IGNORED

You do the right thing, and it bites you...

CdnDave77

Up until yesterday afternoon, I was the Operations Manager for a small high-tech auto parts manufacturer. We had certainly seen some tough times over the last 18 months, but I used the slower pace to coach/teach all the employees/supervisors/managers to function more as a team and be fairly self reliant. I had been told I was to assume a higher role in January, and wanted the Operations side of the business to look after itself while I focused on getting our Engineering & Sales back on track.

Well, apparently, the budget we had submitted to the parent corporation was unacceptable to them and they demanded more cuts. Since Operations was running smooth and the team could handle almost anything on their own, guess who was now redundant...

Anyways, my direct boss seemed quite legitimately upset by it... moreso than I was really. I certainly got a decent package (compared to the current environment), so I am ok for a few months.

But geez, you do exactly the right things, and look where it gets you...:doh:

I would strongly encourage you NOT to look at this incident as having been bitten for doing the right thing, since what you do and what you've done is all that matters, really. You get to move forward knowing you did not compromise or concede, but rather pushed to do what was in the best interest of everyone. Honestly, it doesn't get any better than that! I, for one, Congratulate you.

TERRY

Being a small business owner, to see on a resume' that you trained your subordinates to be self sufficient - effectively eliminating your role - would be a huge plus. Don't sugar coat this while looking for your next role. A manager that is more concerned about improving his workers than protecting his turf is highly sought after in any market.

Keep your head up, network, and find something better.

Good luck.

RR

Your company is the looser, not you. I just went through the same thing when Detroit Edison let me and 20 others go. I wont be working for them again, and will take my skills elsewhere...to the competition. One door closes and another opens, we just need to be mindful to look for opportunities wherever they come up. I can totally relate to what happened to you.

Your company is the looser, not you...

+1 to that. Something similar happend to my dad a few years ago. He was contracted to do a particular project in 3 year and was allowed ~10M dollars for the project. Well, long story 14 months and ~2.5M dollars later he had completely finished the project as well as going above and beyond in a few areas as he found would make the company (on a world-wide) scale run smoother in his particular field. Well, the company (Fiat, after they bought out Case, International Harvestor, New Holland and a few other subsideraries of CaseIH - which was part of the global initiative he was working on) decided that since he had fulfilled his contractual obligation the company no longer needed his position and did not need him for the next project that he laid the groundwork for since he had it all planned out anyways(which is how the company got out of the contract with him).

So, at any rate, you did what you felt what was right and have now been given the opportunity to find a new place that may appreciate your work and abilities better than your last.

Good luck friend!

Doing the right thing always helps ya sleep better at night.....and ya can't put a price on that. Your skills/reputation will get you a better job. Wait for the day for this Company who laid you off to call for you back.....and tell em to pound sand.

Boomer......who thinks 3 piece suit Executives should be used for guardrails at a Demolition Derby.:banana:

Something along the same line. I was forced into medical retirement. I thought I was something. Had turned down higher positions to remain a Sgt and a line officer at a Maxium Security Prison. Felt I did more good working with the "kids" coming in ( staff and convicts) Spent a long time doing this put 120 per cent into my job. Got the Good byes I expected from Officers I worked with. I like to feel I left my mark on a lot of them. I was never a yes man and ran things as I thought they should be staying within the rules as much as possible. Got a lot of "at a boy's" Thing is from the upper administration I never got a good bye, see ya later or anything. But I left my mark. Not many of the line officers in West Virginia's Maxium security Prison that don't have just a touch of SGT. Woods in them.

OK I'll quit whining for now!!! Could have at least got a %#%& Watch or Dinner or something!!!!

Didn't mean to change this in any way but doing right don't always win the ribbon. But I can look in the mirror when I shave.

No more Uniform I don't have to shave do I??

Man that's tough. I work at the managment level and know the difficulties of the current economic situation. However, doing the right thing is still the way to do it. You'll get a great reference and you'll leave the better for it. Besides, God knows what you've done!:080402gudl_prv:

Oh boy, what a bummer,, tough times for sure and it isn't getting any better for you right now. But you have good skills and a grand personality, and a wife that's working, right??? So you have some good things going for you, but not all those pay the bills.

As it is, I'll be moving sometime in November I hope, and plan to have lots of help to do this,,,, might need someone to motivate these folks properly,,,, maybe you could practise a little to keep your skills fine tuned.:think::whistling:

Thanks fellas...

Although it is still a little fresh, I am thinking this is going to be a good thing. I wasn't the happiest there anyways, but had been looking forward to doing more when I assumed the next position. Deep down, I would love to get out of automotive altogether, but all the other industry is slow too.

And Marcarl.. I was going to volunteer to burn a vacation day to offer a set of hands and a pickup truck on your moving day regardless. Now I don't even have to fill out any paperwork. And since I am going to have lots of time, I am available for pre-move general repairs/paint/etc if you need a hand.

If only working on old motorcycles could generate my former income... I'd be in heaven.

Thanks fellas...

And Marcarl.. I was going to volunteer to burn a vacation day to offer a set of hands and a pickup truck on your moving day regardless. Now I don't even have to fill out any paperwork. And since I am going to have lots of time, I am available for pre-move general repairs/paint/etc if you need a hand.

Wow, that's an offer I'll take up for sure. Marca wants to have a move-in condition to the house before we move. That means paint, cleaning, redo floors, and some work for the builder, maybe even new windows,,,, yep, lots to keep me out of trouble, and now you're offering to help????????? heck, we could become friends:thumbsup2::whistling:

If only working on old motorcycles could generate my former income... I'd be in heaven.

Now that's the plan for the shop that's behind the house,,,, think it will work????