IGNORED

Odd Clutch issues?

Went on a big ride today, what a blast but encountered a few issues with the clutch, not sure if it's 'just the way it is' or indicative of a larger problem..

I have the PCW heavy duty clutch installed, AMSOIL synthetic engine oil.. This problem started this week, perhaps 700 miles after the oil change..

When I started the bike this morning, sitting on the bike, first gear, kick stand up and clutch lever in, choke out, I flicked the start switch and the bike actually lurched forward an alarming amount.. not beyond the length of legs but wow, what a grab on the clutch it was.. and the clutch lever was fully pulled in.. How odd..

When the bike was then sitting there, in neutral and on kick stand, warming up, you can hear mechanical noise from the engine and when you pull the clutch lever in, the noise dissipates..

Is this due to perhaps the clutch fluid needing to be bled, as if I have air in the system or something funny like that? There is no slippage what so ever but feels like the clutch is ever so slightly engaged when the lever is pulled in or in neutral..

I have new braided steel lines coming in soon so the clutch system will be bled when the lines are installed, perhaps that's all there is about it?

Ideas?

You should really be starting the bike in neutral and not in gear with the clutch pulled in when it's cold. The oil drains off the plates and they'll stick together until the oil gets slung back onto the clutch discs. My bike jumps if I try and start it in gear in the morning. It does not do it once the engine is at operating temperature.

I would dump that bike with all the issues you have had or put a lot more gremlin bells on it :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Most likely you need to bleed/replace the fluid. :)

OI!! This bike doesn't have "issues"... it has "character" lol.. and no one has given me a gremlin bell yet, you can't just go buy one yourself, ya know.. you should know better than that!! :)

But it's most likely as flb_78 says.. and Yammer_Dan, I'll get it bled when the lines come in and see what happens then.. =)

thanks

Mine will stick once in a while after sitting for a long period. Before starting rock the bike back and forth in neutral a bit to loosen things up before pressing 'the' button.... I'd also think about bleeding the brake fluid if you haven't done so in a while....

40 or 50 wt Amsoil? Would be worse with the heavier oil but I don't find the behavior unusual; especially when the exterior temperature drops or if the bike has been sitting a few days. I would suggest its not a problem as long as it doesn't happen with the bike warmed up. A clutch bleed wouldn't be a bad idea. I have had the SS lines for over a month and haven't gotten around to getting them installed.

Ross