IGNORED

Best GPS for the money?

Goofeychuck

I doubt this will halp as you are going to get so many responses.ALL are not perfect but the Garmin Zumo FOR A MC is about as good as you can get.Ive had mine 1.5 years and no problems. Now tha being said others have had some problems and others are going to disagree BUT do as I did and read ALL reviews and Garmin overall comes out ahead. Let the fun begin.....

Like Tom said above I too read all of the reviews then went shopping. In the end I chose the Garmin 255W. It was $167 at Sam's Club. The reviews said it was good in bright sunlight but I have found that it is OK, but not great. The software is fine and finds the route you want but is not super flexible. It has a lot of neat features and served us well finding our way, finding food, gas, and points of interest during our vacation trip this year. It did a great job all around the south and was a great friend as we travelled the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. Interestingly it lost its' bearings on the Parkway and clocked us at a top speed of 243 MPH! :smile5:I was very proud! It is not weatherproof so I keep mine in a plastic bag if I even think it will rain. We were in a massive downpour in central North Carolina and it lost satellite reception, but to be honest I was giving up, too. Plus, with its' internal battery it will work up to 4 hours without being plugged in, so you can stow it away and pull it out as needed. I am fine with the display versus spoken directions so this one suits me fine. I keep the volume off even when I'm in the cage. If the voice is important to you look for one with bluetooth capabilities so you can hear the directions. The 255W does not support that. I felt that this one was the best buy for the money... You can get better units, but I can buy four of these plus a really nice dinner for what those cost. It all depends on what you want. If you look for one of the 255W's shop around... I saw it "on sale" at one of the truck stops for $229, regular $279. Check out Sam's first...

Chuck,

This is the unit I have: http://www.supremecamera.com/product.asp?id=16913

Cheaper now than when I bought mine. This unit has an fm transmitter if you don't want to use a cable to connect to your stereo. Also has bluetooth, so if your cell phone is capable you can receive calls through the GPS and talk through your headset (with a cable you can buy from one of our members, Rick Butler). Cool stuff!

I have owned 2 previous GPS units, neither of which was a Garmin. I chose to get a Garmin this time due to several factors: ease of updating maps, the ability to plan routes on your computer and then download them to the GPS, easy to install more POI's, etc.

I have found that I can get about 5 hours when running on the battery! Superb! This unit also has the best satellite sensitivity of any unit I have owned. AND the best internal antenna. With my other 2 units I could not find a satellite when in my house. The 780 give me 4-5 bars strength even in my house. I'm amazed.

Like the 255, this unit is not waterproof. My last unit was....and it never got wet. I carry a baggie for this one in case my luck changes. :)

Good luck!

My wife bought me the Tom Tom Rider 2 last Christmas. It seemed like a good unit but it has no hard wired audio output so I couldn't tie it into the RSV sound system. It is bluetooth out only and unless you want to buy some more gadgets to connect it via bluetooth, you won't be able to hear it through your headsets. I ended up taking it back and getting the Garmin Zumo 550 and have been very pleased with it.

I have the Garmin StreetPilot 2730 with integrated XM. Hooks into the bike audio system AUX connection and provides spoken directions as well as MP3 and XM (with Traffic and Weather). Touch screen and easy to access buttons for gloved fingers. I really like this unit. Have had it for 3 years. Downside: No internal battery. This unit must be plugged in at all times.

Ken

I guess the best way is by process of elimination. First, I think Garmin is the best and the leader in GPS units. What would be the primary use? So lets start a list and pick/choose which ones you think he will need/enjoy. Here are some of the options, not all units provide all options:

1) play mp3 music files

2) receive XM radio (need a subscription)

3) receive live traffic reports (may need a subscription) so it can guide around traffic delays

4) cell phone bluetooth capable

5) picture viewer, displays digital pictures

6) plays audio books

7) voice prompts turns "turn left in 500 feet"

8) voice prompts using street names "turn left in 500 feet on Main street"

9) waterproof *

10) portable battery operated * (varies from 0 - 20hrs)

11) can be used on water for marine navigation

12) can be used while hiking/backpacking

13) touch screen display

14) some have motorcycle mounts *

15) Route planning/track log, (load your own routes, on a motorcycle we don't always want the fastest/shortest sometimes we want the prettiest and the twistiest & keep a log of where you have been) *

16) Price range from $200 to a little over $1,000.

My wife bought me the Tom Tom Rider 2 last Christmas. It seemed like a good unit but it has no hard wired audio output so I couldn't tie it into the RSV sound system. It is bluetooth out only and unless you want to buy some more gadgets to connect it via bluetooth, you won't be able to hear it through your headsets. I ended up taking it back and getting the Garmin Zumo 550 and have been very pleased with it.

That is after you can manage to turn it on.

Brad

You have to shop for the features you want in a GPS!!!!! There are LOTS of different features available.

I wanted an MP3 Player and a SDHC or MicroSDHC card slot, so I bought a Garmin nüvi® 765T at Costco for IIRC $245......

I wanted a Zumo 660, but the price was WAY to high for me....

Whatever you get, you should mount it with a RAM mount. They are the bees knees!!!!!!