IGNORED

Stuck Bolt and out of ideas...

LilBeaver

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have drill bits, but don't have any taps.

Good to know. :happy34:

If the head is still intact and since you cut those slots I dont see where an impact driver would do any damage. I have used it many times on those soft bolts. I usually replace them with new hex head bolts. As a matter of fact, both tank bolts are now hex bolts.

You dont need to pound the impact tool into submission, just make sure the driver tip is sitting in the slot fully and true and a couple of firm whacks should do it. And yes, do take some pressure off the bolt by raising the tank slightly.

I tried with no luck... :( I ended up mangling the head even more... This is what I tried first when I cut the slots.

taps are relatively inexpensive at the hardware store, if you were going to use them alot i would invest in better but to cut a couple holes, or in this case one, they work just fine.

I'm going to take a gander tomorrow as to what is available around here (if I can find something good enough to get the job done then I'll go with that and call it good; if I cannot find something I may send Earl a PM.)

If all else fails, I've got an oxy/acetylene set-up you can borrow.........:doh:

Yea; I considered this too... With as much as I love taking bolts out that way, I think I'll give this whole drill and tap thing a chance first. But like you said, if all else fails... *insert smiley with torch*

The reverse drill bit worked for me. Busted a bolt and squidy told me to get a reverse bit. Soon as I started drilling the broken bolt backed itself out. Harbor freight or any tool store of that type has them. Bit cost me $4.00.

I guess if you don't mind, that'll work for me :)

I've drilled stuff out before, but never needed to use a tap...

What kind of tools should I bring?

We'll have drill bits, I have taps and if we need anything else, I'm sure the local hardware store will have it.

I have done this on car exhaust manifold bolts...

Use a small propane torch to heat the bolt until it is hot enough to melt candle wax. Put a candle on top of the bolt so the bolt liquefies some of the wax. The heat will pull the liquid wax down onto the threads of the bolt. Sometimes you can back the broken bolt out by hand.

I had a bolt that was stripped and I used a drill bit called Grabit and it came right out...heres the link you can get these at most hardware stores...

Thanks, I tried something similar to these (just a different brand) and it didn't work.

I have done this on car exhaust manifold bolts...

Use a small propane torch to heat the bolt until it is hot enough to melt candle wax. Put a candle on top of the bolt so the bolt liquefies some of the wax. The heat will pull the liquid wax down onto the threads of the bolt. Sometimes you can back the broken bolt out by hand.

Wow, now there is a neat idea. For this application though there is no way I'd be able to get it to work short of laying the bike down on its side... I'll definitely have to remember this though for future applications. :thumbsup2:

too all you would be fire fighters that wish to add heat/fire to this broken fuel tank mounting bolt that is surounded by plastic neck cover beside the plastic fairing, right near the fuel tank vent hose next to the fuel tank...............please don't offer any maint days that will bring others near to you fire axe.

mike.:confused07::starz::fireman:

too all you would be fire fighters that wish to add heat/fire to this broken fuel tank mounting bolt that is surounded by plastic neck cover beside the plastic fairing, right near the fuel tank vent hose next to the fuel tank...............please don't offer any maint days that will bring others near to you fire axe.

mike.:confused07::starz::fireman:

Haha - I'd hope that everyone knows we all are just kidding about applying heat to this puppy to get it out -- but good check (just in case) :thumbsup2:

Haha - I'd hope that everyone knows we all are just kidding about applying heat to this puppy to get it out -- but good check (just in case) :thumbsup2:

I was pretty sure you were kidding since we are looking to fix this in my garage. I don't guess there is any way to get a little pipe wrench on the bolt head is there? Also, I have to go to Amarillo on Thursday and there is a Harbor Freight there, I can pick up a tap. I just need to know what size.

I was pretty sure you were kidding since we are looking to fix this in my garage. I don't guess there is any way to get a little pipe wrench on the bolt head is there? Also, I have to go to Amarillo on Thursday and there is a Harbor Freight there, I can pick up a tap. I just need to know what size.

Yea - it is a 7-8 mm head that is round and flush up against the washer that is there. I couldn't get pliers or vice grips to hang on to it...

As for the tap - I presume Ponch will have the right size, and if not, I can just run out on Saturday to get the correct size. Thanks though!

Just wanted to close this one out - as too many times I get through a thread and see no concluding remarks in terms of a resolution or not.

What ended up working was:

Drilling a reasonably centered pilot hole with the smallest left handed drill bit I could find. Then I stepped up the size until Ponch took over and ground the head off, upped the size one last time and backed the screw/bolt right out.

As soon as I got home I replaced the remaining silly bolt on the other side with a regular hex-head bolt.

:thumbsup2:

Loc-Tite this time?

Heck no - I want to be able to get the bolt out in the future... There are a number of reasons to pull the tank.

WHAT?? no fire wrench??:nanner:

HAHA - Nope, not this time... Which is handy because the plastic parts around there are quite pricey! :mo money:

In my job I run into this quite often and one simple trick that works 9out 0f 10 times is to take a torx bit slightly larger than the allen hole in the bolt. touch up the end of it with a grinder to create sharpe edges then tap it into the end of the bolt. it will cut new groves as it goes down and then just turn the bolt out.

I also use this trick for broke bolts drill a hole in the center and drive in a torx bit . better than any easy out I have ever owned. Works best if you can file or grind the bottom flat but if not it still works well without grinding it.

Edited by saddlebum