is a product of the cams and the weaker valve springs, Venture has a smaller profile and valves, VMax quite the opposite plus the VBoost, you can run them up to about 9500 or higher for VERY short bursts. I know I've run my 84 up to 8500 under load a couple of times, but you don't want to do that by missing a shift! No load high R's are a lot different then high revs under load. Just think about all those poor bearings and chains floating around in there with no load on them!

Just curious....I've always heard that our engine is a detuned V- Max...If there are no rev limiters then how is the motor detuned???

Actually I believe it's just the opposite. I believe the V-Max is a tuned Venture engine since the Venture was around for 2 years before the V-max.

Dick :farmer: