IGNORED

Does your cooling fan come on??

Sunday I was out for a ride with another couple, I was on my 06 Venture they were 2 up on a RSTD. It was sunny and 24 degrees Celsius. We rode for a good hour before stopping and when we did I could hear a noise coming from his bike. I asked him what the noise was and he said the cooling fan. It then occurred to me that I have never heard my fan come on and it got me wondering. So today I checked the fuse and it was ok, so I asked a Yamaha service manager and he told me that’s not unusual and that it takes a lot before the fan comes on.

I’m wondering what other 2nd gen riders experience with your bikes, do you hear your cooling fan kick in and what’s the temperature around the engine like when it does? Does it make a difference when you ride 2up? When you stop after a run is your fan running? Perhaps I should test my thermostat and temperature sensor?? :confused24:

Personally I wouldn't just let my bike sit at idle just to check the cooling fan. What if the fan is actually damaged and not working then you run the risk of overheating your engine.

My fan has not come on with this RSV, but on my first RSV I had it come on during a traffic jam several times. Believe me you will know when it comes on. You will be blasted by a 200 degree "breeze" for a minute or so. Very uncomfortable when sitting in traffic on a hot day sweating your backside off.

Hum-m, that’s interesting, thanks. I’ll pay more attention when I'm stop at a light or in traffic (and turn the radio down), perhaps even try the idle thing and see what happens. The dealer suggested putting a piece of cardboard in front of the rad and letting it run for a bit but I didn’t want to do that if the bike had a problem. Given what everyone is saying I feel better about trying that.

I think it says something about this site when a person has to check with his brothers and sisters over what someone else says.

Does this mean that on top of everything else that we have a “COOL” bike!

:cool10:

Sunday I was out for a ride with another couple, I was on my 06 Venture they were 2 up on a RSTD. It was sunny and 24 degrees Celsius. We rode for a good hour before stopping and when we did I could hear a noise coming from his bike. I asked him what the noise was and he said the cooling fan. It then occurred to me that I have never heard my fan come on and it got me wondering. So today I checked the fuse and it was ok, so I asked a Yamaha service manager and he told me that’s not unusual and that it takes a lot before the fan comes on.

I’m wondering what other 2nd gen riders experience with your bikes, do you hear your cooling fan kick in and what’s the temperature around the engine like when it does? Does it make a difference when you ride 2up? When you stop after a run is your fan running? Perhaps I should test my thermostat and temperature sensor?? :confused24:

I'VE BEEN RIDING AROUND SOUTHERN ONTARIO,ALSO INTO ETOBICOKE, HALF THE TIME 2 UP AND LIKE OTHER FOLKS HAVEN'T HEARD THE FAN COME ON YET!!

Now that you mention it I've never heard my fan come on either. I've only had this bike for a month but its been hot here. On my Shadow it would come on at every light and you couldn't miss it since it sent a hot blast of air up your body.

I've only heard my fan come on twice, both times at the same backed up four way stop, and in the Texas summer. I'll drag the rear brake and slip the clutch, while going very slowly toward my turn to go through the intersection. On hot days the fan will come on after about 2 minutes of that. It is very quiet.

I have a 02 and the cooling fan would come on in hot weather in traffic, some times on the free-way with high RPM or in the garage on a hot day syncing carbs . Then one summer on a hot day when I decided to sync the carbs I new it was hot and the fan should have kick on, but it never did. So I did some testing and found that the temperature switch in radiator (there is two of them) was faulty. I replace it and the fan started working again.

:sign20: The exact same thing happened to me this summer after riding up the steepest hill I ever rode up in Deadwood. It was about 105 Degrees, Got to the top and Chaos' fan was on and and mine was not. I too was curious, and was planning on checking when I got home. Actually was a bit concerned.

Anyway a day later we stopped at a light and my fan clicked on. This was the first time I ever heard it.

Brad

I'VE BEEN RIDING AROUND SOUTHERN ONTARIO,ALSO INTO ETOBICOKE, HALF THE TIME 2 UP AND LIKE OTHER FOLKS HAVEN'T HEARD THE FAN COME ON YET!!

Hi Ray, noticed your from Paris. I was riding there a few weeks back and noticed a 07 Black/blue in a Garage (in the new subdivision), as I drove by. One or two houses from 24. Could that be you ?

Anyway you have a lot of members close by, maybe we will see you sometime.

Brad

I have a 02 and the cooling fan would come on in hot weather in traffic, some times on the free-way with high RPM or in the garage on a hot day syncing carbs . Then one summer on a hot day when I decided to sync the carbs I new it was hot and the fan should have kick on, but it never did. So I did some testing and found that the temperature switch in radiator (there is two of them) was faulty. I replace it and the fan started working again.

Hum-m, I wonder how difficult it would be to install a temperature gauge?

• 1 year later...
Hum-m, that’s interesting, thanks. I’ll pay more attention when I'm stop at a light or in traffic (and turn the radio down), perhaps even try the idle thing and see what happens. The dealer suggested putting a piece of cardboard in front of the rad and letting it run for a bit but I didn’t want to do that if the bike had a problem. Given what everyone is saying I feel better about trying that.

I think it says something about this site when a person has to check with his brothers and sisters over what someone else says.

Does this mean that on top of everything else that we have a “COOL” bike!

:cool10:

That's the way to heat up the coolant in a car, as the fan runs all the time. Not so on the bike. It only comes on a a certain tempture. Sitting still on the bike would have the same effect on a car with the card board in front of the radiator.

Friday in the hill country of Kerrville Tx it was 99.9 degrees and a heat index of 110, my fan came on one time, when we stop to let 37 deer cross the road, other that it didn't come on the 4 days that we were their.

Why didn't someone tell me before that Texas has big hills (LOL), great riding around the Kerrville area, hwy 39,187, the three sisters etc, great rides, however I lost count on how many times we cross the Guadelaupe River. :301:

FWIW, most cars in the road today have electric cooling fans as well.

Thats true. It saves fuel. A fan draws ~15hp.

In the new vehicles putting card board over the radiator to make the engine get hot, wouldn't apply, as with cars that had the old conventional fans which ran all the time. You could disconnect the fan to get the same effect.

electric cooling fans on cars gain about 0.125 MPG, but cost more to build into a car.

Oi...off topic. :D Electric fans came about for MPG improvement but also due to the use of transverse mounted engines, which in turn came about due to the popularity of front wheel drive. A transverse mounted engine cannot run a fan off the front of it.

Due to the widespread use, what was an added cost to use electric fans is now no longer an added cost.

Sorry for the off topic reply. :)