IGNORED

New and Interested

on2wheels

Hello. I have been reading the threads for awhile now and registered today. I am an owner of a 2006 Ultra, love the bike. I will say no more on that.

I was considering a new one but a number of reasons have me considering other choices like keeping the Ultra and getting a second bike. I am aware of the insurance etc on two bikes. Not looking for any info other than directly related to the RSV.

I have not had a big interest in the RSV but find it is growing on me. The bike is very well liked by the owners. In addition to that I feel like the RSV is a bargain to be had as all I have been looking at are months on the floor and dusty. A near by dealership had a new Voyager for months and 4 Wings and an RSV. All for many months. I went in the other day and two Wings and the Voyager were gone. The RSV still sits there and I have never even seen any one looking at it. It is the sand color and another near by shop has the red. I believe one is the S model.

Combine all that with a 5 yr warranty and my interest is sparked more.

I had had Yamaha 550 and a 750 in the 70's. Great quality then and now.

I would like input pro and con on the 2009 RSV. I realize the bike has changed little and this will be a biased group of owners.

I have seen a few complain about heat, huh, can not be as bad as a Harley. I hae seen many complaints on the whine.

Any thing else?

Thank you very much for the time and objective discussion in advance.

I say take it for a ride. Preferably a long ride. When I first rode one it wasn't what I expected. It is so different from a V-Twin. I actually like the way a V-twin runs and feels around town, but the water cooled V-4 beats it when you get away from the red lights and on the highway.

The only time I've had any issues with heat, I was going to a wedding. It was July and I was wearing a pair of dress shoes that must be made of plastic or something. They conduct heat like crazy and my feet got very hot. Since then I've put a set of highway pegs on, so I won't have that problem even if I'm ignorant enough to wear those shoes again.

Some of these bikes have an annoying (to some) whine, and some are worse than others. Mine can't be heard when I wear a full or 3/4 helmet, but I can hear it with a half helmet. It doesn't bother me.

I love the handling and the ride and so does my wife.

I say take it for a ride. Preferably a long ride. When I first rode one it wasn't what I expected. It is so different from a V-Twin. I actually like the way a V-twin runs and feels around town, but the water cooled V-4 beats it when you get away from the red lights and on the highway.

The only time I've had any issues with heat, I was going to a wedding. It was July and I was wearing a pair of dress shoes that must be made of plastic or something. They conduct heat like crazy and my feet got very hot. Since then I've put a set of highway pegs on, so I won't have that problem even if I'm ignorant enough to wear those shoes again.

Some of these bikes have an annoying (to some) whine, and some are worse than others. Mine can't be heard when I wear a full or 3/4 helmet, but I can hear it with a half helmet. It doesn't bother me.

I love the handling and the ride and so does my wife.

Bet with a full-face you wouldn't hear it at all.

Well first off...Welcome to the Family!!

I have never owned a Ultra, but rode a freinds `06 Ultra Clasic S/E... nice bike, but not for what he paid for it. not sure how tall you are, I`m 6`1 and the RSV has more room, the Ultra had me sitting more upright then the RSV, do you ride Solo or 2up?? you will find the navigator will have more room on the RSV and the heat is really not a problem. Mine has a whine, but probably not as loud as some, some have no whine at all. As you may know, all bikes has there pro`s and Con`s..so you just have to take each into consideration. It looks like you have done your home work on the RSV. Have you had the chance to ride one?? If not you should, it is not a V-twin as you know and the V4 likes to be wound out..high revs. the rev limit is set around 6500rpms so there is no way you are going to hurt it.. just twist the throtle and let her go..

Others will chime in I`m sure.. Best wishes with what ever way you go..and remember you do not have to ride a RSV to be in the Family..

Kreg

:Venture:

I believe those that have the whine are in the minority. Remember that you will usually hear negative comments first. It must be human nature. I don't have the whine. I've also installed the shorter leveling links, which does raise the seat a bit, but, does make the bike easier to maneuver at parking lot speeds. I also put the medium Clearview windshield on it (still had to cut it down 1.5 inches) with the vent so I can now see over it. This bike is the Cadillac of touring bikes, IMO. Doesn't get much smoother. Take the rpms up & it really goes. Enjoy.

