IGNORED

RSV will not turn over

undertaker

I have a 2000 RSV. It has been in the same spot all summer as I can not ride this year. I start it from time to time just to hit the air horns and hear the bike run. Now when I try to start it all I get is a tapping sound. The lights do not to dim and I am using a new bat. Everything works but the starter. I have no idea what to do. HELP

When I remove the left cover all I see is box with fuses in it,the carbheat sensor, and a couple wries that I have my air horns and the original horns tied to.

Edited by undertaker
Add more questions

My guess is that you have some corrosion on the start button that is not allowing good contact. The tapping sound you are hearing is likely the fuel pump.

Take apart the throttle side controls and see what the contacts look like. Take an Ohm meter to test for continuity of the button. While you have it apart, put some dielectric grease on all the contacts in there (that you can get to).

Hopefully, that is all this is. The other option is wiring to the key switch mechanism or the switch itself. Do a search for complete information on this in the 2nd Gen Tech Forum.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the family.

RR

Tapping sound could also be the starter relay pulling in, but not passing current through the contacts.

I see you just changed the battery, are the connections clean and tight? Check the connections on the other end of the big battery wires also.

Just a couple more thoughts, Scooter Bob

A new battery does not necessarily equate to a fully charged battery. It should have at least 12.5 volts when at rest. New batteries can have bad cells, check them with a hydrometer, all cells should be close to the same reading. If the lights are not dimming then it is quite possible the battery is OK but the connections to the starter solenoid/relay are not very good. The positive wires to the solenoid and to the starter are obvious ones to check but since the starter is grounded through the engine and frame, the connections from the frame to the neg on the battery should also be cleaned. Sitting unused all the electrical connections will corrode more than they might when being used regularly. There could be other causes for your problem but electrical connections would be the most likely and are the easiest to fix.

Agree that the battery is the first choice.

But if that isn't your problem, don't forget to check the start relay under the battery box. It can be seen by removing the left side cover.

I had the same problem and found the relay completely encased in corrosion. Had to replace the relay, relay/fuse holder, and the ends on some of the wireing.

Quite a mess.:bang head:

:2cents:

Sounds like a dead battery. If you have been starting it and not running it for long it takes a lot out of the battery and so a good way to confirm this is to jump from a good battery but dont have that vehicle running. If you think the cables are clean, clean them anyway.