nearby truck stop is the easiest and good selection of antenna's as well as hardware such as mounts ( tip down and quick connect adaptors for the antenna should you wish to use them) as well as repair ends. the repair end I used simply required cutting the cable at the oem mount (remove and discard the mount), this mount serves as repair end and mount combined and takes all types of antennas with a 3/8 " mount which makes it pretty univesal and simple to do. once you mount the antenna check your swr. if your bike originally used one antenna for both radio and CB you don't need to do anything else because it will have a multiplex box that does it for you.http://truckcitycbgps.com/Images/image_antenna_mounts/203EZ%20Lift%20and%20lay%20mount.JPGhttp://truckcitycbgps.com/Images/image_antenna_mounts/SM31%20Through%20up%20to%201%20inch%20hole%20mount.JPG

Edited by saddlebum

plus a firefly antenna will screw right on top and you are good to go. I changed mine last year and was impressed with the difference...
which firefly antenna is it that carries both am/fm and cb on same antenna. I looked at the website and could not tell which one would work. And what about finding the splicer box

On our trip to SC, I came out of the motel and the top section of my antenna was gone. There is about an eighth inch sticking out that the set screw is holding in. Anyone got a good suggestion on finding something to go back in it?

RandyA

That's the problem I have. Can it be fixed?

You need to find an old antenna and cut the end off. Usually it will be to big of a diameter so you would need to grind/sand down the cut end so it will fit into the hole.

If you live close to a Ham Radio store or a Radio shack I think you can find something that will work.

Can't remember the length you need for the stinger but I believe it is 18 and 1/4 inches or was it 16 1/4? Someone could go measure theirs and you should make it a little longer so you can tune it.

BOO

which firefly antenna is it that carries both am/fm and cb on same antenna. I looked at the website and could not tell which one would work. And what about finding the splicer box

the splitter box or multiplex box (proper term) will already be part of your bike and take care of al that for you, you need not worry about,

You need to find an old antenna and cut the end off. Usually it will be to big of a diameter so you would need to grind/sand down the cut end so it will fit into the hole.

If you live close to a Ham Radio store or a Radio shack I think you can find something that will work.

Can't remember the length you need for the stinger but I believe it is 18 and 1/4 inches or was it 16 1/4? Someone could go measure theirs and you should make it a little longer so you can tune it.

BOO

as i said cut off the original mount and install the one shown in the picture and everything will fit and work just fine no need to get complicated

I'm a little confused by the firefly set up. Is it for am/fm also? do you have to change the mount? Do you have to change the cable?

Sorry it took so long to return an answer. Here is the link to the posts when I changed my antenna. There are also pics included if you read through all the oposts. I used the Firefly FL3. Works excellent. I was receiving signals that I never heard before. The old antenna would hear anything out of sight of me. I'm a ham radio operor too and had some better coax here already so I changed the cable from th CB radio to the antenna. There are two types of ends at the antenna. One I went with was the PL connector. Also there is a antenna base that uses crimp-on lugs. Either will perform the same, but I like the looks of the connector over the lugs.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24485]CB Antenna Question - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

I'm a little confused by the firefly set up. Is it for am/fm also? do you have to change the mount? Do you have to change the cable?

You are over thinking it, the firefly is a CB antenna, (any cb antenna will do the firefly is just one due to performance and size that is prefered by maney, in my own case I prefered the Wilson version of the firefly both have tunable tips. The am/fm part is taken care of by the multiplex/splitter mounted inside the right side fairng (you do not need to mess with this. ) after installing simple get someone with a swr meter to adjust the tunable tip (in a pinch it is pretty safe to set the tunable tip about mid way) cb and am/fm will now work fine.

I took some picks of my setup inc. one wiith and one without the tip down adaptor, I prefer without the adaptor but it is a convenient option if you tarp your bike.

Also you will notice in the picture there is an extra wire attached to the bottom of the antenna this is simply a wilson feature for truck mounts or fiberglass mounting were grounding may be an issue just leave it loose as shown in the picture.