I too love the V-twin as I had an 02 Suzuki Volusia. Wanted something bigger and with two daughters in college it wasn't going to be a high end touring bike and as I spent months on this website , e-bay and doing internet research I kept coming back to the venture, cost style and warranty were indeed factors. Have it RSV since April 2008 and yea I got a little whine in 5th gear but turn up radio and with helmet, add some roadking exhaust bored out and don't hear a thing put pure V-4 power and rumble. ride everyday to work and ride every weekend and oh the cruise control is a big plus. Plenty of storage and more importantly Mama loves the back seat!! You can't go wrong!!! My two cents!! Ride Safe, Pray Daily Brian D.

They are great bikes. Of course you knew you would hear that. They are fast. An HD may get you off the line but all I can say is hold on when you get to third. They are V4's so smooth goes without saying. But you'll need to rethink you riding habits. The bike needs to be wound out to be in its power band. Cruising at 65 in third is smooth. The rear shock tends to go bad and they are 500 a pop. But your covered for 5 years so that's not a problem for a while. They are big bikes. Longer than the ultra and a little heavier. But overall a good bike. Test ride before you buy. And see if you can put a couple of hundred on it too.

I have the '09 and now 8k miles. I have not yet experienced any of the whines or chirps. I have not owned a HD, but nearly all my friends have them and they are nice, but not for me. The RSV is probably the finest motorcycle for comfort and performance in the touring class that I have ever experienced in my 40+ years of riding. You will not be disappointed. By all means if you can demo one, do so.

:080402gudl_prv:

Welcome to the family. It doesn't matter if you get the RSV or not your part of the group. We joke back and forth and do a bit of picking in fun. Other then that doesn't matter what you ride. Plus you are talking about keeping both bikes which I think would be great. Can never have too many bikes. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Margaret

In my opinion the RSV is the most comfortable, very reliable, and handles great to me.

(My personel opinion) I am one who does not like V-Twins at all, my wife has a road star which she loves, and it rides good. but I hate the way a V-Twin runs and sounds.

My motto is ( put the v-twin back in lawnmower where it belongs)

Enough of my bull,.

The RSV is a bike you have to learn, they are great machines, nearly bulletproof engines, but they are different, while they share the looks of the ultra, the RSV handles completely differently. The first time I rode one I really didn't like it, but I had already bought it.

Then I took it on a long ride, and FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. I now on my third RSV white 2004, sold the red because I decided I wanted white.

Most who ride the RSV really like them, most on here have made mods to personelize their bikes, in different ways handling and looks.

Truely the only way to tell how you will personelly like a bike is to take it for a ride, along ride, ofcourse that goes for any bike.

welcome onboard and all always ask for advice, there always seems to be someone on here that is knowledgable about any subject.

Gregg

Edited by footsie
left out words

In my opinion the RSV is the most comfortable, very reliable, and handles great to me.

(My personel opinion) I am one who does not like V-Twins at all, my wife has a road star which she loves, and it rides good. but I hate the way a V-Twin runs and sounds.

My motto is ( put the v-twin back in lawnmower where it belongs)

Enough of my bull,.

The RSV is a bike you have to learn, they are great machines, nearly bulletproof engines, but they are different, while they share the looks of the ultra, the RSV handles completely differently. The first time I rode one I really didn't like it, but I had already bought it.

Then I took it on a long ride, and FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. I now on my third RSV white 2004, sold the red because I decided I wanted white.

Most who ride the RSV really like them, most on here have made mods to personelize their bikes, in different ways handling and looks.

Truely the only way to tell how you will personelly like a bike is to take it for a ride, along ride, ofcourse that goes for any bike.

welcome onboard and all always ask for advice, there always seems to be someone on here that is knowledgable about any subject.

Gregg

What made you fall in love with the venture? Could you describe exactly?

Well to start with after riding for a few miles, I began to realize the seating position was perfect for me, like the V-4 sound and accelleration.

The handling was something that came after a couple 2000 miles on the RSV, I began to realize that it was not the bikes handling, but the way I was handling the bike.

I have said in several posts the venture is a bike you have to learn, once I caught on the its characteristics, the really handles very well, even at slow speeds.

I only put about 2500 on the 99 venture that I had, then a friend wanted it so I sold it to him. Missed it so much I bought the red 2000 two weeks later. Put 12,000 miles on it, during that time I put the nexum car tire on the back, then the avon cobra on frount, and wahooo the bike handles like dream. Unfortunately had I told Micky I would sell it to him, and he took me up on it. I want a white one anyway, found a white 2004 with 8800 miles on it. It had bridgestones on it when I bought it, made it ride and handle like a dog.

