IGNORED

Need seat help

I purchased a leftover 2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe this summer, and love the bike. The Stock seat only lasted a couple of weeks as it was not comfortable for me or my wife.

So we decided to try the Mustang seat, better than the stocker but no perfect by any means. I could go 75 miles without any pain, and my wife only about 35 miles. I have a airhawk seat pad she uses on the rear seat and that extends her riding to around 50-60 miles without stopping.

After a few months of this setup, I decided to send the seat to Rick Butler for his seat mod on the Mustang seat. At first it seemed better, the wife can go 40-45 miles on this seat without the Airhawk pad, me I can go around 80 miles and my rear starts to hurt. I mean pain not numb rear.

So to my questions my other choices are the Corbin, Ultimate seat, or try to find a used seat of a Venture and modify the brackets to work.

Who has tried any of the above and what are your impressions??

Can anyone compare any of the above to the Mustang?

Does anyone have any pics of the RSTD with the Venture seat on it?? And how is it working out??

Thanks in advance for your help and have a great day. Morgan.

I currently own a Venture and the Ultimate seat is not available (yet)...but I had the Ultimate seat on my last Valkyrie. It was the BEST SEAT EVER..IMHO. I rode my bike from FLorida to Laconia and never had any pain or numbness to my butt. I think you will love it, a bit pricey but well worth every penny.

:322:

Artie

That seat is a mustang seat which was sold here... We did a 600 mile ride up to Door county in Wisconsin and there was NO PAIN or no nasty screaching from the back of the bike...hee hee

She said it was like riding on air....Got to keep MAMA happy:bluesbrother:

Obviously it was more comfortable than the Mustang, but how did your wife like the mustang and yourself?? How far could you guys ride on the mustang?? Just trying to get an idea on the differnce. How is the seating postion compared to the Mustang, closer or farther from the bars??

Just one more question, do you have any pics of your bike with the venture seat on it?

Thanks for all your help.

I'll second the recommendation for the Venture pillow-top seat.

When my wife and I met, all I had for the street was sportbikes, which were not comfortable at all for her as a passenger. So, I sold those and we bought a V-Strom, hoping to tour on it. That stock seat caused butt-burn for both of us in about 45 minutes. So we put on a Sargent seat, which was great for me, but only allowed about 120 mile days for her before becoming very uncomfortable, with a few breaks needed. We then tried sheepskin, beads, memory foam, and a Butt Buffer, individually and in combinations. The best was the Butt Buffer, followed by the sheepskin (by themselves), which allowed her to go about 150 miles before she was done for the day. Since most of our riding friends liked to do 250 - 400 mile days, we ended up having to trailer the highway part and meet them in the mountains. That became tedious kind of quickly.

After a few years, we threw in the towel and we went bike shopping, again. We tried all of the touring bikes we could think of, including Goldwings, Harley Ultras, Classics, and Road Kings, Ventures, an RSTD, and a slew of others. She said the Venture (with the pillow-top seat) was the most comfortable, by far. We liked the RSTD, but not its seats. When we asked the salesperson at the dealership if there was a way to bolt the Venture's pillow-top seat to it, and he said they were different and there was no way. I guess salespeople don't read every motorcycle forum on the internet. :)

One of the Ventures we test rode had an aftermarket seat. I think it was by Diamond, but I'm not sure. It had a snakeskin-like pattern to it. It was quite firm. I liked it, but she was so miserable on it that we turned around after 2 miles and didn't finish the ride.

On our Venture, with the stock pillow-top seat, she's so comfortable that she's fallen asleep a few times. From other posts here, it seems that is quite common. After 200 miles, we're ready for another 200. For us, it's the most comfortable motorcycle seat either of us has ever experienced.

Of course, every person's rear end is different, and there are a few folks who don't like the Venture's pillow top seat. However, it seems the Rick Butler mod fixes it for most of those folks, making the the percentage of people who like it very high. I'd highly recommend trying one.

I have had two Corbin dual tour seats in the recent past, one was for a Suzuki M50 and the other for my Harley Dyna Lowrider which I just sold and bought a 2007 RSTD. The Tour Deluxe has the Ultimate seat and it is very comfortable for me...but my wife said it sucks and she want a corbin. So, I guess I will get my third Corbin.

The Corbin was nice, it is a little stiff and to be honest, I like my current seat. Before I buy the Corbin I was going to try and find another passinger seat for her to try. I was wondering if you can purchase just the passenger seat from Mustang or does anyone have one to sell or know where I could go to get one?

Mark

Edited by starkruzen

I've noticed that my seat is different from most other RSV's. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the seat Corbin sells for the RSV, but it has Yamaha tags on it. So I'm assuming it's a Yamaha upgrade put on by the dealer when it was new. Is it possible that Yamaha sold a dealer installed Corbin seat? I can say that it's very firm, but I've never had problems with discomfort on a ride.

Well, I was going to import a photo, but I can't seem to. I think the image is too big, so I'll see if I can't make it smaller and put in in another message. Maybe my description is good enough to someone to tell me if my assumption is correct.

I find seat discussions fascinating. I'm thinking it must be the most personal motorcycle setup decision ever, more so than even handlebar setup.

If you asked me what seat to buy, I would say the stock seat with the Rick Butler mod. I have gone 1000 miles in a day with it. I've gone 150 miles between stops many many times. My wife goes 100 miles before squirming on it, although she does appreciate the sheepskin on longer trips.

And yet the stock seat with the Butler mod is an abject failure for you.

