Any body ever mounted a Venture engine on one of those engine stands?? I've used them for big V8's before so I know the stand will handle the weight. What I'm wondering is will the V4 mounting holes withstand the torque??? Just looking for info from someone who's been there... Thanks..

I'm also on the hunt for an engine hoist. I'm getting too old to be lifting heavy stuff any longer. I'm finding I need to call someone to help with the lifting more and more often....

I wouldn't mount it up to one side, I don't think the mount tabs would hold the weight. I've got 2 of them in the garage right now, (both of 'em got motors on them right now!). I'll measure the distance of the motor mounts on the V4 and how wide the mounts for the stand will go and see if they can match up, but you would need some stout rod or something to go across the motor.

Problem is, the motor would have to be sideways mounted.

I was thinking the same thing when I had mine out last year. Theres gotta be a way.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking but hoping I was wrong.... Sideways and aluminum might not be able to handle the stress?? Sure would be nice to be able to turn the thing over and work on the bottom without having to flip it on a bench... :(

I've been planning on pulling my motor this winter to change out the heads and maybe look into the 2nd gear fix.

I was playing with the idea of mounting it on an automotive engine stand myself. My idea was building a bracket that would bolt onto the engine stand with arms extending out with risers to hold the engine up above the arms. The arms would be far enough apart to be able to remove the oil pan and have clearance for the side covers. The rear of the engine would face the engine stand with enough room to access the output shaft.

That configuration would allow access to top. sides, rear and bottom. With the right height on the risers it should allow a good balance point to be able to rotate the motor on its axis.

Just my thoughts on it.

Now you're thinking..... but how would you split the cases?

BTW, why you up so early or so late?!!!!!!

Early.... Had someone in the area fire up his Nasty Boys and woke everybody up in a 3 mile radius.... Grrr!!! I was waiting...no hoping... I'd hear gun fire, but no such luck....

I think splitting the case is way more than I want to get involved in so it's not a big deal if I can't while on the stand. Actually if it comes to that I'd go motor shopping... That's what got me to thinkin in the first place. I just picked up a new2me '91 and plan on tricking the thing out with gaskets, seals, polished side and valve covers, and painted block. Thought it might be easier doing this stuff on a motor stand...

Did a quick Google search for "motorcycle engine stand" and they all seem to similar to this.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000_K&L_MC25_Metric_Engine_Stand_--.jpg

That looks neat!! Kinda pricy for what it is, but worth thinking about...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/65/4925/ITEM/K-L-MC25-Metric-Engine-Stand.aspx

Looks like it would be VERY easy to build. At the price of steel now days, don't know how cheap you could actually build it though.

I agree, not hard to build but cost of 1" sq tube is a killer.

It could easily be fab'ed up but how many would need or want one.

Back in the day, I took a Harley bent up frame and cut off all the tubes except for around the mounts and added legs. This held the engine up and steady to be able to work on it on the bench. Turning it over like on a car engine stand was a whole different animal.

I would be willing to try it with some guidance and financial backing. I am only familiar with the 2nd Gen so I have no need for the stand.

Bubber