I changed the tires to the kumho ct on back and Avon cobra on frount, and it rides and handles perfectly.

For me the venture has everthing I wanted, the seating position is very comfortable,

with riser blocks the handle are in the position, the V-4 motor had the sound, and the power is acceptable( I came off a valkyrie that would run like a bat outa h"""" pure gut wrenching power) so no comparison but the venture certainly has plenty of power.

I like the controls, the sound system, cruise. I am just very comfortable on the bike.

The only thing I want to see yamaha do to the venture is fuel injection, and replace the cassette deck with gauges from the factory, otherwise it is the perfect machine to me. XM from factory would be nice but not necessary. I have an aftermarket that works great.

Gregg

Guest tx2sturgis
I have to say I don't think the price is all that good anymore. MSRP on the 2010 $19,690 WOW. I paid $18,500 when I brought my 08 Ultra. How does yama justify a nearly $2000 increase with no changes????

Well, nobody EVER pays MSRP on these. You can figure on $2000 to $4000 under that.

Try getting that much discount off sticker price on a Harley Ultra ( wont happen) and then the HD dealers add freight, prep and so on...and what does it cost now for a 5 year extended warantee on a new Ultra?? Last time I checked it was over $1000 and thats included with the Venture.

One thing thats hurting the import bikes right now is the 'landed cost'...the transportation costs to get the darn things to the dealer. Fuel for transoceanic freighters and then the trains and trucks to get them to the dealer...all of them use that liquid gold.

Still, your point is valid. No upgrades and yet, a price hike? I think the Yamaha people want to keep some image of the Venture being a premium bike...by making it cost about what any other premium touring bike sells for. Then the buyer feels great when they can simply ask for and receive a huge markdown.

Dontcha love the marketing people?

Edited by tx2sturgis

I had a 2003 Venture. Never had one ounce of trouble with the bike. I could ride 700 miles a day with no issues. In March I traded with a friend here on the site for his 2008 Goldwing. I like the wing and its luxuries, but miss the RSV. It was much more comfortable. Only able to do 699 miles a day now :rotf:.

Good luck on your decision and as others have said, no matter what you ride you will enjoy this group. To get its full benefits try to attend one of the many M&E or rallies. Great folks here.

The heat on a Venture is a very different thing than your HD - very little heat actually radiates off the engine and the pipes. The problem here with the Venture is that the fairing just provides such complete coverage that there is no air flow in there at all to move the heat out that percolates up from the radiator. The great thing about that fairing is that you will stay pretty dry in just about any type of rain as long as you are doing at least 60 mph, but that doesn't help much when it is dry, hot, and you are in traffic moving slow!

ANY kind of vent in the windshield will break that dead air pocket and greatly improve the heat issue. I like the round pop vents because they are less than $20 and can be installed in about 15 minutes. A Wing-type vent is nice too, as it can be set to direct the air flow onto your face or chest as long as you don't mind the sliced and diced bugs.

But the most important thing is to NOT ride that bike like a V-twin. If you do, you will think it is a real dog. Keep the revs up. Do not grab a big handful of throttle in 5th gear unless you are above 3,000 RPM (about 70 mph). You can comfortably ride in traffic or country roads in 5th gear at anything above 40, accelerating at about the normal rate of the caged traffic around you. But if you try to accelerate too fast with the RPMs too low, it will shake and pound while it struggles to get out of its own way! If you are cruising behind a number of cars and trucks around 65 and see a chance to squirt around if you are quick, you want to kick that puppy down to 3rd and twist it hard - that will take you up to 96 darned quick before you feel the rev limiter cause the engine to falter a bit, and if you still want more, 4th will bury the speedo above 120 just as fast.

Hope you find what you like! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

Oh yeah...I forgot about the heat question....I have posted this before but I guess it bears repeating.

The guys on here complaining about heat from the Venture have no clue. Try riding a fully faired Ultra across the desert when its 110 degrees. You will be broiled. BROILED I SAY!

There is no comparison. The heat ( what little there is) from the Venture motor is all pouring out from the radiator, and when its around 90 or above outside, the fan tends to dump that hot air on your boots. Simple matter of moving your feet up to the highway pegs that you've paid good money to add!

