IGNORED

Valve Adjustment

Well I was trying to avoid doing this myself but as my bike is a ltttle custom now I just dont want to let anyone just touch it. I was gonna let one fellow do it but he since disappeared. I assume he is afraid of scratching it. Im a good wrench myself so I guess its up to me. Not that I cant do it but I have never done it. First off what tools will I need and also what shims should I get. Id rather buy a kit because I have quite a few RSVs and RSTDs around so Im sure this will be the first but not the last. What gaskets will I need. Most of all where do I get it. I do plan a little phone time with Goose to get the procedure down but Im looking for parts and special tool help.

Scotty

I don't know how many miles you have on your bike, But the first thing I would do is check valve clearances. Unless you have a ton of miles, you probably don't need to change shims. And if you do, a tool is required. If you get shims, you need to get the tool to change them with.

I've got over 75k on my bike and have never needed to change shims. I did have a couple that were on the edge of needing changed a couple of years ago. I plan to do that this winter.

I'll dig a little, but I remember that Goose found shim kit that was at a fantastic price considering what was included.

Im assuming the only gaskets that would be needed would the the rocker box gaskets.

That deal was a mistake by the vendor. It is no longer there. Several of us took advantage of it though:smile5: - me included.

You may want to ask the service manager at the local Yamaha shop if they will swap shims with you if you need to change. Some will, some won't. You will need a special tool.

Good luck.

RR

look for a post by V7Goose. probably in the tech section.

The prices on the shim tool vary a lot. You can get one from 2 places for $38. Be carefull, there is one catalog out there listing the WRONG tool for our bikes. The deal Goose got on a shim kit was due to a catalog misprint, so expect to pay over $100 for the K&L kit of 25mm shims, if you can bear the wait, and since needing shims is an iffy thing anyway, getting only the ones you need from a local dealer will be lots cheaper.

You should have a valve cover gasket set, and a set of metric feeler gauges and a torque wrench.

See Goose's write up, complete with pictures, posted a couple month's ago. [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38545]Valve Adjustment - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Edited by RandyR

The valve cover gaskets are neoprene and as many times as I've done valve checks and adjustments on previous Yamahas and Kawasakis I've owned, (I have not checked the valves on my RSV yet) I've never replaced one and they have never leaked being reused.

Cheapest place I've found for shims is here.. www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=YPEN1B

I believe all Yamaha V4s use 25mm shims.