IGNORED

Gas Mileage

hunter 1500

I've had my 88 Venture Royale for a little over a year. 37 is the worst, 43 is the best. 40 mpg is what I can count on during a trip (easy to do the math about the next fuel stop...) Any more mpg, I consider that a bonus. Not the best, but at least 40 is a reliable number.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

After doing the needle adjustment on my 1st gen, I am seeing at least a 10 to 15%improvement or more. I am also paying more attention to it and I am routinely getting 42/45 with as good as 48mpg. It really does make a big difference, as expected, on how I ride. I am getting about as good 2up as 1up because I tend to crank it on a bit harder when alone, especially with as good as it has been running lately.

I have not made any long 70+ interstate trips in a while, but even though I am probably better than before, it does drop when I run at that speed and above for long periods. I am still wondering if there would be any improvement in that range if I replaced my trans with a 2nd gen trans and installed a V-Max rear. I know that it would drop my rpm's in 5th, but that may not help as I would still be pushing the same air. But, I hate seeing that 4,000 rpm,s at a little above 70mph.

RandyA

I have owned 7 Ventures, 4 1st gens and 3 2nd gens. All of them have gotten between 38 and 42 mpg depending on how bad my rightwristitis has been on any certain day. Obviously if I babied it I got better, if your getting 41 your doing pretty good.

I have had 5 Royal Stars and all have gotten as you say. However I recently have been able to get in the high 40s. My secret is Shell Premium,(no ethenal) and riding with my wife. She decided this year she no longer wants to speed and I can only drive 2 or 3 miles over the speed limit when she follows me on her Stratoliner. However I figure if I put a speedo healer on her bike, and set it to read 5-7 mph low, I will be able to get back to normal.

Just did a 1,711 mile trip average 43 mpg 05 Venture using Marvel Mystery oil gas treatment 2 0z per tank of fuel, the wife's vtx average 46 mpg, I don't know how and why but without it on a 1500 mile trip last year the venture only average 38-40, and the wife's vtx 40-42 mpg.:322:

Just finished a 4k+ trip. Put 108 gallons thru her. This is what I "averaged";

mpg was anywhere from a low of 32mpg to a high of 49mpg with an overall average of 38mpg. Most of the time I ran 89 octane as regular was only 85 with the corn juice in it.

The best I've gotten with my 06 Venture is 59 mpg (imperial) which = 50mpg US. As the speedometer is out approx 7% I clocked my mileage with the GPS so that I would get true values. What surprised me was that I was riding two-up... the best I've ever recorded riding solo is 56 mpg (imperial).

I’m running with iridium plugs, 89 octane fuel, Rotella Synthetic oil, a Kumo PowerStar car tire and have 30,000 Miles on the scoot. I'm a happy camper!

I know I've mentioned it on here before, but I'll mention it again...

When we took our East coast trip from Omaha last summer, the farther east we went, the better the gas mileage. On the way home, the closer to Omaha we went the worse the gas mileage.

Now for this year's trip to the West coast, the same thing happened. The farther West we went, the better the gas mileage. The closer we got to home, the mileage went down again.

It must be different mixtures of the gas for different areas of the country.

craigr

I know I've mentioned it on here before, but I'll mention it again...

When we took our East coast trip from Omaha last summer, the farther east we went, the better the gas mileage. On the way home, the closer to Omaha we went the worse the gas mileage.

Now for this year's trip to the West coast, the same thing happened. The farther West we went, the better the gas mileage. The closer we got to home, the mileage went down again.

It must be different mixtures of the gas for different areas of the country.

craigr

Could that be because of different elevations?