There is no discomfort on the Venture from exhaust heat, as is the case with the Ultra. Sure, you can take the lowers OFF of the Ultra, but then you lose all that protection when you go over a mountain pass and its 42 degrees and raining...

And BTW...I guess mine has a whine....not too bad tho, but it does seem to get progressively worse for the first 1000-2000 miles then kinda level out as the gears wear-in....I dont wear a helmet so I just crank up the tunes and ignore it. I have never heard any kind of 'chirp'...and I know for a fact that some riders mistake gear whine for tire whine and vice versa.

The Venture will NEVER sound like your beloved Harley and its potato-potato sound...that will be a thing of the past. Aftermarket pipes on the Venture simply bring out the 'purr' or 'growl' that the V4 motor makes.

Your fuel mileage will not be as good as on the Ultra, but only by 5 mpg or so...and since the Venture has a 6 gallon tank and uses regular fuel, instead of the pricey high-octane stuff, its a wash.

The main reasons I bought a Venture, when I owned a 'perfectly' good touring bike, are that the Venture has more OOOMPH to pull a trailer, and not over-work the motor on hot days climbing grades riding 2 up, and the other reason...besides price?

Dont tell anyone...but the fact is, it was starting to cost big bucks to keep the Ultra on the road...I have spent a lot of money on it...the motor has been worked on 6 times....Five of those were under warranty in the first 3 months, but now its costing ME to do this stuff. I've added a stabilizer kit ($500+labor,+labor to adjust head bearings and such) to address the 'rear-steer' problem, added aftermarket shocks ($450) cuz the stockers wore out, and then had to have the dreaded cam-shoes and chain drive replaced ($1100)...now its due for a top end at 75,000 miles and the dealer STILL cant get the EFI to idle right since the new cams were put in. Due soon also is a complete motor mount and swingarm bushing replacement...and the inner fairing support stanchions have broken off....list goes on and on....

Add in the little things like 10K maintenence at the dealer of around $400 every year or so and not to mention the tires and filters and oil...oh did I mention? I keep having to buy a new horn every year! lol...

On the plus side...It has NEVER stranded me by the side of the road, other than tire flats, and it always starts no matter the temps. EVERYBODY else likes it...girls, kids, and old men...and it sure sounds good when its running! The problem with that scenario is that no-one else is paying the repair bills except ME!

I guess when I get 75,000 miles on my Venture I may be seeing some repairs...we'll see....for now? I rarely ever ride the Ultra anymore and have been thinkin of selling it....There ya go. When I cull the fleet, the Ultra may be the one that's eliminated.

Nuff said. Again.

Edited by tx2sturgis

What made you fall in love with the venture? Could you describe exactly?

For me, it just fit right. I'm not a small guy. I've ridden a friends 'glide and it seemed small. I LOVE the engine!:hurts: Wind this sucker up and it just goes and goes.:banana: as well as lasting forever! The bike comes with everything on it that many companies charge extra for. Didn't mind the cassette cause I used my xm radio cassette adapter there. If the worst thing someone can complain about the Venture is that it has a cassette, then you don't have any real problems in your life.:stirthepot: I don't have any chirps or whines or anything else that would make it less perfect. My only problem is that tires and brakes wear out! :8:

I have to disagree with the gas statement, the harley's that I ride with All put more gas in at every stop than I, the last time me and bobby(07 eletraglide) rode, he put at least 1/2 gallon more than my Venture each stop.

Have ridden with some that were the same, but never better, now karren's road star beats me every time.

gregg

Come on a harley guy talking about changes, 2009 harley looks like the 1950, thay have not changed the fairing or saddlebags, since then, maybe a little cosmetic, and yes the updated the engines, but they had to, they were pure junk.

They did fuel inject, but were forced by EPA regs. There reliability has greatly improved, but then again, thats the Idea, Harley makes efforts to improve the product without affecting the looks. They fight water cooled because thay don't want a radiator changing the bikes appearance. True Harley Riders don't want anything changed.

Hence Yamaha's stance on the Venture, They do not need to alter the looks, just give us fuel injection, and put the gauges where the tape deck is. Leave the looks alone untill the end of Yamaha.

Harley with never change the basic look of the ELECTRA GLIDE, Ultra.