From this, I conclude that there won't be much sense in my asking other people for ideas on seats. Their butt is different than mine.

I feel blessed that the stock seat and handlebars work so well for me.

Dave

I have had two Corbin dual tour seats in the recent past, one was for a Suzuki M50 and the other for my Harley Dyna Lowrider which I just sold and bought a 2007 RSTD. The Tour Deluxe has the Ultimate seat and it is very comfortable for me...but my wife said it sucks and she want a corbin. So, I guess I will get my third Corbin.

The Corbin was nice, it is a little stiff and to be honest, I like my current seat. Before I buy the Corbin I was going to try and find another passinger seat for her to try. I was wondering if you can purchase just the passenger seat from Mustang or does anyone have one to sell or know where I could go to get one?

Mark

You'd have to find out if a mustang rear will match up to a ultimate operators seat.

I know you can match up a factory seat with a mustang seat and a comfort cruise (yamaha) with a factory seat. I had a mustang front matched with a factory rear and a comfort cruise front and factory rear.

The comfort cruise is a firm seat like the corbin.

Something to consider, I've sat on new RSV seats and one with about 25k miles on it and there was a huge difference to me. I think yamaha's foam breaks down very quickly and to me has no support. For those with a lower ground pressure it may not be a factor. If you guys like a firm seat, I would try the corbin its alittle more firmer than the mustang.

For me personally, I doesn't matter. After 200 miles my rear end is not comfortable not matter kind I of seat I have. I've tried to ride 2300 miles and I've figured out about two tanks of gas is about as far from home as I'll go. Others can ride all day...my hats off to em.

I've noticed that my seat is different from most other RSV's. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the seat Corbin sells for the RSV, but it has Yamaha tags on it. So I'm assuming it's a Yamaha upgrade put on by the dealer when it was new. Is it possible that Yamaha sold a dealer installed Corbin seat? I can say that it's very firm, but I've never had problems with discomfort on a ride.

Well, I was going to import a photo, but I can't seem to. I think the image is too big, so I'll see if I can't make it smaller and put in in another message. Maybe my description is good enough to someone to tell me if my assumption is correct.

OK, I think this will link to my photos in Picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dnett57/2001YamahaRoyalStarVenture?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPNqK7cw8eO3gE#5398546919207826946

Hope this works cause I still can't figure out how to import photos in directly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dnett57/2001YamahaRoyalStarVenture?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPNqK7cw8eO3gE#5398546919207826946

I've noticed that my seat is different from most other RSV's. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the seat Corbin sells for the RSV, but it has Yamaha tags on it. So I'm assuming it's a Yamaha upgrade put on by the dealer when it was new. Is it possible that Yamaha sold a dealer installed Corbin seat?

I know there is a Yamaha upgrade seat for mine and I was told it was made by Corbin so YES

Howdy,

Anybody happen to know whether the Bakup backrest is compatible with the Corbin-made-but-Yamaha-branded Comfort Cruise Solo and Tour rider/passenger combination? I use the Bakup now with the OEM saddle and love it..but am not really happy with the stock saddles themselves.

Thanks!

Howdy,

Anybody happen to know whether the Bakup backrest is compatible with the Corbin-made-but-Yamaha-branded Comfort Cruise Solo and Tour rider/passenger combination? I use the Bakup now with the OEM saddle and love it..but am not really happy with the stock saddles themselves.

Thanks!

Not sure about the back up, but the Utopia backrest will work with the comfort cruise and the stock seat. I have it on mine.

Howdy,

Thanks!

Sorry, just looked at your picture....it works with the stock seat, I don't see why it wouldn't with the comfort cruise. I didn't have any issues with mine with the utopia.

It took about 1500 miles of break-in before my Mustang Seat was comfortable. I have an 05 RSTD and could not ride more than 50 miles on the stock seat. How many miles did you put on your Mustang. My wife still uses a Gel pad on top of the Mustang on the rear. I think it is more the design of the bike that puts all your weight on your tailbone.

• 2 months later...

If I can revive this Thread..

I am looking at a Mustang seat for my 07 RSTD.. mostly because I want a passenger backrest and this one might be a good deal.. (used).

But my concern is.. I am 5'7 w/ 29" inseam and I have found most Mustang seats (on other bikes) are very wide at the front making it harder to reach the ground flatfooted.

Can anyone with a Mustang on a RSTD comment on this?

I currently have a Corbin on my Honda Shadow 750 and am fairly comfortable with it even though they tend to be a firm seat. Have never ridden on a Mustang seat.

The Utopia backrest I hear about appears very Large for my small frame... and the Bak-up backrests are very expensive for just a backrest..

Thanks

If I can revive this Thread..

I am looking at a Mustang seat for my 07 RSTD.. mostly because I want a passenger backrest and this one might be a good deal.. (used).

But my concern is.. I am 5'7 w/ 29" inseam and I have found most Mustang seats (on other bikes) are very wide at the front making it harder to reach the ground flatfooted.

Can anyone with a Mustang on a RSTD comment on this?

I currently have a Corbin on my Honda Shadow 750 and am fairly comfortable with it even though they tend to be a firm seat. Have never ridden on a Mustang seat.

The Utopia backrest I hear about appears very Large for my small frame... and the Bak-up backrests are very expensive for just a backrest..

Thanks

I'm 6'1 and I found it to be wider in the front more so than the stock seat. To me it was to shallow from front to back, but it will move you alittle closer to the handlebars. Their backrests are very comfortable.