IGNORED

CB on a 2008?

Pixguy

Hi,

I'm looking at a new '08 RSV at a local dealer. The sales person says that a CB does not come with the bike, but I have been under the impression that the RSVs came with a CB installed. Am I wrong on this? I did see that it has both an am/fm antenna and a CB antenna mounted.

I don't think the sales person misunderstood me. I specifically said "CB radio" and pointed out that there was a switch for the CB on the box above the clutch lever. She said the bikes were set up for the radio but it was not standard equipment. It could be she didn't know what she was talking about (not uncommon with sales people) or they had cannibalized the bike to repair another one. This would not necessarily be a deal breaker but a matter of negotiation. Can anyone tell me what the value or price on the CB is? It's not listed in the catalog.

Hmmm, what I would have to do is call another dealer's parts department and ask what it would cost to replace a CB. I'd be willing to bet that it would be darn close to $750.00 or so installed. Then again it is possible she just misunderstood me. Now, a headset I would have to buy, correct?

CB unit ONLY is $735.79, OEM. Used from Pinwall, if you can find them, go for around 300.

That does not include any other mounting that would be necessary.

IF there is any truth to this at all, where they would have taken one from the bike to repair another, the dealership probably shorted Yamaha on a warranty job; but who knows.

Bottom line, either find a new dealer or give another salesperson a try and see what happens.

If you want a definitive test, go back to the dealership, have them put the key in the bike, turn it to the ACC position and push the CB button on the radio control and see what happens... Maybe you'll surprise them :thumbsup2:

The sales person is probably just ignorant and has never read the book on a Venture. You wouldn't believe how many people are members who don't know a Venture has a clock :stickpoke::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

yeah... but it's a PITA to check it so I bought a small digital "stick-on" clock and stuck it on the dash...no fuss, no muss.

I'm one of them if you're doing a head count :think:

Push both the select and reset buttons till it turns to a clock... To go back push the select button.

To set,

push and hold select and reset for at least 2 sec. till the hour digit flashes set the hour with the reset button. Hit the select button for the min. digit and use the reset to set the min. digit. Press select to start the clock.

page 3-5 of the owners manual.

If it has a radio display it has CB. If no radio display, the dealer robbed it (probably to fix another bike). In that case, being an '08 its' under warranty.

Ask for a purchase price discount, take pictures and what not while on the dealers floor (make sure date stamped too). After purchase when it goes back to the mechanics for prep, make them order a new unit under warranty.

Turn on the key then then push the CB button. The orange light should come on and the display should show the channel or squelch. If it doesn't ask why they disabled the CB. Then take them to one of their pc's and pull up the starmotorcycles.com and show them the CB is standard equipment. Also look under the trunk. That black box under it that the antenna's are plugged into is the CB unit.