IGNORED

Rear axle twisted apart

Stanman

While out for a ride yesterday, I thought I heard a rhythmic squeak at low speed once in a while. I was 50 miles from home so I decided to run it home. Everything seemed fine at highway speeds, so I wasn't overly concerned. I thought it was the splines in the drive hub dry so I ran it in the shop to grease it.

As I was removing the wheel I found it strange that the castle nut on the axle was barely finger tight. When I pulled the axle out I was very surprised as it was only 7 inches long with a nicely rounded end. The other end was still sticking out of the hub! I had to remove the final drive from the swing arm to get the wheel off the bike. Apparently the bearing was jamming at times and started rotating the end of the axle shaft. When I drove the axle out the inner race is still stuck on the shaft. Darn good thing the pinch bolt on the right side was tight so that end of the axle could not fall out. I don't even want to think of the concequences of something like that happening at highway speed.

Now it looks like I'm going to have a fun time getting the outer race removed from the wheel. The right hand bearing came out reasonably easy.

I just bought an axle from Pinwall Cycle and will have to order the bearings and seals from Yamaha Monday.

By the way the splines have plenty of grease on them.

I had that happen to me. I had to cut the brake caliper mount to get the axle out. I discovered the holes in the wheel, where the drive pins go, are open the the inside of the wheel.

If you wash the wheel when changing tires, as I had done, you will get water inside the wheel. The water will end up on the back side the the needle bearing.

Bad for the bearing.:95: